SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remington preps for bankruptcy (again)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington preps for bankruptcy (again) Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else pick up on this today? Looks like several news agencies are covering the story. Aside from the news article, I haven't confirmed this with anyone at the Lonoke plant yet.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/...le-to-navajo-nation/

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooooo, ammo and gun shelves are empty and gun and bullet makers can sell all they make, yet Remington is filing for bankruptcy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
They’re late to the CCW & tacticool rage. One only needs so many rifles for deer hunting, zombies are another matter.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, when you let freedom group fuck up the wet dream that was Remington it’s bound to happen.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Sold to the Navajo nation. Now that's interesting.

Not that I really care about Big Green's fate aside from wanting a V3 Tac 14.

C'est la vie.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Remington used to make some pretty darn good ammo. It was my favorite brand back in the last century, like late 1960s. They made first class ammo. Even their now shit 22s were good back then. If my dad wanted to make me happy, he'd just buy me a box of golden bullets. Not these days. A box of 50 will be lucky if you only get 2 or 3 misfires. Its just not top shelf (booze term) these days. I have a similar feeling about WW products. I kind of like CCI, but you pay top dollar for it. So I just don't plink it up.

Back in the day, like mid-1960s, I was happy for ammo that didn't go bang. The rich kids would just eject it on the ground and shoot the next round. And I was lucky, the dump operator either liked me or took mercy on my poverty. Of course I always checked in with him and tried to tell him which direction I'd be shooting. And it would be with a bolt action. Even back then he didn't like mag dumps. Guess it was because he was down range. It would have pissed me off, too. And he hated rats, go figure.

My first shotgun was a Remington 870. My dad was a Winchester man. It nearly broke his heart when his son picked an off brand. But he did admit my reason was to get the safety behind the trigger instead of out front. He agreed that was better. In recent years I even wanted a marine magnum. But after looking at one, I concluded the once fine brand was close to junk.

And they had a bunch of trouble with their 700s trigger doing bad things. I did own a 721 for a while. But I sold it because it was junk. Partly the scope installation was bad, and it was a very poor scope. If I look real close, I can still see the quarter moon between my eyebrows. Might have had to do with the non-standard stock, or the total lack of eye relief with the scope. But I'm too kind. The gun was just shitty.

So it doesn't surprise me they're going belly up. They'll use the protections of bankruptcy to escape their just obligations and cheat their creditors. It sure doesn't to their reputation any good with buyers. Particularly the end users who will feel used.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The legacy of the R51.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Remington bean counters messed up again.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they waited until AFTER all the executive bonuses were paid to file.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Not that I really care about Big Green's fate aside from wanting a V3 Tac 14.

New model, kinda like a SPAS-12???

Cool! Wink

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15897 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a choice a couple of years ago between a Mossberg 590 and a Remington 870. On a side by side, the Mossberg was clearly better made. I bought it.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Poor management, I couldn’t understand how Colt could get to that point either but it boils down to the same reason.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't dug into the details, but I can guess it's the same old story: a company stripped to the bone and saddled with unsustainable debt by private equity.

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ How many times has that happened to Remington? I'm beginning to think that someone considers that a buisness model, and therefore thinks of Remington as one of the great success stories in buisness.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly...WTF is wrong with their management?

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Sooooo, ammo and gun shelves are empty and gun and bullet makers can sell all they make, yet Remington is filing for bankruptcy.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know they have done it a couple times already,(bankruptcy I mean) but what a sad state of affairs for one of the biggest/oldest gun makers in our country.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington had Bushmaster and DPMS and bought the IP for the ACR, so they did have a basis for manufacturing what is selling today. Not that those are top tier brands, but still it's something. But now both seem to have been killed off. Guess it doesn't surprise me because I wouldn't buy either brand.

The Remington 1911's seem decent, but they were very late to the 1911 game, and with the resurgence of the 9mm, 1911's seem to be languishing. Even now I see Colt 1911's in stock at competitive prices and not selling. Almost tempted to pick up a Series 70 Stainless Gov't Competition for less than $1K at more than one LGS.

Remington cannot make a modern concealed carry or duty pistol to save their lives.

Quality on the lower priced shotguns and bolt actions is pretty bad too.

Too little, too late, declining quality which indicates a lack of investment in manufacturing (equipment, processes, people, training, etc.), underfunded R&D which can't come up with anything that actually works, etc.

The only part of Remington I might touch is AAC - really like their modular suppressors that can be configured into compact or full length depending on how much weight, size, and noise suppression you need. But now, might as well not bother as there are plenty of alternatives.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington cannot make a modern concealed carry or duty pistol to save their lives.

Quality on the lower priced shotguns and bolt actions is pretty bad too.

Yep... I've had Remington shotguns and rifles going back years and years. The newer stuff just isn't that good. If they want to survive they should concentrate on improving the quality of the core business: shotguns and rifles.
They should stay out of pistols.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24127 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If they were smart, they'd shut down all gun manufacturing and concentrate on ammunition. I'd bet that's much more profitable.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their first step in the bankruptcy process should be to fire everyone who had anything to do with the R51 and RP1.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post