SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slang/phrases/euphemisms you didn't realize were funny until much later
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slang/phrases/euphemisms you didn't realize were funny until much later Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
^^^
Take The Kids to the Pool, Take the Browns to the Super Bowl, Code brown, bake some brownies, make a deposit at the porcelain bank, baptize a Baby Ruth, etc. are all euphemisms for having a bowel movement.

Never came across any of these. It was always the simple but direct "pitch a loaf." Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In construction, we used "FITWE" and "FARK".

Fucking In The Way Electrician and Fucking Asshole Redneck Carpenter, although, those are both acronyms, not phrases or slang.

As always, there is "Bless your heart".

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I'll be right back... I have to go shake hands with the Governor...

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
'Hey Cobbler, go get a bigger hammer'

I've got to remember that one!

As it goes, the machinists and toolmakers I've worked with are some of the coolest guys I know. A little crusty (little C) when you first meet them, but great fun once they get to know you.

The toolmaker I work with now is an absolute wealth of knowledge, and always willing to share. And my machinist pal is the same -- I've learned more from him in a year or so than from several years of occasional hands-on work.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
“Gotta deploy the swimmer” = go take a dump

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Squeeze a deuce or el deuche

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine would use "gotta go give birth to another Democrat".

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
^^^
Take The Kids to the Pool, Take the Browns to the Super Bowl, Code brown, bake some brownies, make a deposit at the porcelain bank, baptize a Baby Ruth, etc. are all euphemisms for having a bowel movement.

Never came across any of these. It was always the simple but direct "pitch a loaf." Smile
Most people "pinch a loaf" but I guess you're firing for effect Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leak the Lizard,
Drain the Dragon, and
See a man about a dog were all used for urinating.

See a man about a horse was used for defecating where I grew up. However a new one was developed about 15 years ago around here…. Drop the Obamas off at the Whitehouse”

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
tighter than dick's hatband

my MIL was trying to open a jar of pickles in church and said this, i had to have my wife go and tell her what she was actually saying

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2017 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:

my MIL was trying to open a jar of pickles in church and said this, i had to have my wife go and tell her what she was actually saying

What was she saying - I seem to need a translation, as based on a quick google I’m not seeing anything inappropriate for church.

Posts: 251 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
quote:

What was she saying - I seem to need a translation, as based on a quick google I’m not seeing anything inappropriate for church.

as it was explained to me, when i was a wee lad, it has to do with the helmet on the end of your pecker

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2017 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The turtle's head

Touching cloth

In urgent need of a cackatorium.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I will on occasion ask my wife if she's interested in servicing the account.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting read, regarding Dick's hatband: link

And perhaps a more modern take.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Excuse me if I missed turtling, prairie dogging and, my go to, pinch a loaf.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Here's an interesting read, regarding Dick's hatband: link

And perhaps a more modern take.

well, that's something to hang your hat on

― Charles M. Schulz

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, that's something to hang your hat on

I'll mess in my own thread a bit and say, this seems an entirely appropriate time for someone to say "that's what she said!" Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
You “left me swinging in the wind.” Meaning failing to come to my aid when needed. Heard this when young and first working. A group of employees wanted to voice a common complaint to the boss and elected a spokesman to speak up at a meeting. They assured the spokesman they would speak up at the meeting and support him. They didn’t leaving him the only one to speak up making it appear that he was the only one complaining, leaving the spokesman “swinging in the wind.”

One origin places the source in medieval England. When sentenced to death by hanging, one did not drop from a distance to break the neck and near instantaneous death. Instead they had a stool kicked out from under their feet or were hoisted to slowly suffocate, a process that could take a long time on a strong neck. The condemned could ask his friends to gather around and grab his legs when the stool was kicked and hoist themselves up adding their combined weight to the hanging condemned thereby quickening his death by quick rather than prolonged strangulation.

If your friends din’t show up or didn’t participate you were left “swinging in the wind” slowly being choked and experienced a long torturous death.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father used to say "I'm out of film for my Brownie".

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post