SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Been Discussed Before, Firearms Database...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been Discussed Before, Firearms Database... Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

Mark123's thread got me looking for a solution to my need for a firearms, parts and ammo tracking solution.

Besides Excel, is anyone using one of the opensource asset trackers or collectables databases that seem to be available on the internet?

I could always do a series of tables, queries, lookups, etc. in Excel, but I just don't want to take the time.

Just wondering?

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
SIGforum member K0ZZZ (second character is numeric zero, not alpha "oh"), is the dude behind Shot Works Pro. Take a look at it.

I have not tried it (yet), as it runs in a Windows environment and I'm a Mac user. It might run with VINE; when I get time I'll download the demo version and see if it does run that way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail... Thanks. I will give that a look.

Any other recommendations for any of the opensource offerings out there for inventory/asset tracking?

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Not specifically for asset tracking, but the iPhone app called "Numbers" works well for the purpose.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not use MyGunDB. Guy takes your money and does not answer any communications.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a simple paper binder. I have firearms listed, price, how acquired, serial number, from who, etc..

It’s nothing fancy, but at least an idea should something come up missing, stolen, or whatever.

I do realize, electronic is all the rage today.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I used a program called Gun Tracker and filled it out with all my gun data. It was OK, but when I changed computers somehow all that data was lost. I still have the program somewhere but haven't tried to resurrect it and fill it out.

My computer currently has a file called nmCollector, but I've never installed and used it. It is apparently an application for managing collections.

I'm unfortunately very good at procrastination.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

I'm unfortunately very good at procrastination.
I was planning to procrastinate today, but maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was planning to procrastinate today, but maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Big Grin

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of the " Bound books " like the FFL's use . Gave one to my buddy . I prefer old school over electronic copy .

Posts: 4060 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
SIGforum member K0ZZZ (second character is numeric zero, not alpha "oh"), is the dude behind Shot Works Pro. Take a look at it.

I have not tried it (yet), as it runs in a Windows environment and I'm a Mac user. It might run with VINE; when I get time I'll download the demo version and see if it does run that way.

Hey thanks for the plug.

But let me know if you have any questions about Shot Works Pro, I'll be glad to answer!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Hey thanks for the plug.

But let me know if you have any questions about Shot Works Pro, I'll be glad to answer!
Any suggestion re how to use this on a Mac with M1 chip? Or better yet, any plans to release a native Mac version? Please?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
All,

Thank you.

Deciding now weather to simply use a bound notebook, Shot Works Pro, or some excel worksheets that I can print and keep in a couple of secure locations.

Downloading Shot Works Pro now for evaluation.

The "Boz"

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I briefly looked at Shot Works Pro and it's way more detail than I need. I liked Gun Tracker because it basically was just an organized way to easily maintain an inventory list without a lot of complications. Almost as simple as an Excel spreadsheet, but easier to maintain (boxes to type into, formatted lists, etc.) I don't want to catalog all my ammunition, maintenance, etc.--just the items, when purchased, disposition, and value--maybe a picture. The complexity of later products is one thing that has made me unresponsive.

I do have (somewhere) one of the S&W paper booklets that just has places to enter basic information, and it was used to originally populte my Gun Tracker entries. I've mislaid the booklet and my most recent acquisitions are not in it (maybe a half dozen guns). I need to find it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post