SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here likes/dislikes Honda Sensing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here likes/dislikes Honda Sensing? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
We have a 2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with 94,300 miles. It has been completely trouble free except for replacing the starter, which is common with these. I'm getting $15,000ish trade-in offers and am looking to upgrade a couple model years to the 2017, the last year of the V6 (not really interested in going with the 2.0T) with less miles. I'm looking at a 2017 EX-L V6 with Navigation and Honda Sensing or a 2017 EX-L V6 that is certified but has 20,000 more miles. It seems that Navigation and Sensing doesn't change the KBB or NADA value at all, I don't know if we'd use it that much and am somewhat leaning towards the Certified. I keep LDW turned off on our Accord.

What say ye SIGforum brain trust? Do we like or not like Honda Sensing? Anybody have problems with the 2017+ daytime running lights also?

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've got the equivalent of Honda Sensing on my 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. I keep all of it turned off all the time.

Daytime running lights I approve of as I got used to them during my motorcycle riding years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I have a CR-V that has Honda Sensing.

Adaptive Cruise Control - Maintains a set distance between you and the car in front. It'll even slow to a stop if traffic does (but it's not emergency braking). I do like this feature and it works well. I'm not a frequent cruise control kinda gal, so I could live without it.

Collision Mitigation Braking - this is a mixed bag. The system will apply brakes if it thinks you have your head up your @ss and are likely to crash into something ahead of you. Can be very helpful. Problem is that it will apply brakes if you're passing and driving aggressively in heavy traffic. My car applied braking when I was making a left turn across traffic. I knew the move was safe, but the car disagreed. You can set the distance sensitivity. I don't really care for this feature.

The Road Departure Mitigation System - If the car thinks you're drifting out of your lane, it beeps and the steering wheel vibrates. I keep this disabled.

The Lane Keeping Assist System - Keeps you centered in your lane. I keep this disabled.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2019 Ridgeline here
The lane assist is great it'll drunk drive you between the lines for 3 bounces before it gets angry and steers you to the shoulder. I've never tested to see what happens once you actually hit the shoulder. It'll keep you in the lane around corners as well.
ACC is fantastic as long you pay attention when someone slow is infront of you otherwise it'll match the slow person.

Randomly it will freak out if someone on coming turns infront you and the auto brake will kick on that is annoying when it happens.

I'm happy with the features but I do rural Midwest driving. Aggressive bumper to bumper traffic no experience.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I hate all of those drive for me things. Ridgeline owner here. They all stay turned off.

The only things I like are blind spot monitoring and occasional use of radar cruise control on long trips.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
question I'd have is what do you get with the certified over the non certified model.

The lane assist stuff is all the rage, and it's why a bumper replacement is $3000

Can't go wrong having it in the vehicle but it seems like the real important question is do you get more from Honda/Dealer going certified, if both vehicles are in similar condition.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read the DRLs on 2016+ Accords burn out from getting too hot. I was wondering if anyone has encountered that. Honda Sensing stuff can be turned off and left off, right? You don't have to turn it off each time you start the car, right?

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price difference is $24K for a 2017 EX-L V6 with Navigation and Sensing with 24,000 miles.for $24,000 miles or a 2017 EX-L V6 Certified with 44,000 miles for $23K. The low mileage one should still have 6 months of factory power train warranty on it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Myself, prefer the lower mile model, Both vehicles being equal.. Having said that, I looked up the certified program.

https://www.hondacertified.com/

A Honda Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle means peace of mind, with incredible benefits like 7-Year/100,000-Mile* powertrain coverage, Roadside Assistance* and more.

What would it cost you to add a 7 year extended warranty, if, that's something you value... if you buy the non certified unit.

Your used care is eligible for Honda Care
https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/care

Probably ought to check it out..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm leaning towards the lower mileage one with Sensing. Partly because I've gotten the deal down to our trade plus $8,700+tax with an open counter on my part of $8,000+tax all through email. The dealership with the Certified one wants me to "stop on in" so they can look at my trade. Both dealerships are over 3 hours away... I have the car faxes for both, the low mileage one had its oil changed religiously at less than 5K miles while the other one was 8K-10K, both within ranges.

