SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work backpack or bag recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work backpack or bag recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
So I’m doing some part time work for another firm and find myself needing a more discreet way to carry a gun other than an Sig P365 in my front pocket. I wear nicer dress
Pants and they are thin and outline the gun perfectly.

It doesn’t have to be a full on nerd pack. It can be a little tacticool or outdoorsy since I’ll multi purpose it when this gig ends but not over the top. It’s not a non permissive environment. It’s more don’t ask, don't tell. Needs to be able to carry a MacBook Air, charging cords, a small to midsize handgun and maybe some snacks and water.

I’ve got an Eberlestock switchblade but it’s greens and has a decent amount of Molle type webbing. I may try it anyway but maybe something similar, just toned down a little. I’m aware of the 5.11 coverts but they don't fit me right.

Anyway what are you guys carrying and how do you like it?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Vertx line. Various different sizes from shoulder bags to full packs, all with CCW capability, handguns to rifles. I used a few different ones before retiring and was not disappointed.

ETA: Armor inserts available for those trips to not so desirable neighborhoods.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pace40,

Posts: 784 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Vertx backpacks are not only fantastic quality, but also have a great rear concealed handgun section. And the outsides are slick, with no overt MOLLE webbing.

They're pricey (though still more affordable than Eberlestock). But you can find excellent deals on used ones if you're patient. Check eBay, AR15.com Marketplace, etc.

I've used an older generation Vertx Gamut as my laptop bag since 2015. I think they were around $200-$250 new at the time, but I got it for $90.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love our Go Ruck packs. They are built like tanks.

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
Ok so I’m a self admitted bag-whore and have a ton of bags. I like Filson for waxed canvas if you don’t want tactical and are okay with a briefcase style bag. Non tactical backpack I like the GoRuck heritage line in waxed canvas. I have a Tumi backpack that work gave me that is pretty nice but a bit too tech for me.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
This is USA made and no too expensive. Seems like it would work well.

https://store.usgruntgear.com/index.html

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
My wife and I love our Go Ruck packs. They are built like tanks.
w

Agree GoRuck are almost indestructible. The wife and I each have one. Pricey, but definitely rugged! You’ll never have to buy another one.

Posts: 276 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
This Vertx is my favorite bag. It has a special compartment for discreet CCW:
https://vertx.com/ready-pack

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
5.11 also has some less tactical looking backpacks. The covrt line looks like a normal backpack, and has space and organization for all the accessories you listed.

I have the first generation and it has some issues, but a quick glance makes it look like they've corrected them on the newer bags.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
5.11 also has some less tactical looking backpacks. The covrt line looks like a normal backpack, and has space and organization for all the accessories you listed.

I have one of the Covrt line. I like it, mostly.

My gripes with it are that there's no padding in the bottom (sucks for the heavy "brick" laptop I'm issued), and it's not terribly rain-resistant. Be aware that there are drain holes in the bottom, too, which -- of course -- will let the damp/wet in as well as out if you carelessly set it down in the grass.

Back to the positive: I've carried this pack daily for about three, maybe four years now. It's been with me across two jobs, a dozen states, and a couple of trips out of the country, and has held up very well.

- - - - -

Clarifying the padding thing: there's a padded divider in the main compartment, for keeping your laptop in place, but it's open straight down to the bottom of the pack. OP if your MacBook is kept in a padded sleeve and then put into the Covrt pack, I figure you'd be fine.

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a pocket holster for your 365? I have a pocket holster for my Glock 43 and it fits in any pants pocket without the gun printing just looks like you're carrying your wallet or maybe cell phone in your front pocket.

Posts: 1724 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would hopefully assume you are already using a pocket holster. While most people are oblivious if you want to add a layer of concealment what I do in places I really have to stay under the radar, is put a pack of post it notes in front of the holster. All people see is a square / rectangular shape
Another way is to take an old cell phone case and slide it between the holster and front of the pants

Posts: 3384 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you need "tactical"?

https://www.amazon.com/compute...omputer+bags+for+men

Toss your laptop and other gear in there.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of partial to my Pelican U100 backpack which incorporates a hard Pelican case (for the computer) into the backpack. Ideal if you travel a good bit and need the computer protection.

I've got my eye on a Pelican S130 which will I think will be a little better for my non-business needs.

I found my U100 used on eBay for $100. Here's a link to Amazon describing the backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican...torage/dp/B008K4PGX4

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 5.11 for a couple of years and it's worked and held up well.
Mine isn't used in a harsh outdoors environment, just as a carry bag for a laptop, a few files and misc. stuff a carry daily.
It's about double the price I paid at the time but I'd still consider it again.
My one issue, no padding in the bottom below (the floor) the laptop is easily solved with a 1" strip of dense foam padding across the bottom.
This is the current model.
https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Ta...ps%2C123&sr=8-2&th=1

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Goruck here, I have several and am a big fan. Id also look at Brown buffalo packs as they have concealed carry options.

Posts: 1704 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Thule Accent for a non-tacticool, small backpack. They come in 17, 20, 23 and 26 liter versions.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the go ruck but geez, $400??
I forgot about vertyx. I have some kind of sling bag by them. I need to go dig it up. Would
Like one with a concealed area for a pistol.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I like the Tom Bihn line. I have one of the Cadet messenger bags for work and it’s great: Cadet. Also many backpack options: Backpacks

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I use an Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack for work and travel. Have been using it for about 5-6 years now and no issues.

https://tacticalgear.com/oakle...ckpack-stealth-black

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2545 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post