SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil changes..getting spendy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil changes..getting spendy Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Consider Rockauto.com for oil/air/fuel/cabin filters and oil. I just placed a order for my Duramax and prices appear very reasonable with $7 ground shipping.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just priced fuel filters for the Power Stroke. They have the best price for OEM I could find. 30 bucks cheaper than anywhere else I could find them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Consider Rockauto.com for oil/air/fuel/cabin filters and oil. I just placed a order for my Duramax and prices appear very reasonable with $7 ground shipping.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just priced fuel filters for the Power Stroke. They have the best price for OEM I could find. 30 bucks cheaper than anywhere else I could find them.

Awesome, I had the same experience with my Duramax needs. A buddy purchased a cabin filter for his truck locally and later found the same filter was $20 cheaper on Rockauto.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
9 times out of 10, rockauto has the best shipped prices. My most recent purchase was 4 KYB Monomax shocks for my F350 last week. The least expensive shipping option said I’d get them by Friday. The 2-day option said Thursday, so I chose the cheap option. They arrived on Thursday anyway. Amazon worries my a bit because of counterfeit parts, so rockauto and Walmart are my gotos.

The KYBs are replaced the Rancho RS9000XLs that where also purchased from rockauto 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. Rancho’s lifetime warranty requires contacting the seller, so I’ll see how that goes next week.

I keep a set of fuel, air, oil, and even a transmission filter on hand. I usually have enough oil for the next change, which I buy when I drop the used oil off. Because of this thread, I now have oil and filters for my next 4 changes. I’m probably going to buy a set of brake pads to have on hand as well. I’m changing the transmission filter and fluid today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10805 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Do NOT try to formulate your own engine oil! We do this every day, and the balance of components within the oil is critically important.

To qualify one engine oil for a standard, such as CK-4, the testing is MILLIONS of dollars. To meet an OEM specification is even more challenging. It can take two years for OEM suppliers and the OEM to fully evaluate the product. There are seasonal proving ground requirements and if you miss the cold winter or the hot summer, you wait until the next year.

I will see if I can find a list of qualified engine oils to the Ford specification.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlu...loilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Do NOT try to formulate your own engine oil! We do this every day, and the balance of components within the oil is critically important.

To qualify one engine oil for a standard, such as CK-4, the testing is MILLIONS of dollars. To meet an OEM specification is even more challenging. It can take two years for OEM suppliers and the OEM to fully evaluate the product. There are seasonal proving ground requirements and if you miss the cold winter or the hot summer, you wait until the next year.

I will see if I can find a list of qualified engine oils to the Ford specification.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlu...loilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

Yes, quite the list., thx. I've been watching a few more videos on motor oils in general. Different kinds of flow testing etc. it's amazing the many different kinds of additives in use now. Technology in this arena has really advanced.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Question for 4MUL8R:

What happens if you mix identical brands and grades of oil, but different weights? For example, if you mix 50/50 Rotella T6 5w40 with Rotella T6 15w40, do you end up with an oil that is essentially T6 10w40, or are the base oils completely different? Does identical brand oil of different weight have different additives which will affect the other weight in an adverse way, such as cold weather thinners in the 15w40, that when they mix with 5w40, will end up thinning that too much, creating something that is unexpected?

I hope that question makes sense.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8196 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Question for 4MUL8R:

What happens if you mix identical brands and grades of oil, but different weights? For example, if you mix 50/50 Rotella T6 5w40 with Rotella T6 15w40, do you end up with an oil that is essentially T6 10w40, or are the base oils completely different? Does identical brand oil of different weight have different additives which will affect the other weight in an adverse way, such as cold weather thinners in the 15w40, that when they mix with 5w40, will end up thinning that too much, creating something that is unexpected?

I hope that question makes sense.

Watch this vid. He kinda goes there.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IKdhgKUZhPA&feature=share

FBLM LGB!

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Normally the additive package is the same in a family of lubricants. The 15W40 and the 5W40 would likely have different base oils and pour point depressants.

For the 15W, it would not be necessary to have base oils with good low temperature flow. So, the cost of those base oils is likely less, and the formulation could be cheaper. For the 5W, the base oil, the thickener, and the pour point depressant would be optimized for the lower temperature flow requirement, while maintaining the 40 viscosity at the rated temperature. Shear stability would also be checked, and the amount of thickener and pour point depressant, as well as the chemical structure, would be carefully chosen.

Keep in mind that the 40 viscosity is a RANGE of viscosities. So, the 5W40 could be lower viscosity at operating temperature than the 15W40. The 40 is NOT a singular value.

If you mix, from the same manufacturer, I would not be concerned, particularly if the additive was the “same” as identified by the brand Rotella.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind that the 40 viscosity is a RANGE of viscosities. So, the 5W40 could be lower viscosity at operating temperature than the 15W40. The 40 is NOT a singular value.

This might explain my noticeable decrease in fuel economy. I switched from a 5w40 synthetic to 15w40 conventional. I’m down from 9-10mpg to 7-9mpg.

Posts: 10805 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I mixed them on my last oil change because I couldn’t get enough of the same weight, and this thread got me worried.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8196 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have a newer Discovery with the turbo-diesel that I have taken to the dealership the past two years for service. Oil changes are nearly $400 before whatever specials/discounts I can find.

Looking into doing it myself, I found out that the engine has a factory oil extraction port, and that the dealer doesn't even get underneath to drain from the pan. The oil required is Castrol Edge Professional C1, 6 qts @ $16 ea. and a $7 Mann oil filter.

Add $100 for a Mity-Vac for a no mess, no fuss oil change and I'm still out the door for half what the dealer would charge. I can't believe I've been paying dealer labor rates for them to pump oil out from an extraction port. I'm ashamed of myself.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Times like this make me glad that my little Civic only takes 4 quarts of 0W-20. I do get the NAPA Gold filter, though. Since I drive about 5,000 miles a month, I'm changing and rotating tires once a month or so.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about going trucking again. The desk job is getting old, so I'm thinking of firing up the old 1998 Kenworth with a 2004 era C15 CAT. Changing the oil is 44qts and about $120 in filters, and it lasts about six weeks between changes. I'm not feeling too sorry for you guys who need only 6 qts. It also uses $25,000 in diesel fuel during that six weeks, so there's that. Trucking is getting expensive.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://windyridgefarm.us/SaeOil.pdf

Above is a general non-authoritative (meaning not SAE) piece on engine oil viscosity. You'll find many such articles online.

-------

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
I'll add this here too. The never mention the newer Ford requirements for the 6.7 PS diesel motors.

https://comparemotoroils.com/m...a-t6-vs-mobil-1-tdt/

FBLM LGB!

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I'll add this here too. The never mention the newer Ford requirements for the 6.7 PS diesel motors.

https://comparemotoroils.com/m...a-t6-vs-mobil-1-tdt/

That article was written before the Ford spec existed as evidenced by the T6 in the article being listed as CJ and not CK. The Ford spec came about after CK spec oils became the standard.

Also, that article was written by a bottle reader and contains no substantive content. In other words, the author read the manufactures’ marketing materials, then wrote an article. I found this particular quote “Shell Rotella synthetic diesel oil can last up to 500,000 miles or 10 years if used properly.” interesting when the author was talking about the oil change intervals each oil offered.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The 6.7L Powerstroke was not doing well with the present and common low phosphorus engine oils. Phosphorus below 800 ppm (parts per million) was determined to be the cause. Later, a specific engine test was created to validate the performance of approved engine oils, since the phosphorus level alone can be a poor indication of the specific antiwear chemistry effectiveness.

-------