SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Book repair - what can I do about this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book repair - what can I do about this? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
...without having a professional do it. This is a fairly large book.

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Maybe ask your local librarian? I'm guessing contact cement. The kind you apply and touch the surfaces together then pull apart and let the glue set for 5-10 then stick them back together. But that's just a SWAG.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
They make a PVA glue for book binding...also have a book repair tape available. If it's a particularly valuable volume, might have it looked at by a professional.

Posts: 1973 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it but found this online. Looks easy enough, inexpensive, and has very good instructions.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/H...ardcover+Book/148506

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the ifixit description on a family Bible. Been good for almost ten years. I did not have a bone folder but used a plastic comb.

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PVA glue will work well. I've fixed several with the same type of separation.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Bookbinding glue (PVA).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poppi:
...a bone folder...
he he

I paid all of 22 dollars for this book. I knew it was damaged when I bought it. I can get a very good condition copy for 50 to 75 dollars and a C-note will get me a like-new copy.

It's a book of daguerreotypes and 19th Century lithographs. I'm considering getting a new copy and then disassembling this damaged copy in order to do high-res scans of all the pages, but my reverence for the printed word is impeding me. It just seems wrong to take a book apart, you know? But, it would be great to have a PDF copy of this book. You can't scan properly when the pages are bound together. You can never get a page completely flat against the scanner bed.

posted Hide Post
Use book-binding glue.

What makes it different is the PH and flexibility.

Not expensive.

In a pinch and you are not worried about long lasting as in decades Elmer's white glue works.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The provided instructions show how to do it right, but 25 steps and supplies to buy is overboard for this particular book.

Although you never know when a bone folder might come in handy. Wink

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just seems wrong to take a book apart, you know?

I'm with you but, FWIW, that's where an awful lot of lithographs and older maps come from - somebody disassembled a book. I love the maps, but I cringe a little for the ex-books they might have been a part of when I look at them.

One thing you could do, if the trouble and expense seem worth it to you, is disassemble the book and scan it and then have a professional put the book back together in a way that will last.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Regular white glue might work in this case, but I haven't had much luck with it. It's stiff when cured, and interferes with opening the book fully. Bookbinding glue has the flexibility that's really needed.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What is the title and author? There may be a PDF already.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Poppi:
...a bone folder...
he he

I paid all of 22 dollars for this book. I knew it was damaged when I bought it. I can get a very good condition copy for 50 to 75 dollars and a C-note will get me a like-new copy.

It's a book of daguerreotypes and 19th Century lithographs. I'm considering getting a new copy and then disassembling this damaged copy in order to do high-res scans of all the pages, but my reverence for the printed word is impeding me. It just seems wrong to take a book apart, you know? But, it would be great to have a PDF copy of this book. You can't scan properly when the pages are bound together. You can never get a page completely flat against the scanner bed.

Seems this is the best option all around ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
What is the title and author? There may be a PDF already.
Thank you, but there is not an electronic version of this book. Believe me, I've looked and there is none.
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
One thing you could do, if the trouble and expense seem worth it to you, is disassemble the book and scan it and then have a professional put the book back together in a way that will last.
It would cost me far more than the copy is worth. Like-new copies are available for a hundred dollars and I even found a brand new copy out there for 150.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since you don't have a lot into it and, it's not a collectable level version, combined with the fact you want a digital copy, then go ahead and disassemble it and scan.

As long as you keep the cover and pages in order you can always glue it back together, it's not like you'd be taking a pristine example and tearing it down.

JMO, oh and on the streets a bone folder is $50, but thats just what I hear about it...

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Thanks. The provided instructions show how to do it right, but 25 steps and supplies to buy is overboard for this particular book.

Although you never know when a bone folder might come in handy. Wink

Especially in todays environment. You could probably use it to open a Bud light Smile

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t add anything about repairing the book, but now I’m curious: I have many books of photographs and am wondering what this one is.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of books that I would rather not have on my bookshelves for people to judge my politics; and I don't trust that Kindle et al. will allow the sale in the future of "controversial" books-I'm talking politics here.

I have a good sheet-fed scanner (Fujitsu ScanSnap). What I got to prepare the books for scanning was this:
Guillotine paper cutter

Says it can cut 500 pages at a time, I believe it.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We used one of these for cutting paper packs:

Westcott ‎15106 TrimAir 12-Inch Guillotine Paper Cutter

https://www.amazon.com/Westcot...Z0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post