SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Only had this Expedition a month now, looks like we’ll be buying another.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only had this Expedition a month now, looks like we’ll be buying another. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
3 car seats don’t fit in the Highlander so whoever has take the kids to school duty drives the Expedition. Currently the wife has 4 of 5 days. So she has been in the Expedition a lot since we got it.
Well guess what. She likes the Expedition far more than the Highlander. Though the only debt we choose to carry is the mortgage and one car. Highlander is paid off and we financed some of the Expedition. Come this time next year should have enough saved plus the sale of the Highlander to pay cash for a 2017. I tend to buy vehicles 2 or 3 years old. I am digging the 2018s a bit but doubt we’ll be able to swing that.
May end up with the shorter model for her and save a couple grand. Since we have the EL already and she just needs to move the kids mostly.
The Highlander is a 2012 Limited fully loaded in tip top condition with 60k. I bet it won’t even get 5,000 miles this year as she’ll take the Expedition every time she can. Should have pretty good resale on the Highlander.
Just drained the savings a bit to cash flow 2 surgeries and one of the boys school tuition for next year or I’d be out looking for another right now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
At least, I put that under "a good problem to had."

I looked at your title and thought something went wrong.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case you're short of that much cash when the time comes you might want to look at crossovers like the Honda Pilot or VW Atlas. They're roomier than the highlander and come surprisingly close to being as roomy as the regular Expedition.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WELLLLLL, I guess the Expedition sure beats the minivan it replaced! I guess it's a good problem to have that you love the vehicle so much!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Just in case you're short of that much cash when the time comes you might want to look at crossovers like the Honda Pilot or VW Atlas. They're roomier than the highlander and come surprisingly close to being as roomy as the regular Expedition.

Not really. None will fit 3 car seats across. I have gone through and measure pretty much everything. Except the Atlas did not even bother looking as they are brand new and did not want nor could we afford brand new.
The Expedition is pretty much the only vehicle that will fit 3 car seats across in the middle row and has the latch system in all 3 seats.

I think the size is what she really likes.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
WELLLLLL, I guess the Expedition sure beats the minivan it replaced! I guess it's a good problem to have that you love the vehicle so much!

Pretty much anything would have beaten the Sienna.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I hear ya on the Expedition.
My son and his wife are going in to the hospital tomorrow morn at 7:30 to have their 3rd.

He has been looking at used Expeditions. They already have a year old Explorer with the 3 rows.
He will have one soon when he finds the right deal.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
SOB's are hard to beat. I kept mine till all the kids were gone plus 5 years.

Ultimate family truckster.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Yeah, I'll bite. You purchased the Sienna for the same purpose, supposedly, to have room for all the little ones. It actually, probably, worked quite well untill, your need for custom, oversize rims and HIDs and the like, changed that. Occurs to me, for all your buying ability, you aint making too good decisions on a major purchase like a rather expensive, fairly new vehicle. Even the awsome Ford, which now wont do was probably in line for some rock crawler suspension and tires, right ? I love reading your posts on the vehicles sir but, there aint no Expedition which is an equal to a Sienna van. Not for their intended use and longevity. As a former Ford owner and Toyota, they have never been equal. I can tell you as a former Ford owner and, knowing other Ford owners of such models as F series, Cargo vans, Taurus, Granada and a few others, those vehicles are broken down money pit junk. Consider a simple Camry or Carolla or All Toyotas for that matter.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I'll bite. You purchased the Sienna for the same purpose, supposedly, to have room for all the little ones. It actually, probably, worked quite well untill, your need for custom, oversize rims and HIDs and the like, changed that. Occurs to me, for all your buying ability, you aint making too good decisions on a major purchase like a rather expensive, fairly new vehicle. Even the awsome Ford, which now wont do was probably in line for some rock crawler suspension and tires, right ? I love reading your posts on the vehicles sir but, there aint no Expedition which is an equal to a Sienna van. Not for their intended use and longevity. As a former Ford owner and Toyota, they have never been equal. I can tell you as a former Ford owner and, knowing other Ford owners of such models as F series, Cargo vans, Taurus, Granada and a few others, those vehicles are broken down money pit junk. Consider a simple Camry or Carolla or All Toyotas for that matter.

DUUUuuudde....a little harsh, don't you think?

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I'm just trying to point out the facts I know. I never in my life, seen and been subjected to such knuckle skinning, money sucking vehicles as Ford. Advertise quality and give the customers a rolling head ache. Even the new tech of Triton and Eco boost have been problematic. And to think they would bolt that junk into their top of line SUV, truck. And Black92 dont hesitate to take shots at a true quality brand. Oh, " the wife hated the Sienna", from his previous posts. Enough people buy that van to prove different. Sorry if I seemed harsh but the Toyota line speaks for itself in sales numbers and content customers.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Most of the car issue threads I see on this forum is my Toyota or Honda is having this major issue, what is causing it and what needs to be done to fix it.

