SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The PBY is coming back!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The PBY is coming back! Login/Join 
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted
Catalina PBY

I wish I had the money!

I dont know how useful this will be but nevertheless its still interesting.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3927 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is so cool. I was just telling my brother the other day that one of the first things I would do if I won the powerball is find a PBY Catalina, completely restore/modernize it and then go on an adventure flying around, exploring, camping and surfing the most excellent and remote breaks.

I love that my favorite airplane is coming back. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
stickman248, change surfing to diving and you have my dream too!

I love that plane!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2075 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Every plane has to have a name. Id call mine "Strawberry 5".

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3927 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80s there was a PBY Catalina parked at an airport in North Texas about seven miles from here. It had a kangaroo painted on the tail. I read later that it had crashed while being flown to Australia.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas Bob C.,

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:

I wonder how many people will pick up on this.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24260 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I see what you did there.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I remember reading somewhere the navy had an even bigger flying boat during World War II.
It had bunk beds and a small kitchen in it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I remember reading somewhere the navy had an even bigger flying boat during World War II.

PBM Mariner

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10375 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That was the Martin Mars. I believe two of them are owned but not used by a firefighting company in Canada. Not sure if there are any flyable.
Flight engineers could walk into the wing to fix engine problems.

Posts: 18357 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
stickman248, change surfing to diving and you have my dream too!

I love that plane!

Getting a diving license is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now. My wife has one and has been bugging me to quit being lazy and get my license. She isn’t wrong. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Catalina had a small kitchen and a 10 man crew. Most likely it had bunkbeds.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28654 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm glad there is a perceived market for new planes. It may be that when enough money is spent on an original one, it implies a market for an updated and more efficent new one. 2029 is a long wait to see what a new one looks like.

Posts: 7633 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Jimmy Buffet has or had one. Great way to island hop.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2941 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Maybe my favorite airplane of WWII, I always thought flying a PBY over the Pacific would be the what I'd like do do were I there, then. Although I'd pray for heavy clouds if enemy fighters were around!
Thanks for posting the link HRK.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving The PBY Catalina For Modern Warfare Is This Company’s Goal

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

There was quite a few flying boats during the 20's and 30's. Pan Am's Flying Clippers and United Airlines made their mark on the industry transiting across the Pacific in their Boeing B-314s and Martin M-130's.

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In May, 1985, We lived in Lewistown, Montana where a couple of guys crashed one of these. The plane had been stored for years while under repair by a friend of mine. It was believed they were trying to fly off without paying a bunch of accrued taxes. Speculation. I was there shortly after the incident and took some photos that are buried somewhere around here. I see if I can dig them up.

Link

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4276 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

If I recall correctly, Jimmy Buffet has or had one. Great way to island hop.
I don't know about the PBY, but he has (or had) a Cessna Caravan with amphibious floats, registration number N208JB, similar to the one in this photo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31395 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post