SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bio to rent an apartment?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bio to rent an apartment? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I’m renting an apartment in a condo building - will probably buy one in the same building, eventually.

I have to submit a “brief bio” to be approved by some board, before I can move in.

Anyone know what to put in something like that? I know what to put in a professional CV, and I know that I don’t know what to put in a dating profile, though I try.

Other than, “middle-aged working professional, and not mention politics,” I’m not really sure what folks are looking for in a generic neighbor.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Don't tell them you're a gun nut

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like moonlit walks on the beach, the color turquoise, I think blue is a color and an emotion.

Nope, I got nothing. Sounds like you should think carefully before you BUY into that HOA. lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Renter Resume. I had no idea. Had to Google it ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=renter+resume

Posts: 4727 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My eldest son is in the process of escaping from Kali. He's run into this as well. Friends tell him the landlords don't want any infiltration from deep blue states / areas.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Hardly anyone still looking for me.

This bio makes it easy for me since I am legally required to introduce myself to my neighbors.

Never actually convicted.

Severe night terrors but I rarely leave the apartment while sleep walking anymore.

Expert at night digging

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Renter Resume. I had no idea. Had to Google it ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=renter+resume

I had never heard of this before even though I own several properties. The site Hobbs referenced has some great examples.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It helps if you say you are a survivor of the Andrea Doria.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Or a fiance who died from envelopes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just something that tells them you're not young, don't party, don't make noise, don't have a lot of guests over, are stable, established and trustworthy.......

Condo's here in my area have to approve tenants......since they can't discriminate based on age (unless specifically 55 over community), race, religion or etc. They will look for other reasons if they don't want someone there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Avid clansman, gun enthusiast, and Hell's Angels founding member who is a real outgoing people person (as long as they aren't black, hispanic, or gay). Also, my last parole is complete, so that's not an issue either.

Should zoom right in with that bio. Big Grin Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Go with an abbreviated CV, with some life history included. (Born here, raised here, kids are grown, etc.)

ETA: Think of it this way; since the condo owners own the building, they are essentially letting you into a private club. And while they are not allowed to discriminate on any protected categories, they do have some control over who joins the party.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Tell them that you are just about done with your fascination with arson and have been able to turn it into an awesome career in pyrotechnics.

That and you collect subwoofers. Wink

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I had no idea about a renter bio either and had to research it. Found this that may be helpful :

https://www.rent.com.au/blog/renter-resume-bio

I think what is important here is being "brief" and as this website states keep it to a few sentences about your goals as a renter and how you qualify. The idea you are looking to buy here in the future I think would be helpful too.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about "gainfully employed".

50% of US renters are not.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Or a fiance who died from envelopes

^^ haha! Once I knew the leanings of the area in question, I could tweak the wording on such a document. All about how you frame it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17302 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this the norm? I haven't rented in few decades. But all I ever remember doing is a credit check. Are bio's and background checks the norm now? What assurances are we provided that the information is kept private and protected? Do they shred / delete the information once the apt is either rented or declined to you?

What's the intent of the bio? How do they fact check it?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're gainfully employed.

You have tenant insurance.

You voted Independent.

You do not own any firearms.

You do not have a motorcycle.

You do not drink or smoke.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something I could have a lot of fun with, but I might end up sleeping in my car.

We live in a "patio home" HOA community, 20 homes located around a private cul-de-sac nicely landscaped in a park-like setting. Similar to a townhouse, but all separate dwellings, the street and all the grounds are owned by the HOA, each homeowner has equal and undivided interest/right to use, all landscape maintenance, snow removal, and exterior maintenance taken care of by the HOA. One of the covenants prevents rentals, only the owners and family members may live here.

Of our 20 homeowners 18 are genuinely decent people and good neighbors. One is a borderline psychotic screaming bitch, and one is an arrogant rude prick.

One elderly owner moved to assisted living and his daughter moved in. Two large dogs capable of depositing crap rather indiscriminately, and she felt no obligation to clean it up. Things got a little tense for a few months; everyone liked the owner but no one could tolerate the daughter and her manure spreaders.

Being chairman of the HOA board at the time, I hired a guy to come in every week to clean up the dog crap, sack it neatly, and leave it by the front door. Added the cost to the unit's HOA assessments. Daughter moved out the following month, owner sold the home, we got some good new neighbors.

I can understand why a condo association would want to have some control over who moves in as a renter. The owners have investments to protect, and lousy neighbors are more than an annoyance, they are a threat to property values.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Hardly anyone still looking for me.

This bio makes it easy for me since I am legally required to introduce myself to my neighbors.

Never actually convicted.

Severe night terrors but I rarely leave the apartment while sleep walking anymore.

Expert at night digging

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned this post yet. Friggin’ hilarious! Literally laughing my ass off right now. Good stuff.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post