SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying to explain fire arms ownership, crime stats, and personal safety to my french imersion student.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to explain fire arms ownership, crime stats, and personal safety to my french imersion student. Login/Join 
posted
Fabien is a great young man, 16, just taking the time to talk differences in culture and life.

I am looking for help with the fbi statistics. Specifically how many legal owners versus criminals commit crimes.

Number of repeat offenders who commit crimes with fire arms,

Break down of fire arms deaths, including suicide.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Stats are a good start. I think another way to communicate the American belief in the right to keep and bear arms would be to reach him on a historical basis.

Much of the reasoning behind the 2nd Amendment is as a result of oppressive rulers in Europe who abused their subjects, or the inability of the citizens or subjects to defend their land against invading armies. The French are very much a "power to the people" kind of society. Perhaps if you show Fabien how the 2nd Amendment empowers the people to defend themselves against oppression or against an invading army, you can help him see what the numbers don't show.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Googling John Lott. He's the foremost authority on the topic. He's a pro, not an amateur blogger. Many books. Professor, researcher.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Take young Fabien to an Appleseed shoot. Lots of history and the why of the 2nd Amendment. You're not too far from a lot of history.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Texas publishes a report showing convictions for Handgun License Holders and compared to total convictions in various categories of crimes.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/...eports/convrates.htm

The newest report is through the end of 2015.

Although i did not check each report, the link above lists reports going back to 1996.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Explain "Let them eat cake" to him.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Texas publishes a report showing convictions for Handgun License Holders and compared to total convictions in various categories of crimes.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/...eports/convrates.htm

The newest report is through the end of 2015.

Although i did not check each report, the link above lists reports going back to 1996.

Bottom Line for 2015
Total Offenses = 43,924
Number involving handgun permit holder = 108
Rate of handgun permit holder offenses to total offenses: 0.2459%

So, in Texas, where every handgun permit holder sprays bullets around like Machine gun Kelley, handgun permit holders are 99.7541% less likely to commit any crime.

NOTE: The crimes considered may not have involved the handgun permit holder using a firearm. It is ALL crime. There are many categories of violent crime with ZERO commissions by handgun permit holders.

Where are you? If in NOVA or willing to come here I'd be happy to give a one-on-one basic shooting class to your exchange student.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Frenchmen are able to own weapons under strict laws but bottom line is they're not prohibited.

A lot of europeans created weapons caches after the last german strall outside their national boundaries and kept most in working conditions. A hidden gun is not a mobster exclusive. You go out of town and ask around and will be surprised of what is still available.

Some 30 years ago I visited a flea market and there I saw a german Schmeisser with a tiny piece of metal in the barrel, nothing that couldn't be fixed quite fast and easily with the proper acquaintances. Price: USD 150. To this day I regret not having the cash in hand.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
He can look up statistics anytime he wants. The French have Google too.

Do something for him that will change his life, not his knowledge bank.

Take him shooting.

[safety, etc] Put a gun in his hand--you're going to send him back with 1st hand information.

Nothing beats personal testimony for the purpose of evangelism. Don't try to convince him that his country is wrong. Just show him how we do things here. Let him come to his own conclusions on gun control policy. At least when he gets back, he will be able to say he tried something different. That is a gift unto itself.

Even better if you can get him into a competition--not that he will win, but that he'll get the full experience.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

...and have him explain that she never actually said that

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Texas police vs Texas CCW holders.

https://crimeresearch.org/2015...arry-permit-holders/

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

...and have him explain that she never actually said that

Marie Antoinette said: "Let them eat snails." A modern version of the quote would be: "Eat boogers and die." Which was actually why the people beheaded her.

Betty Crocker said: "Let them eat cake."

You are welcome.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Fabien is a great young man, 16, just taking the time to talk differences in culture and life.

I am looking for help with the fbi statistics. Specifically how many legal owners versus criminals commit crimes.

Number of repeat offenders who commit crimes with fire arms,

Break down of fire arms deaths, including suicide.

For your first question, I don't think you will find an answer to that - legal owners vs. felons that commit crimes.

For your second question, try googling "recidivism rates with firearms"

You Might find that data at the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

The Center For Disease Control (CDC) will have the data for your third question.

You might also try looking in the FBI- Uniform Crime Report.

HTH

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I think there is no better way to acquaint a young person with our fierce cultural defense of the 2nd Amendment than to watch with them the movie, The Patriot (Mel Gibson). The movie also portrays the value of our country's long standing relationship with France. Other movies like The Killing Fields, Schindler's List, and Hotel Rawanda might help bring home the point.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Have him explain what is going on in France, and if gun restrictions are helping the common, law abiding citizen.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Empirical evidence is usually more effective.

Bring him to Chicago and drive him around the west side on a Friday night. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Have him explain what is going on in France, and if gun restrictions are helping the common, law abiding citizen.

I was thinking along the same lines. Walk him through plausible thought experiments based on history as well as current socio-political trends. Guide him but let him think it through. Under what conditions does a free and armed populace make sense? When does it ever doesn't make sense?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kates D., Mauser G. 2007. "Would banning firearms reduce murder and suicide? A review of international and some domestic evidence." Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, 30(2). Available from: http://www.law.harvard.edu/stu...atesMauseronline.pdf

Short version: Higher rates of gun ownership are correlated with lower rates of violent crimes, and access to firearms has no impact on suicide rates.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to explain fire arms ownership...

Break down of fire arms deaths...

Explain that nobody has arms that are actually on fire. Smile The word you're looking for is "firearm".

Other than that snarky comment I have nothing constructive to add to the other replies. I think they're all on the right track, and I commend you for your efforts.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..and if you have an SP2022, take him to the range (if permitted due to his age) and let him fire some rounds through the sidearm of many of France's national police agencies. No doubt he has learned of the resistance during WWII in France, and that we as Americans are able to form a greater force if called upon by the civil authorities. This may be a topic for a whole discussion on it's own though.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post