SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Real Estate People - What should I expect from my agent?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate People - What should I expect from my agent? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This may be the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...nnel=HEY-UMediagroup

Actually, these folks are all over the place. Keep looking.

Hah! According to Mrs. PHPaul, that is definitely not the problem. Big Grin

I get that this stuff takes time and they're busier than a one-armed paperhanger right now, but at least COMMUNICATE with me!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Well good luck!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I'll give it until COB Monday and then I'm fucking done.
If I understand correctly, an agent works for a broker. The broker gets a cut of the commission that is generated by the agent.

I have a shiny new nickel to wager, if the broker were to be informed of the agent's non-performance in this case, there might be a discussion between the broker and the agent, maybe a bit reminiscent of a discussion that might take place between a chief and a non-performing seaman.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'll give it until COB Monday and then I'm fucking done.
If I understand correctly, an agent works for a broker. The broker gets a cut of the commission that is generated by the agent.

I have a shiny new nickel to wager, if the broker were to be informed of the agent's non-performance in this case, there might be a discussion between the broker and the agent, maybe a bit reminiscent of a discussion that might take place between a chief and a non-performing seaman.

Yes, well...

The broker is Sargent Real Estate. The agent who looked at the house was Teri Sargent. I don't think there'd be a whole lot of ass-chewing going on under the circumstances.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I was told because the agent showed the house, no matter if I fired her or not, she would still get the commission because she "showed" the house.

umm... I think it comes down to contract law in the state. Will be interested in what attorney's might say in this thread.

However, if you allowed them to show the house it would seem there was at least a verbal agreement to compensate them if the house sold. (If not legally, at least ethically.)

Umm...no, there was no agreement, verbal or otherwise. If you call "show the house" the agent unlocking the door and letting me in, then that meets your definition of "show the house" according to what the agent did for me. My house is brand new so it was empty and the agent had to do nothing other than unlock the door and let me look around.

I'm a very ethical person, but when it comes to someone getting paid because they "show a house" that rubs me the wrong way. She got her commission in the end but I have a hard time with her getting paid for the little work she did. I could probably start a thread about my experience with her...

Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

ummm... i think we said the say thing as far a contract law. If I was a bit soft it was to allow wiggle room - I'm not a lawyer, I was trying to leave open the possibility that, under state law, they created a verbal contract.

But we will have to agree to disagree on the ethics issue. No sane realtor would agree to show a house without the expectation of a commission if it sold to the person they introduced. Nobody should allow a realtor to show a house without the expectation of paying a commission if that agent sells it. I'm not talking broad strokes here. You let realtor A show the house to person Y. If Y buys the house it's fair and equitable to compensate A. Realtor A should have no expectation of showing to anyone other than Y and would not be due a commission if anyone other than Y purchases the house.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I have bad breath? Do I need to shower more often? Am I on some sort of nation-wide realty shitlist?

Second agency came by Thursday morning, looked it all over, gave us a spiel about how hot the market is right now and told me she'd go back to the office, look at some comps and get back to us with a suggested price by Friday, or no later than Saturday morning.

It is now 4:30PM on Saturday. Not a peep. Answering machine on at the office this morning. She didn't leave any personal contact information.

I'll give it until COB Monday and then I'm fucking done. They can drag my stinking corpse out of this place in a body bag.

A co-worker started a painting company on the side. Hired a few crews and had a couple stringers. Got so busy he was ready to quit his full time job. I asked what the key was to his success. He said he had a good idea of the market - what everyone was charging. He said most customers want 3-5 quotes. Said he was often the only one that showed up for the appointment. Said he NEVER missed an appointment.

Seems like business 101 that these realtors are over promising.

I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I see the agent is the broker owner in one of these cases. But apart from that the idea a broker would ream an agent isn't really something that would happen. At least for my fiance the broker doesn't know anything about who she is showing what and when. The brokerage only finds out when offers are accepted and such...

