SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joining the Mercedes club- what to expect.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining the Mercedes club- what to expect. Login/Join 
posted
Well I didn't plan on it, but getting a used 2015 GL 250, low miles, excellent condition. Waiting for it to come in for wife. I can't imagine any reason to not to get it. We drove one just like the one we are receiving,and talk about nice. Supposed to use premium gas. Anything else? Appreciate it.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What to expect? Humongous repair bills. They are nice no doubt. Ours was wonderful...especially over 100mph. But Jeepers if it needs anything, anything at all.....cha ching!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Snobbery?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The repair bills are silly high. My shooting buddy is an MD and she has had a few of them. Finally gave up and bought a Tahoe.

I think the $4K bill for her 100K Service may have been the last straw?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
A used German car, out of warranty?

You are a brave, and about to be much poorer, individual.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
search for a good local mechanic thats knows MB. this will cut most of the cost difference. owned several MB's. the one thing anyone learns, if you dont do it yourself, and it aint a warranty repair. dont go to the dealership. if you browse for most OEM parts, it really doesnt seem that much higher. of course for their high end amg line..well that goes for the whole sport segment of german cars.

dont know much about that model though apologies. again like many other makers, some models/years are great others are not.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you mean GLA250? Not the suburban sized GL?

I've got a 2015 C300, same engine as the GLA, but the GLA is slightly/differently tuned for FWD application. I'm at about 36k miles & trouble free in my ~6mo ownership, apart from a few minor warranty covered repairs for rattles.

Are you buying used or CPO?

My only issue with the CLA/GLA was the DCT at parking lot speeds seemed jerky & the CLA had a pretty tight back seat with its sloped roofline.

If it calls for premium, stick with it.

Where are you located?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at stepping into this arena, with an 2006 SLK55.

I have it on good authority - MB Owners Club, that this is the place for MB parts, amongst other makes.

FPC Pelican Parts

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t all Mercedes run on premium gasoline only? Over the life of ownership, that’d be a cost to consider.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

I have it on good authority - MB Owners Club, that this is the place for MB parts, amongst other makes.

FPC Pelican Parts

Should be a hoot. I got a bit of seat time in an SLK32 AMG years ago, surprisingly quick.

I don't think the M113 had the head bolt issues the later 6.2 AMGs had, seemed to be a pretty solid engine in the W210 E55 and I believe the E430 had the same M113.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Don’t all Mercedes run on premium gasoline only? Over the life of ownership, that’d be a cost to consider.

I believe all gas engined Mercedes in the US are premium required.
Locally, the split from 87 to 93 is about $0.60/gal. So maybe $5-8 more per fill up

posted Hide Post
Tennessee and I have a comprehensive full coverage.

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah - the v12 engines. Prior to late 2010, would need to be careful of the headbolts and the valve train.

The C55 of 2005-2006 are a sweet spot in the MB area.

My inspection of the SLK55, includes testing the transmission fluid for water and a coolant test.

This is a one owner, regularly maintained and serviced with books/receipts, low kms ... still caveat emptor. I do know what a pit it can be.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the hell out of it, my friend. My SIL has the same (or very similar) car, and it’s a great car. Yeah, it’s cheaper to own the ubiquitous Japanese (or American) urban truckster, but it’s a very capable vehicle. I think you’ll both enjoy it.

Now you know “what to expect.”

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Well I didn't plan on it, but getting a used 2015 GL 250, low miles, excellent condition. Waiting for it to come in for wife. I can't imagine any reason to not to get it. We drove one just like the one we are receiving,and talk about nice. Supposed to use premium gas. Anything else? Appreciate it.

Hopefully it is certified pre-owned with an extended warranty? I wouldn't buy it otherwise.

Be prepared to spend a couple thousand every year on maintenance. If you do that, it will be reliable and run forever. If you cheap out on all the maintenance or delay it to save money, it will cost you dearly in the end.

I knew a guy with a 2001 Mercedes ML that had 185000 miles on it and everyone was shocked at how nice the condition was considering the mileage. It was only worth like 4 or 5 thousand but he loved it to death.

He spent a minimum of $3000 EVERY YEAR to keep his $5000 vehicle on the road...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 yr. 12k warranty. It's only got 30k miles on it. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Well, yeah they are expensive to maintain, but you do get a nicer car than most. I bought a 2008 SL65 AMG last summer with 30k miles for about 20% of the original cost of 190k. The car looks and drives like it is new. The thing I like is that they build a very nice car compared to American and lower level Japanese cars.

Granted, if you buy them new, you take a beating on the depreciation, but I take a chance on lightly used German cars like this and get to drive some really nice cars for a fraction of their original price. If I have to make a repair, oh well, part of the game.

The worst thing would be buying a new car, taking the depreciation hit and having a major repair, 2k-3k after the warranty was done but the car was only 3-5 years old.

And you pay for the CPO warranty, whether you admit it or not.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Hydroplane.

Yes, sure, I know, it’s just the tires.

But, out of the blue, watching a Mercedes do hydroplane spins down the highway in front of me at 55-60 mph last weekend made me realize how lucky and happy I was to be in my good old 1500.

Google it. It’s a thing with Mercedes so check out what tires you put on it...even more so if yours has AWD.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is awd and has the general run flat tires supposedly with great tread left. I'm waiting for the car to be trucked from Dallas. Will find out tomorrow. Never had tires like that. I always put good tires like Bridgestone on vehicles. I also take care of my vehicles.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

FPC Pelican Parts

FCPEuro.com is also a good source. They do a great job of putting together packages. I’ve got to to replace the cam magnets on my 06 e350. Their kit was $120 and had all the parts filters gaskets you’ll need. I don’t have to do a bunch of research to figure out everything I’ll need

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post