SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joining the Mercedes club- what to expect.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining the Mercedes club- what to expect. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
It is awd and has the general run flat tires supposedly with great tread left. I'm waiting for the car to be trucked from Dallas. Will find out tomorrow. Never had tires like that. I always put good tires like Bridgestone on vehicles. I also take care of my vehicles.

If they're the Continental run flats that the C came with, they were gone in 12k miles. Good grip & traction when they were newer, but very loose in the wet when they were down.

Replaced with Potenza RE980AS & very happy with them. But with no spare, it's a risk.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
He spent a minimum of $3000 EVERY YEAR to keep his $5000 vehicle on the road...

I do always love it when folks suggest this as some sort of relevant math for a conclusion.

For all the fear mongers and German haters out there, how much do you supposed the ANNUAL COST EVERY YEAR!!! Eek Eek Eek would be to drive a similarly equipped but newer version of the same car? Especially if always having to live under an OEM or CPO warranty.

Hint; it is one helluva lot more than $3K a year.

I'm not suggesting that spending lots of money on constant repairs makes sense if the car is unreliable and leaving you on the side of the road. I DO think it makes perfect sense if you really like the vehicle, you obviously know its history and in this case it sounds like it was well cared for. That probably means some of the repairs weren't for things like failed water pumps but for things that keep it in a condition that is as close to new as possible, like repairing window motors, seat controls, audio issue, etc. All of those will get pricy, especially if there's no alternative to OEM parts.

In full disclosure I've got a 10 year old M3. Yes, in late 2017 I had my first meaningful out of warranty repair with a stability control system brain being replaced at a cost of over $2K. There will be more, no doubt.

Any idea how much it would cost to get into a 1-3 year old car with similar performance? The taxes alone would have been more than that, let alone the capital costs.

It's 'Murica, people should drive what they want and for some the rational decision tree is different than others. But to suggest that a comparison of expenses to value is the right metric seems inaccurate in most cases.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12450 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Used German car?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Expect this:

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
He spent a minimum of $3000 EVERY YEAR to keep his $5000 vehicle on the road...

I do always love it when folks suggest this as some sort of relevant math for a conclusion.

For all the fear mongers and German haters out there, how much do you supposed the ANNUAL COST EVERY YEAR!!! Eek Eek Eek would be to drive a similarly equipped but newer version of the same car? Especially if always having to live under an OEM or CPO warranty.

Hint; it is one helluva lot more than $3K a year.

I'm not suggesting that spending lots of money on constant repairs makes sense if the car is unreliable and leaving you on the side of the road. I DO think it makes perfect sense if you really like the vehicle, you obviously know its history and in this case it sounds like it was well cared for. That probably means some of the repairs weren't for things like failed water pumps but for things that keep it in a condition that is as close to new as possible, like repairing window motors, seat controls, audio issue, etc. All of those will get pricy, especially if there's no alternative to OEM parts.

In full disclosure I've got a 10 year old M3. Yes, in late 2017 I had my first meaningful out of warranty repair with a stability control system brain being replaced at a cost of over $2K. There will be more, no doubt.

Any idea how much it would cost to get into a 1-3 year old car with similar performance? The taxes alone would have been more than that, let alone the capital costs.

It's 'Murica, people should drive what they want and for some the rational decision tree is different than others. But to suggest that a comparison of expenses to value is the right metric seems inaccurate in most cases.

Well, he asked what to expect. IMO high occasional repair bills is it. OTH, my dad has had the same Mercedes for decades and has dumped multiplicities of it's value into it to keep it running........because he loves that car. It's only money. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've been a MB owner for going on 25 years. I started with a C-class, then moved to a CLK430 and an ML430, and now I'm on my second E-Class coupe.

Not everything MB makes is - or ought to be - the envy of the neighborhood. My CLK was built during the Mercedes-Chrysler years, and so was haunted by an MOPAR electrical system that kept causing problems. Sindelfingen finally got wise and dumped the Chrysler brand.

I've had not a problem with my MB's over the past 7 years. I keep them maintained to spec, and my dealer's service tech is the same one I've had for over 20 years.

I will say I'm not a fan of the CLA. Front-wheel drive doesn't seem to be the "Mercedes way." It's a cramped, uncomfortable (to me) ride, and the engine seems to be underpowered. I haven't driven a GL-class.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
I have a 5 yr. 12k warranty. It's only got 30k miles on it. Thanks

I hope you meant 5 years 120k miles. I have owned German luxury cars all my life. As long as you have a good extended warranty and not just a power train one you will be fine.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My two MB's have been really great cars with very few repairs needed. You don't need all the service stuff that they recommend. Pick and choose and find a good mechanic that will be straight with you about what it needs. NEVER take it to a dealership for repair if it is not a warranty repair. That should be SOP for any car make, though.

The sweet spot for MB's, imo, is 2 years old cars with 30-50k miles coming off leases. Drive it for 5-6 years and if it starts getting expensive, get rid of it. Don't expect a ton of money for it. It's not a Toyota but it was oh so much better to drive for 5 years than any Toyota would have been.

Most people who paint the scary picture haven't actually owned one or haven't owned one in a long time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I looked HARD at a CLS 550 before i bought my Lexus GS350, i really like the lines on th MB but that Lexus warranty did it

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Snobbery?

If you join the local club (The Star) and attend the dinner meetings.

I drove Diesel powered MB, so among the SL snobs, I was considered an "Outsider". The luxury snobs demanded separate tables far away from us smelly oil burner owners.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've owned an E430 since July. I've put as much into it in maintenance as I paid for the car! Eek

BUT! -- That was fully my intent (see my sig line below). I now have a fully refreshed V8 MB with under 100k miles that is fully-refreshed and ready for many years ahead. New tires, shocks, all fluids, front wheel bearings. The only thing that is actually broken is the sunroof (switch?) that makes me have to time it right on the stop, or it does the pop-up thing. Maybe 'll tackle that this summer. Not a bad 3rd car for $11k.

Could I have another $2000 repair this summer? Yes. But I suspect the cost to maintain will never outpace the depreciation and cost to maintain on a new mid/full size Honda/Toyota car over the next three years.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Don’t all Mercedes run on premium gasoline only? Over the life of ownership, that’d be a cost to consider.

Of twelve Mercedes-Benz cars we've owned over the years since 1978, only two ran on gas. All the others were diesel.

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 99 E320 for 5 years (traded on a 2004 Acura). It was a great car. Only one repair that was not normal maintenance. I traded the car because I could see signs of rust starting. The value would plunge with rust. In another climate I would have kept the MB.

quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Don’t all Mercedes run on premium gasoline only? Over the life of ownership, that’d be a cost to consider.

About two years ago I was shopping for my daily driver. The MB GLC 300 was on my short list. Nice suv but the premium fuel requirement was a big factor in not choosing the suv. $0.50+ a gal really adds up. Everyone is cheap about something and paying the extra for premium is one of mine.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
I had a 99 E320 for 5 years (traded on a 2004 Acura). It was a great car. Only one repair that was not normal maintenance. I traded the car because I could see signs of rust starting. The value would plunge with rust. In another climate I would have kept the MB.

The W210 is somewhat prone to rust in salty climates. Mine is a 1 owner, lifetime summer only car. It's rear wheel drive, so they drove something else in the winter. So no rust even in the common suspension areas. Carefully checked over. 21 years old this summer! Time flys man. Remember this commercial?

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post