But I'm perplexed by the lack of communication. My fiance is on the computer and phone constantly, she gets new listings the info within hours of seeing the house. But I guess that's why she's a top agent around here and other agents only do a couple of transactions per year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think about changing brokers.

Check out their listings on their website.

https://www.sargentre.com/real-estate/our-listings/

The sold listings lists the office that sold the listings.

I would check out one of the offices that has sold a lot of properties off the list.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
The commission is 6%. She'd make north of $15K if we got our asking price.

Methinks I'll be shopping around in the morning.

In CA, if my memory serves, it is a max of 3% to the seller's agent and 3% to the buyer's agent.

If the two agents are the same person, then the person gets the full 6%.

Think also, if she is representing you and the buyer, who does she owe her duty to - you who wants the price of the house as high as possible (and hence a larger pay check) or the buyer, who wants to pay as little as possible.

Kind of a conflict of interest right there. Wink

No conflict of interest. By and large (there are exceptions) every realtor is totally and completely loyal to the deal (and by extension the commission). When you hear, “yeah, yeah, we’ll take care of that.” make darned sure you get it in writing.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My fiancé usually won’t represent the buyer and seller. It does happen but it can be a pain in the ass if there is some problem. Both the buyer and seller may think the realtor is giving preferential treatment to the other. When she has open houses she brings another agent along to pick up buyers that aren’t represented yet, just to avoid dual agency.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Dad was a Realtor for over 30 years and on the go 7 days a week during that time.

There's no excuse for a lack of communication. I'd look for another.

Have any of your neighbors recently bought or sold in your area? If so, I'd ask them their opinions.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We could eliminate all of these issues once Amazon gets into the real estate business and eliminates the need for Realtors and the commission structure.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
We could eliminate all of these issues once Amazon gets into the real estate business and eliminates the need for Realtors and the commission structure.

Amazon was starting to get involved but it seems to have fizzled. I doubt they would be able to eliminate the need to realtors. There is just too much complexity to the transactions. They could definitely cut into the pie. I sure as hell hope they don’t find a way to eliminate more jobs.

These go to eleven.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A large part of the problem is that it's too easy to become a licensed broker and sell homes.

Being too easy means that you're going to get all sorts of levels of competence and incompetence.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
A large part of the problem is that it's too easy to become a licensed broker and sell homes.

Being too easy means that you're going to get all sorts of levels of competence and incompetence.

That's definitely part of it. Lots of realtors only do the gig part time. They have other day jobs and think they can just do real estate on the side. Then they can't be attentive like they need to be. Until a realtor quits all her other jobs and has to rely on real estate alone she won't be successful.

These go to eleven.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
So, I have had positive experiences with the Keller Williams franchise buying, selling, and managing my properties over six years in three states. I can't promise you'll have the same experience but if there's a franchise near you, probably worth a call.

As other posters have said, hustle = money in real estate. Poor communication is a really bad sign, they're either overloaded or do not prioritize you as a client.

When we moved to purchase out here, we contacted three different realtors from three different firms, and wound up going with the KW realtor who got us into our home. Shopping around before you commit to an agent seems to yield good results for me.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This a local problem and you’ll need to research local agents/brokers. A good franchise name in one location means little to nothing elsewhere.
You want a full time agent that has been doing this for years and you want someone else representing the buyer.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
make sure that you read the agreement carefully

when I was selling my house in NH the broker was getting 5%

the contract read that if I found someone to buy the house on my own, the broker still got the commission - for doing zip

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, some progress finally.

The agent that looked at the house last Thursday responded this morning with an apology for the delay (which is appreciated).

The analysis she presented and the number she came up with is well within our expectations and we will go ahead with the listing.

Wish us luck!

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
make sure that you read the agreement carefully

when I was selling my house in NH the broker was getting 5%

the contract read that if I found someone to buy the house on my own, the broker still got the commission - for doing zip

This is to keep buyers and sellers from trying to go behind the agents back to screw them out of their commission and even then, it happens.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post