SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turkey Hunting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Hunting Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Our spring turkey season here is the month of May and it's usually a great time to be out (temps in the 50's and 60's). I've been out a handful of times this season and have heard nothing. The most excitement I've had is when a fat raccoon wandered out at sunrise to examine my decoys. I am becoming an expert on being where the birds aren't. I am also wondering if our cold spring comes into play. Sunday morning felt more like deer season with snow and temps in the high 20's. Anyone had any success?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a farmstead up on Highway 6, going in too the big city. It had 12: turkeys in the bean field , then ten days later it had 7 birds right in the front yard,

Well the next time that we passed by, I drove pretty slow

Turns out that the same 7 turkeys were in the same part of the yard.

I pulled over and glassed them from about 130 yards, they were silhouette decoys .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
bendable, that's a lot of decoys!

I am not as passionate about turkey hunting. My true passion is deer hunting. However, I always love getting out in the woods and fields and with the COVID19 crap going on being able to get out and away has been good for me.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Geez..New York is plastered with turkey. Pretty common down in the southern tier to see flocks of 20 to 80 plus birds.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine tried hunting them for years & could never get lucky. Then he hit one going 65 mph in his truck. Flew up and demolished his grill & side mirror.

I gave him hell over it. Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We have to dodge them all the time on the ranch. The funniest was the time one of them puffed all up and was trying to chase the wife’s SUV off.

Until PG&E reframed the 12KV line running up the valley we had a power outage every two to three days last spring. They’d roost in the oaks on the south hillside, then fly down to the field early in the morning and way too often one would hit the southern most leg, drive it into the center leg, and pop there goes two fuses. The coyotes soon figured that pop meant a snack was waiting for them.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You are not alone, I've heard the same from several people.
I was out the first six days in NY. Heard NOTHING. And that's never happened before.

From what I gather, a combination of windy, rain, full moon, no leaves on the trees and just funky weather (low 20's and snow the second week of May?) made for the perfect storm of Tom's not gobbling.

I plan on going again late in the month... and battle the hell of a million flies.

Oddly, I probably saw more turkeys after hours, or in people's fields and yards than I have in years. Just no gobbling.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I see at least a dozen every time I go for a drive in Franklin County VA../

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Let’s see. I had 5 turkeys and 3 pheasants wander through my yard today. Just another day in NW Montana.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I saw 14 of them yesterday.
The day before opening day, I had one 4 feet away.

Not the same thing.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1st group we saw in bean field were real , the ones up in the farm yard were fake

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager in the mountains of western NC, I would see them whenever I had a rifle....six, seven, ten of the things...

Shotgun in my hand and deer would walk out of the laurels and watch me...

Bastages

My neighbor a retired federal wildlife officer could call in a turkey from his carport with only his mouth..he was about fifth generation hillbilly and knew every gap for miles around...

He was about seventy when I went to bootcamp and never saw him again but he was truly an outdoorsman.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post