SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The PBY is coming back!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The PBY is coming back! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Deck it out like one of the Black Cat squadrons!!! Now that would be cool.

Posts: 4131 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the few war stories that dad used to share was about his PBY ride .

As a 20 y.o. kid fro Easter Iowa ,he'd never been west of Des Moines.

After a train trip to the west coast and sme training he was on a ship headed to Japan and sea sick for three weeks.
While
Distributing all the mothers sons around many island they ride the PBY's.

He said it was the loudest, noisiest and unnerving way to travel.

Between the half panic of getting shot down, the terrible vibration and the taking off and landing ,it made the troop sip experience seem like like a merry go round.

Once was more than enough for him, but he would do it twice more.

But it knocked the hell out of home sick thoughts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55182 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
A friend of a Canadian guy I knew told a story of a friend of his that flew on a PBY that was being ferried from Europe to North America. His story mirrors Bendables in that it was a miserable noisy ride.

Posts: 7633 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, Jimmy Buffets' seaplane, The Hemisphere Dancer, was a Grumman Albatros.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2941 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles YT channel has an episode featuring the PBY.

https://youtu.be/iOi0o91Sw7U

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
Every plane has to have a name. Id call mine "Strawberry 5".
I see what you did there.....

The Japanese carrier fleet didn't.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
one of the first things I would do if I won the powerball is find a PBY Catalina, completely restore/modernize it and then go on an adventure flying around, exploring, camping

With your plucky band of anthropomorphic animal sidekicks?

Posts: 33063 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You left out the most important part. Surfing.

Not surfing the Catalina though. That doesn’t work out so well. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
Every plane has to have a name. Id call mine "Strawberry 5".

Great idea! Loved them since I saw that movie when I was about 9 years old.

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this idea but I am not holding my breath.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Kinda makes me want to move to Florida just so I can apply to work at this company.

What a great project to be a part of!

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
My Dad flew them out of Pensacola in WWII for ASW.

Didn't like them so much.

He told me they lost someone from one of the blisters who wasn't belted in when they hit an air pocket. Grimm times.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I love this idea but I am not holding my breath.

There's defiantly some romanticism here, however the anti-air/air denial bubble that the ChiComs can cast over a wide swath of the Pacific, makes float-planes and flying boats vulnerable.

USSOCOM has put some budget towards a study of putting pontoons onto a MC-130, this was spur'd on by some crew exchanges with Japan's US-2, which is a hybrid of the beloved Catalina and the Hercules. The need for a long-range SAR platform (Osprey's are not allowed to do at-sea rescue due to the downdrafts) is still out there.

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a neighbor/friend that was a mechanic on the PBY’s in the Pacific during the war. He was sent wherever they needed him. Kind of the “go to” guy when there was a problem. Apparently was all over the islands. Loved those planes. Was a farmer before the war. Very quiet, likeable guy.

Harry Miller.

Posts: 2159 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
The romantic in me loves the idea. I’ve never flown in one but, as a kid building scale Monogram and Revell model kits in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, I thought the Catalina was one of the coolest planes out of WW2 after the Corsair.

Re: the Strawberry 5 reference - I know I caught the film on TV. Feels like NBC ran it as maybe a two-nighter thing? I may be mis-remembering that; regardless, loved the movie.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
A C-130 converted to sea landings would be incredible and maybe more viable than bringing back the PBY though I would be quite interested in seeing both of the end results.

My father’s flight hours piloting the C-130 adds up to almost an entire year in the air with that plane. A variant that could land on water seems like the obvious choice for SAR missions and special operations during future conflicts in the pacific region.

What a C-130 with pontoons might look like. Big Grin. I’d take something like this over a PBY as it would be a perfect flying beach house/ surf spot locator. I suppose it has other useful Military applications as well. Big Grin

Reliable, very robust, excellent range and able to carry a decent payload.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post