SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think Massanutten has done priced themselves out of the dang market
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think Massanutten has done priced themselves out of the dang market Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
We went on a brief ski/snowboarding trip this past weekend and I was SHOCKED at the weekend rates. For a 4hr session, including two adult lift tickets (no rentals) and two children lift tickets along with rental skis and helmets the total came to $326. Eek

Fricking ridiculous price to ski on their crowded ice covered slopes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21133 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
And Massanutten (Mass-o-nuttin') dares to call itself a mountainous ski slope.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There are MUCH better slopes than Massanutten in the area.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15640 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately I can’t think of any nearby that also have indoor water parks. (HUGE hit with the kids)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21133 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Bryce isn't much better but it's good for the kids who are still learning.

What other options does the team here suggest?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
We spent about 90% of our time on the bunny slopes. The kiddos are picking up skiing much faster than I expected and did really well.

Definitely open to alternatives though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
We're going to Snowshoe in WV this month. A bit far to drive for you, but in addition to skiing they have snowmobiles, and tubing.

It also tends to be pretty pricey as well, though.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I think Wintergreen is over near Afton. About the same drive for you.

Posts: 13748 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
We like going to Massunutten, but we don’t ski (I skied there many years ago, but age, and 20+ surgery on my legs...well....)

But if you play the deals right, you can stay in a nice room, and there is a lot to do in that area...my kids like going to the water park

I really like Harrisonburg (got my masters at JMU..well, last century Wink )...it’s a great little town

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I worked at Wintergreen in college, and my wife's family lives near Massanutten, so I've spent a lot of time on both. These are as good as it gets in VA, and both are just OK but work well with kids in tow, but the lift lines on weekends can become obscenely crowded to the point that you were lucky to get 4-5 short runs in a single day. Snowshoe is the place to go if you can ski, but their true novice slopes are very limited. Much better for intermediate and advanced and Cupp Run is a treat when conditions are good, but when they aren't.... I got frostbite at Snowshoe, it was -29F that day, and I made 1 run.

There are deals to be had, but you gotta work to find them. For instance, they used to sell discounted lift tickets at ski shops in Richmond. Night skiing is also fairly reasonable.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've never been to Massanutten, and I can imagine it's no Vail, but the walk up price at Vail is $209 PER PERSON! Of course almost no one pays that.

Can you get tickets ahead of time at Massanutten and it's cheaper?

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous.

The only good thing about east coast skiing is the mastery of shitty conditions that you will undoubtedly gain. If you can ski the east, you can ski anywhere.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Granted you can get a season pass for $500-600 but lessons are still very pricey.

My kids were 6 & 7 this winter so I decided it was finally time to teach them how to snow board. I thought lessons would be best as I don't have the patience. I started looking at lessons, holy crap were they expensive! I was able to find a great deal though. Here in CO, Loveland ski area has a deal, buy 3 lessons @ $129 each, and they throw in a season pass for free! The down side is it was $1,200 for 3 season passes. My boys have gone 5 times each so far, and I have gone 8 times. Warm weather is just around the corner so we'll go a bunch more.

Not a cheap sport though. </drift>

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That price is not for lessons it was for us to ski on our own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Way back when, we'd go down to Big Sky for $10/day.

A season pass at Big Mountain was $125.

Nowadays you need a second mortgage to afford either.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The lessons were not too bad. It was less than $300 for my kids to get basically one on one instruction for 4 hours. But weekend rates are insane.

We tried to teach them to ski on our own....that was a bit stressful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
you think that's bad...
https://www.aspentimes.com/new...XCumG3FJ-CI.facebook

From the Aspen Times
Vail’s single-day, window lift ticket price hits $209; Aspen at $179
The $200 barrier for a walk-up ski lift ticket was broken for the first time by Vail Mountain and Beaver Creek this season, according to industry sources.

Vail and Beaver Creek are charging $209 per day for a walk-up window ticket, according to their website. The price is reduced to $199 if purchased online.

Posts: 480 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I worked at Wintergreen in college, and my wife's family lives near Massanutten, so I've spent a lot of time on both. These are as good as it gets in VA, and both are just OK but work well with kids in tow, but the lift lines on weekends can become obscenely crowded to the point that you were lucky to get 4-5 short runs in a single day. Snowshoe is the place to go if you can ski, but their true novice slopes are very limited. Much better for intermediate and advanced and Cupp Run is a treat when conditions are good, but when they aren't.... I got frostbite at Snowshoe, it was -29F that day, and I made 1 run.

There are deals to be had, but you gotta work to find them. For instance, they used to sell discounted lift tickets at ski shops in Richmond. Night skiing is also fairly reasonable.

I have never been to Snowshoe skiing, couple of years ago, while visting the area to ride the Greenbrier River Teail, I rode up to the village.

I didn't see much because the fog socked it, I was glad to get off that mountain, I did vizit Cass,WV though.

Snowshoe's elevation is probably much higher than Wintergreens.

Another place to consider is the ski area at the Homestead at Hot Springs,Va, not sure what they offer.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Snowshoe is head and shoulders above the best slopes in Virginia. It's pricey, but but you get such a better experience.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post