SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ate a Y2K MRE this afternoon UPDATE page-2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ate a Y2K MRE this afternoon UPDATE page-2 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In 63 on KP we had to open cans of C rations of Beef and Beans for evening chow. It wasn't bad considering they were made in late 42. These were called "Squad" rations, and in the cans were also two rolls of toilet paper and two packs of Lucky Strick cigarettes with "I shall return."on the label.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" Freezing Cold winters "

Roll Eyes
just where in So Cal are you ?
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Depending on how things come out, you may want to post over in the colonoscopy-prep thread.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably one of my favorites when I was in ROTC in the late 80s and the National Guard in the early 1990s. Also the last time I ate them. So they MAY have passed through by now.

In ROTC Advanced Camp, the fricking smell of MRE shits in the open bay barracks could make me gag.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the old joke about getting lucky strikes in a green package in your k rations

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
You should have done a video, like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8f5Kj_CrY

Nice. Let's get it on a tray.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ha, we had number 10 cans of peanut butter when I was on a ship, that we had to stir the oil back into the peanut at the bottom. IIRC they were from Korea war era.

And, we were shooting 20mm ammo from 1930’s in 1991, so 40 year old food was nothing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11287 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the beef and chicken stew MRE's we're just Dinty Moore in a pouch.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
You should have done a video, like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8f5Kj_CrY

Nice. Let's get it on a tray.

Beat me to it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ahhh.... You have not lived until you have dined on the specialty of the house.... Ham and Muthas.
Heated on the engine of a deuce and a half!

I remember, sometimes not so fondly, eating cold C-Rats in the field. I was in communications and spent a LOT of time sitting on German mountain tops doing relay work when any of our combat command (regiments) were on the road or in one of the major training areas. Pork and beans were pretty good, and the "accessory" packs like cheese and crackers were not bad.

I finally just stopped at German butcher shops, and bakeries and bought bread, butter and a variety of cold cuts. Made things a lot better for me and my team mates.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
OK, so 2-days later and everything is fine! In response to some questions that pooped up er I mean popped up;

I have never liked Tabasco sauce. Love any other hot sauce but not Tabasco. The Tabasco bottle in the pouch was a deep red but my guess being vinegary it was still good.

Only tried the stew and not crackers/cheese. That will be for another day in the garage.

And a side note, Mountain House Biscuits and Gravy pouches are DELICIOUS!!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
your experience meshes with mine:

give it the smell test and observe for obvious contamination

if its good in that regard you should be fine

MREs are loaded with salt and preservatives

they may lose consistency, texture, some taste but generally are good MUCH longer than the exp. suggests

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post