SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New computer on the horizon and a question fro the experts here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New computer on the horizon and a question fro the experts here Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What is your friend’s budget?

Screen size and clarity can make a difference in the user experience as we get older.

A 13” laptop might suck for some people.

The screen, amount of RAM, and SSD should figure into her choice. Don’t worry about Win10.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
If she has a lot of life experience, go with a bigger laptop for the bigger screen size. 17" it is really nice for my dad who is 75.

Windows 10 Pro. It is different than prior they just moved a few things around. For what is is doing, she will not notice. Installing a classic shell is ok if she really struggles. Watching a few how to use it videos on youtube would be the first thing to do. If it is killing her then do it.

Costco, HP, Intel I3. or I5. A touch screen is nice, SSD hard disk drive which is pretty much drops proof.

else as others have suggested a chrome book with a large screen will do all she needs.

Local Shop: With a 13-year-old PC, do not upgrade it to windows 10! Just don't do it. If they say they can walk out of that shop and never go there again.

If I were close by I would assist.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those choosing to help out . Might be looking at Costco on Tues. A.m.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54674 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your friend’s budget[/quote]
Well she started out at $ 600.00 ,tthen went down to $475.00. She has yet to offer a fixed maximum.

Posts: 54674 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine one could acquire much of an MS-Win10 computer for $475.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
I'll buck the trend and tell her to get an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard. It's both cheaper and easier to use than a regular computer with Windows 10.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Jimineer and SOTAR, I agree about the screen size. My 17" laptop is about as small as I will tolerate (I'm 82). My desktop has a 27" wide screen.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I checked out Costco immediately after posting yesterday.

All the HP computers that I would have recommended are sold out at least per their online site. Your local store/stores might have something in stock.

You may want to phone ahead.

I'm pretty young still, using a 45" tv as my monitor in addition to my 15" laptop. I'm running an HP Envy x350 with a core i7. Got it at Costco a few years back sub $600.

-S

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Now that so many are working from home, the inexpensive and refurbished market has dried up. When this virus thing is in the rear view mirror, the slightly used market may be rich with bargains.

My son was looking for a second monitor for his Mac and a refurb Mini Mac. These are all sold or, in the case of used monitors, double in price.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tues. Shopping has been cancelled , The covid is coming through Western Il and Eastern Iowa like an Arizona haboob.