SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a recommendation for DIY architectural software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a recommendation for DIY architectural software Login/Join 
posted
I would like to do design a house plus a 3,000 sq. ft shop. This would be so I could design to completion, or provide an accurate presentation to an architect. Any suggestions on software that is not excessively hard to learn? I plan to build using ICF construction.

One requirement is the the file be a common type. This is so that the design can be exported into other architectural programs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I too, am interested in this. We are planning a master bathroom remodel, including moving a wall. We’d like to model it first, just to see.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Searching online, Home Designer from Chief Architect looks easy and very capable. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It does take some learning and I am still trying to figure it out completely but I use Chief Architect's Home Designer Architectural version but they are all very capable.
It just depends on how detailed you want to get.
It is a great product but does require some learning.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We use floor planner.com to layout stores/workshops etc. It generates scaled drawings we can give to our engineer/architect, and you can pull in blue prints etc into it

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Better Homes and Gardens Chief Architect to design several rooms and found it to be quite capable especially considering the cost. The ability to preview the room was eerily accurate, and it even allowed importing surface textures not already in the program drop down menus by taking photos of, for example, granite patterns or custom paint colors.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I bought the Home Designer Architectural. There is a learning curve, but overall the program is straightforward. Numerous how to videos on the website plus on youtube.

It is amazing what the program can do, truly amazing.

-c1steve