SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mashed Potatoes Mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mashed Potatoes Mystery Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Weird prank of some sort, can wait until they unmask the villain and we find out what the heck is going on.

Mississippi community left confused after bowls of mashed potatoes mysteriously keep appearing

It's a mashed Mississippi mystery.

Jackson residents were mystified after bowls of mashed potatoes suddenly appeared on their cars, porches and mailboxes.

Jordan Lewis described the Belhaven neighborhood as a quirky one, with residents decorating road signs and putting Christmas trees in potholes.

But the probe into the puzzling potato problem is even new for them.

Lewis told WLBT-TV she spotted her first bowl of mashed potatoes on her car’s windshield.

“I walked outside yesterday morning at 7 a.m. and I got in my car and that’s when I noticed a white bowl on my windshield. It was full of rainwater. I threw it away and I was grossed out by it,” she said. “I just thought this is a harmless prank by some kids or college students in the area."

Michaela Lin said she found a bowl of mashed potatoes on her mailbox. She said some of the potato-finders have connections to Belhaven University, a local private Christian university, which may be a clue.

“So far I have realized some of the ‘victims’ of the mashed potatoes are actually staff or Belhaven students or alumni. I feel like there has to be a connection there!” Lin told WLBT-TV.

However, Sebastian Bjernegard said some residents fear there’s a more sinister message behind the potatoes.

"Some people were thinking maybe the mashed potatoes were poisoned to kill animals," he told WJTV, noting he almost stepped into a bowl of potatoes Tuesday. "I didn't taste it. I have a three-second rule, so I didn't touch it. But some people were worried."

It was not immediately clear if anyone has eaten the potatoes. News outlets reported residents have not alerted law enforcement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20868 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Some people have way too much time on their hands.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17322 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well it's probably a transplanted student from up north, no self respecting crazy prankster southerner would leave bowls of mashed potatoes,

They'd leave a bowl of Grits... Big Grin

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a college motivated prank. Reminds me of the morning we woke up and found our front yard covered in plastic forks.

Nice forks btw.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe an Irish Celtic votive thing...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43933 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Maybe they used instant potatoes to save time. Big Grin

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Or Idaho?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I may or may not know the people that spent years decorating the pothole...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well it's probably a transplanted student from up north, no self respecting crazy prankster southerner would leave bowls of mashed potatoes,

Instant grits maybe Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob Evans?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16145 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Or Idaho?

Your promiscuity does not interest me...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43933 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Perhaps instant potato mixes cost less than TP......... Eek

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Or at least include the gravy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone just wants to Make America Grate Again.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16402 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

...News outlets reported residents have not alerted law enforcement.

Now, that's my kind of people! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9190 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post