I've had 4 new Expeditions in a row (2000, 2003, 2005, and 2008) and a 5th one is currently on order. I liked the 2008 so much I still have it as my daily driver. They all have been extremely good vehicles with very very few issues. The only non wear items I've replaced on the 2008 expedition in 103k miles have been 1 starter, 2 $60 (1/2 hour labor) front a/c blower motors, 2 window regulators (driver and passanger), and 1 major repair 2 months ago....the cam phasor sensors which was a $2800 repair at the dealer with everything involved.....but the rest of it amounted to less than $1000 total in repairs in 10.5 years of ownership. Paint still looks very good, truck still drives as tight as new, everything still feels good, a/c still blows ice cold and has never been touched (aside from the blower motors).....and I haven't had the gas pedal get stuck or an airbag blow up in my face!!!!

The Asian vehicles have horrible paint when it comes to longevity compared to US and Euro cars.....and quite frankly they break just as often.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just trying to point out the facts I know. I never in my life, seen and been subjected to such knuckle skinning, money sucking vehicles as Ford. Advertise quality and give the customers a rolling head ache. Even the new tech of Triton and Eco boost have been problematic. And to think they would bolt that junk into their top of line SUV, truck. And Black92 dont hesitate to take shots at a true quality brand. Oh, " the wife hated the Sienna", from his previous posts. Enough people buy that van to prove different. Sorry if I seemed harsh but the Toyota line speaks for itself in sales numbers and content customers.

Dude, I may be wrong, but I believe his major gripe with the Toyotas he's owned/owns is not the quality, but room for his kids. Besides, hating the van is not about quality, but has everything to do with preference.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:

Dude, I may be wrong, but I believe his major gripe with the Toyotas he's owned/owns is not the quality, but room for his kids. Besides, hating the van is not about quality, but has everything to do with preference.

I think his biggest gripe was the way it drove.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've had 4 new Expeditions in a row (2000, 2003, 2005, and 2008) and a 5th one is currently on order. I liked the 2008 so much I still have it as my daily driver. They all have been extremely good vehicles with very very few issues. The only non wear items I've replaced on the 2008 expedition in 103k miles have been 1 starter, 2 $60 (1/2 hour labor) front a/c blower motors, 2 window regulators (driver and passanger), and 1 major repair 2 months ago....the cam phasor sensors which was a $2800 repair at the dealer with everything involved.....but the rest of it amounted to less than $1000 total in repairs in 10.5 years of ownership. Paint still looks very good, truck still drives as tight as new, everything still feels good, a/c still blows ice cold and has never been touched (aside from the blower motors).....and I haven't had the gas pedal get stuck or an airbag blow up in my face!!!!

The Asian vehicles have horrible paint when it comes to longevity compared to US and Euro cars.....and quite frankly they break just as often.

Uh. I'm glad you like your Expedition. The 2018's look great.

However, a starter motor, 2 window regulators, 2 a/c blowers, and a cam phase sensor? In 100k miles?

Sorry dude, that's not the least reliable in my book.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
His kids, his money. He's free to buy as many vehicles, searching for the perfect one, as he wants.

We have three kids with less than 4 years separating the youngest from the oldest. Using the LATCH system makes it easier to install car seats than using the regular seatbelt, but I had no trouble using regular seat belts to securely install car seats. It just took longer. It could be an issue if you are moving car seats from back and forth between vehicles. We just left ours in one vehicle.

We never had a need to seat three across. By 4 years old, each of my kids could buckle and unbuckle themselves from their car seats. At first, the oldest would sit in the third row while the two youngest would sit in the second row. Then it was the two oldest in the third row. Car seats where switched to booster seats as they grew and finally we didn't need them at all.

We also didn't have his and hers vehicles. Whoever was ferrying the kids drove the vehicle, Nissan Armada then Honda Odyssey, with the car seats and the other person drove the Volkswagon Golf.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do they still make the Excursion? Neither would fit my garage though. I do like them.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't normally get into debates about which car is better your brand or mine because they all have pros and con's but I will say I own a 2015 Sienna and I think it's a great vehicle. I transport my grandchildren in it everyday with no problem. All three are in car seats so I don't know what that problem is. I get around 30 mpg or more depending on how fast I drive and I can carry 8 people which I have done. I like it so much that I will be trading it in on a new one soon. I realize it probably doesn't have that "cool guy" look but I couldn't care less what other people think when they see me in it. It's served me well so far and I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most of the car issue threads I see on this forum is my Toyota or Honda is having this major issue, what is causing it and what needs to be done to fix it.

Roll Eyes

Here we go again......

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Do they still make the Excursion? Neither would fit my garage though. I do like them.

No, they did away with the excursion around 2003 ish. The expedition El or MAX is approximately the same size as the excursion was.