SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are shoes getting smaller?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are shoes getting smaller? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
Last week I ordered a pair of Under Armour running shoes in size 9 1/2...my size. I have another pair of UA running shoes that actually are a tad loose. The pair that came, although marked correctly were tight! And I mean tight! I sent them back.

I then ordered a pair of Saucony running shoes also in 9 1/2. I also have another pair of them and they fit well. The pair I received today are oookay, but snug....not tight. I think the material will stretch a bit, but next I'll go with a 10.

Or at 65 years old are my feet still growing?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39284 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe so.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had to go from buying size 13 to size 14, on all my different brands of shoes and boots, when I was about 60 years old. Maybe your feet get bigger just like your ears and nose, when you get older.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'd always heard that your feet, once you're through your teenage growth spurt, don't get any bigger. Not sure I believe it. For all my adult life I've been a 8 1/2, but lately I've been having to buy either 9 or in certain brands 9 1/2. I learned many years ago that I can't buy footwear online, I have to try them on first. My feet are short, very wide, and have very high arches. All of which conspire to make it nearly impossible to find really well fitting shoes or boots.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
While your feet can widen and lengthen as you age, I don't guess it's enough to really noticeably change your size. Foreign manufacturing would be my bet. Try buying Carhartt T-shirts. Ones made in Guatemala are completely different sizes/dimensions from ones made in Honduras (or wherever they have their multiple factories).

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I am 63 yo and all of my old shoes, still in great condition, do not properly fit me anymore. My feet actually increased in size, flattened out, bones and other "infrastructure" relaxing. Just last month for shits and giggles, I tried to fit into my two pairs of biking shoes, I haven't worn them in over 10 years. They are now impossibly small to wear.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17191 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a podiatrist tell me that feet don't actually grow, instead, the ligaments and tendons that hold your feet in an arch will loosen and the length and width increase.

Everything else sags, so I suppose it's true ! Big Grin

Posts: 1298 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I guess I have to account for the changes.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39284 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I just bought 3 prs of shoes from 3 different sellers, all size 13. 2 prs fit fine but the third was too tight.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4245 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair many years ago. They fit fine then. Found them a few weeks ago and now they are tight.

They were mostly for indoors, but today I wore them to the hardware store and they are great for driving.

They might not last long, but now I know to order a size larger for road trips.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I wore size 10 1/2 shoes when I was 40. 30 years later I wear 12 EE's.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2002 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My arches fell. Feet flattened.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I am 63 yo and all of my old shoes, still in great condition, do not properly fit me anymore. My feet actually increased in size, flattened out, bones and other "infrastructure" relaxing. Just last month for shits and giggles, I tried to fit into my two pairs of biking shoes, I haven't worn them in over 10 years. They are now impossibly small to wear.

Working in orthopedics I can agree that over time our feet do widen, as ligaments and other structures weaken. I often tell, especially older women do not expect your shoes to be the same size at 65 as they were at 25.
Also as someone mentioned, I think all the off shore manufacturing and variability in lasts has something to do with it.
It can even vary by model of shoe from the same manufacturer
I am a huge fan of hoka trail shoes, they have something of a cult following with health care workers.
I have 3 pair different styles, and all 3 are different sizes

Posts: 3383 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have gone from a size 9 in my 20's and now wear a 10 or 10.5 in wide. My left foot is a half size bigger than my right. Just Mother Nature's way of compensating for all that extra weight over there.

The "stuff spreads out as it ages" sounds pretty valid. Applies to other body parts as well.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I just gave two pair of older great shape Nike running shoes size 10.5 to the humane society thrift store.
I usually wear boots so they haven’t been used much.
They’re too small, the new brooks I just bought are a full size bigger.
I’m late 60’s so I guess I’m in the same boat as some of y’all.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It is well known that feet and ears continue to grow.

Go to Fleet Feet and have your feet scanned by a computer vision system. Use data to make decisions.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saucony running shoes also in 9 1/2.

For a few years now, I’ve tested prototypes for Saucony. Always a size 9. Invariably I’ll receive a pair that are comfortable and the next pair are tight.

After 25 years of running, 34,000 miles and 75 pairs of Sauconys that I’ve purchased, they’ve been fairly consistent in sizing. Oddly enough the laces vary in length.

P229

Posts: 3951 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
25 years ago I always bought size 10 shoes.
Now at 73 I'm up to 13 -13 1/2 wide.
Another cruel joke from Mother Nature.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Just last month for shits and giggles, I tried to fit into my two pairs of biking shoes, I haven't worn them in over 10 years. They are now impossibly small to wear.

Well shit…I haven’t tried on my insulated Danner boots for a long time. I hope they fi, they weren’t cheap.
The non insulated ones I already went to a 12 wide when I replaced them.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Or at 65 years old are my feet still growing?

More like changing.
Past age-50 usually closer to retirement age, your arches will flatten, resulting in loosing maybe a half-size in length but, increasing in width. This is normal, just a matter of recognizing your body's changes and adapting to them. My father didn't have this until he was well into his 70's, my mother has size-6 boney feet, her issue is her heel isn't pronounced enough so she's constantly having to find shoes where heel-lift ins't as bad and others.

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post