The Certified Warranty only goes long with Powertrain, it only has 12 month 12,000 miles comprehensive. Our 2008 MINI Cooper had a Certified Warranty, it seriously saved our bacon multiple times. They had to completely tear the car apart and put a new whole wiring harness in it. Honda Accords are a different animal though. Only concern is the expensive Honda Sensing tech going south.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
What say ye SIGforum brain trust? Do we like or not like Honda Sensing? Anybody have problems with the 2017+ daytime running lights also?

2017 Honda Accord Touring bought new in February of 2017, had an 08 Accord EXL previous to it. I didn't mind the Honda Sensing, and actually was pretty impressed with how well it would do without me steering or braking. However I live in MN so in the winter especially it would have a hard time telling where the lines were and start "adjusting" the wheel for you. On occasions it would sense you going out of your lane and the bright yellow bank of lights on the dash would start flashing and on occasions apply the brakes. Don't get me wrong that could save you in the right scenario. Too many false positives for my liking though. I did like the adaptive cruise control though but merging traffic will slow you down. ACC was what I used the most and the others in the right scenarios. The auto dimming headlights are nice but while following people over hills they would turn on and off in a way that the person in front of you might think you are flashing them. I used to commute to work in a rural area so certain yard lights, or reflective signs would make your headlights dim. It is also incapable of noticing certain types of LED headlights and will not dim them. I never noticed any issues with my DRL's. For me the biggest pain was the BT voice activation did not work well for me. My wife hated all the auto pilot features so she had them turned off all the time. Great car good gas mileage for a peppy V6, I still think my 08 would have taken it though. After I was put on full time WFH I traded it in on a Tundra.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 Accord Touring.

I use the adaptive cruise control, but turned off everything else I could.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whelp, I'm going with the lower mileage one with Navigation and Sensing, they accepted trade plus $8K and tax. Looks like a road trip is in order for tomorrow for them to flatten my 2015 and hook me up with the Family Truckster. If you think you hate it now, just wait until you drive it!

posted Hide Post
I wonder.
If you become involved in an accident and you have disabled some or all of the sensing features, will that be an issue in an insurance claim?

Posts: 371 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Useless nonsense that further pollutes the atrociously numb road feel of my wife's new 2021 Honda Odyssey.

I drive a 1998 MB E430, my only vehicle, as every day car. Occasionally it strays on the road. Just depends on the cassette I've got in.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Honda sensing stuff is pretty amazing. My CRV drove me across town without touching the brakes, gas petal , or steering wheel. To include stopping with traffic at red lights and then accelerating when the light tuned green. Car did everything all by itself… I might have assisted with steering infrequently but for the most part it did it all…

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have all of these driving aids on my '19 Honda Passport. I think they make driving easier and safer. This is especially true on long drives.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok boomer. Just kidding, sort of. I have all that stuff in my Subaru. The adaptive cruise control kicks ass. Long drives it really helps fight fatigue. You can set the following distance and it is very smooth. Lane departure I’m not a huge fan of. I turn it off unless I’m tired. It’s too “rough” to be much help. The braking emergency stuff might save your life. If you are a dumbass and like to drive stupid aggressive then I hope you don’t live anywhere near me and you might want to turn that feature off.

None of this replaces paying attention and driving defensively just like you were taught. It gives you an edge for when your attention slips and bad shit is about to happen. Hate the tech all you want but it’s getting better and better and it is safer to use it.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2021 Accord Sport Special Edition back in April. Figured out how to turn the Adaptive Cruise Control off. Hated that. The Crash Avoidance about gave me whiplash one day when I didn't brake enough behind a car that was turning. Felt like it about locked them up.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alingo2001:
I just bought a 2021 Accord Sport Special Edition back in April. Figured out how to turn the Adaptive Cruise Control off. Hated that. The Crash Avoidance about gave me whiplash one day when I didn't brake enough behind a car that was turning. Felt like it about locked them up.

But did you crash.....? No. Crash avoided!