SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So the ‘Rona, The Election Fiasco, No Ammo, Etc. Etc. How About We Take a Breath And Focus On Something Good
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the ‘Rona, The Election Fiasco, No Ammo, Etc. Etc. How About We Take a Breath And Focus On Something Good Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So yes, the world is a shit show.
So yes, the election is a shit show.
So yes, Da ‘Rona is a shit show.
So yes small business is a shit show.
So the news is........well you get the point.
In short.....SHIT.......SHOW.

Ok now that that is out of the way it’s time to Ranger up, move on and focus on the good things in our lives. So post something positive about your year, your life etc.

As for me I am and have always been super blessed. Great family, great house, work from home and because I have always been a Boy Scout and prepared for the lean times I am both perfectly comfortable in my home and have no TP or other scarcity worries.

I have a great indoor air gun shooting range at my house.
I have a ton of games and media to keep me occupied.
I am happy with my house, location and people I share it with.
I live in a quiet little burg with little worry of the afore mentioned various shit shows.
I have a great forum of like minded folks to commiserate with.

Frankly life is good when the rubber meets the road.

So yea we are all dealing with the 2020 shit show in some way 24/7, but I would venture to guess a great many of us have a fair bit of good and blessings in our life too.

I hope all of you are doing as well as can be. I hope Para is doing well and decompressing. I hope you all have a few extra rounds floating around and you are staying safe and healthy

Merry Christmas to all and take a minute to post the good in your life.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful baby girl born this April!

Ive found 5 firearms, 3500 rounds of various ammo and many accessories at less than retail prices during all this.

Those were all purchased after once again becoming debt free this year after the last 35k was paid off this year!

Great feeling to have my money go to me!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Similar to OttoSig, sans baby.

Paid off right around 30k in debt leaving us only with the wife’s 2 year old Durango payment which will be nuked sometime next year. Getting ready to start our new house, scheduled to hit the ground on January 18th and likely close sometime in June if the weather cooperates.

Yeah, 2020 has been a shit show in many ways but it could have been way worse. Well, for us at least. I know a lot of people have lost a lot and I’ve seen posts about it here and also on the only other message board I visit and I feel pretty bad for everyone who’s had a rough go. Hopefully 2021 will turn around for those who have had a bad run.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This year has been a roller coaster, for sure.

Keeping my head on the proper side of things:
* God is watching over us.
* My family, friends, and GF are healthy and safe.
* My pantry is stocked.
* My dog has arthritis, but not terrible pain.
* I got a promotion this past fall, and I've got a great team.
* Business is good, keeping us all coming back each next day.

There's plenty of craziness to whinge about, but as Americans we've got it better than a LOT of others.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda holding my breath to see what happens next.
DeWine has a 10pm curfew in place, masks everywhere (which I barely wear) and I'm dreading another lock down which could ruin my business. Almost did the 1st time in March.
Something good is my sobriety. It's been tough. I do fear a lock down would push me back to where I was and that's a big part of my fear right now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m stocked up on boom sticks and ammo. Wife and I are both doing great in our careers. We have no debt so we’re slowly getting work done to the house (these old farmhouses are a project). Finally got my workshop rewired, hence all the woodworking interest and questions. The karmas and sweet deals I’ve gotten from fellow members the last few weeks are amazing. Other than dealing with the public at work, I’m fairly isolated out here in BFE and love it that way.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to remind myself that when I woke up in a warm bed, turned on a faucet that produced clean water and opened a refrigerator with ample food, I have a leg up on most humans that have ever walked the Earth and many currently living outside the Western world.

Beyond that:

My daughter will finish grad school in the Spring and is planning to get married next Fall.

I had a great year of side by side riding with my wife. We went out almost every weekend during the summer.

I bought my first PCP airgun and am enjoying the heck out of shooting it.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I still have a job and I have been able to keep all my employees employed with a paycheck.
I have been cooking a lot more since the lockdowns and restaurant closures. I was pretty damn good to start, but I’ve been doing some amazing shit in my kitchen lately.
My recteq grill should arrive next week.
We got a cool little dog.

All in all, it’s been a decent year considering what we have had to deal with.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was never laid off, nor was my son, nor my daughter. My son-in-law was just called back to work.
My son got through his bout with Covid.
The Bytes clan is now in good health.
Got plenty of ammo.
Rifle has been cleaned.
Got plenty of food.

I do hate the work from home thing I've been doing, but a keyword there is "work".

Life could be a LOT worse for us.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
My recteq grill should arrive next week.

Please do a review when you get it going and seasoned. I'm very close to ordering one.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 50% of the way towards attaining everything I need to complete my home gym !! Only took 8-months to get this far. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This little dude joined our family recently and I found a motorcycle that I have been trying to get for a very looooooooooooooong time so 2020 has had some great moments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
It's been a good era to justify putting thing off without the guilt - I'm retired and tired but I did cut down a big old sick Birch Tree in my front yard and all the limbs went to the city of Mpls (free) - all the larger branches to my wood pile and the trunks all split with my handy manual splitter for my Fire Pit. Stump grind was all I had to pay for - Waiting for my seed to sprout in the spring.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I complain about the Rona and stuff a lot. Not for my sake but for those suffering. I can’t complain. This year I...

Finished the basement with a cool bar.
Installed a pool with an awesome backyard.
Went to Aruba with friends just before the Rona hit.
Got engaged.
Got promoted.

Thanks for this thread. Made me focus on the good. There’s been a lot.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
We sold our house in July and moved to the other side of the state to escape the Seattle disaster. We are right on the WA / ID border in a county that votes red every election (just as basically the entire right side of this state does).

Currently building an amazing home out here — one that is beyond what we’d ever expect to have. It’ll be completed in Summer 2021.

2020 hasn’t been all bad.

Still gainfully employed. Kids and wife are healthy. Can’t complain.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I stopped eating out and buying snacks at work (nothing but gas stations open after 10pm around here anymore since the Rona started, and at the beginning even those were closing), and have been packing my lunches. I also started running again, and have been very consistent about it all year. The idea that having my cardio in good shape might keep me from dying when I get the Rona has been a good motivator. As a result I'm down 35lbs and feel pretty good.

I got in a few backpacking trips this year, including a couple with my brothers who live out of state, so that was pretty cool.

We have way fewer social obligations, which I've always hated anyway, but my wife always got us involved in, and most of my OT details have gone away so I'm back to working 12 hour days instead of 15-18. As a result we've had a lot more family time. We get out and walk the dog daily, ride bikes, fish, shoot, etc...it's been a lot less hectic and good for all of us.

Honestly, the only thing I really miss about "normal life" is that I can't buy primers.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I just applied for Social Security and will be retiring in about seven months.
Have a four month old granddaughter (#3).
Having my deck replaced with a larger composite construction.
Been working from home since March, so no commute.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Purchased first pick of a litter of liver colored Germans Shepherds. So cute!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a new Dodge Charger. Its a real car. With a trunk!
Bought a new BMW F850GS. Fun to putt around on in the Yoop.
Finally got decent health insurance.
Still alive.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It’s been a great year, despite all the BS.

I got my dream assignment at work. My son joined the Marines on a Reconnaissance ticket. I have paid down my divorce related unsecured debt to nearly nothing. I’ve traveled a whole lot less.

It’s been a pretty good year for me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post