SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying to explain fire arms ownership, crime stats, and personal safety to my french imersion student.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to explain fire arms ownership, crime stats, and personal safety to my french imersion student. Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
take him to the range

or since you shoot from your house, let he shoot there,

and take him to Yorktown,

if he is a fan of Lafayette, take him to see Petersburg (old town, blanfords church, good eats in old town)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentleman. We have had the philosophical discussions on why many americans are armed. The discussion was moved from that to why we as a nation have so much crime. Well I used the FBI UCR to disprove the amount of crime as compared to what he thought it was. I was simply trying to nail down the specific details about those statistics. I had seen some of them here in the past.

quote:
henryarnaud thank you,
Kates D., Mauser G. 2007. "Would banning firearms reduce murder and suicide? A review of international and some domestic evidence." Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, 30(2). Available from: http://www.law.harvard.edu/stu...atesMauseronline.pdf

Short version: Higher rates of gun ownership are correlated with lower rates of violent crimes, and access to firearms has no impact on suicide rates.

He has seen us shoot here at the house. I want a bit of time to sit him down and go through the basics of safe handling. Then progress to shooting.

What prompted this conversation is a sign he saw. "Rule 1 of owning a gun, Carry it" Which i have always thought bullshit. Rule 1 is "treat everygun as if it is loaded" Rule 2 "every gun is loaded till YOU prove otherwise."

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A) all crime stats are unreliable, cooked, crooked, or worse. believe none of them, ever.

B) all humans have an inherent right to self defense, and guns are simply tools to help.

C) those who disagree either don't know what they're talking about or have an agenda

/lesson

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Marie Antoinette said: "Let them eat snails." A modern version of the quote would be: "Eat boogers and die." Which was actually why the people beheaded her.

Also false. Most of the things you have been taught and believe about the French revolution are false:

In two days, ‘FaceBook’ and news outlets will filled with stories and celebratory photos of the Storming of the Bastille (July 14, 1789). Those celebrating the event will necessarily fall into two categories: 1) The incredibly evil, and 2) The innocently ignorant.

Because not only was the night of 7/14/1789 an unspeakable horror in and of itself, it ushered in one of the most bizarre and horrific evens in human history - The French Revolution.

When we stop to think of the thousands of oppressed people being freed from the Bastille on that night, we forget a few things:

1) There wasn't thousands of oppressed people in the Bastille. There wasn't even hundreds... in fact there wasn't even dozens. In truth – there wasn’t any oppressed peasant in the Bastille. Forgotten by history is the fact there were only seven (7) people being held in the Bastille and none of them were political prisoners or oppressed peasants. There was a member of the aristocracy who was being held on incest charges, four people convicted of forgery, and two madmen, one an Irishman who thought he was God and the other who was re-incarcerated by the very murders who released him.

2) No one can explain what sparked the French Revolution - The French peasants were neither starving or oppressed. Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake." France was as prosperous, free and peaceful as any other healthy society for its time. The peasantry was as well fed as anywhere else. The King (an ineffectual weakling) was benevolent and sought peace and justice - the Queen, Marie Antoinette, was a loving and charitable monarch who built schools and hospitals. Virtually everything the common man now thinks about the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille comes from Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables;" high art though it may be, history it is not. In truth, Hugo was more liar than novelist - more propagandist than artist.

3) The event ushered in an era of despicable human horror, and gave us human monsters such as Robespierre, Rousseau, Danton, and the inventor of the grisly noyades, Jean-Baptiste Carrier. Virtually all of the leaders of the French Revolution were slaughtered by their own mad followers using their own devices, and their own perverted “justice” system. This was the fruit of the seeds sown on the night of July 14 when the blood-lust of the mob that stormed the Bastille reached such a fevered pitch of insanity, the mob began killing its own members, dismembering the bodies and eating the corpses.

4) The Revolution introduced new terms into our everyday lexicon: the political “Left” and political “Right” (those who literally were seated to the left and right of “The Mountain,” occupied by the Montagnards. Indeed, the entire revolution relied on a relatively new concept “linguistic confusion,” later called “newspeak” by Orwell. “Linguistic confusion” lies at the heart of the motto of the German Concentration Camp Auschwitz "Arbeit macht frei" and is used to this very day by the descendants of Robespierre, Rousseau, and Danton, and still called the Political Left as seen groups such as “Antifa,” “Women’s March” “Occupy Wall Street” and “Black Lives Matter.” For these people, terms like “liberty” and “freedom” do not mean the same thing as otherwise understood – instead, these terms mean whatever the Left wants them to mean whenever the Left wants.

5) The French Revolution was never about enlightenment, or freedom, or liberty, or self-determination, or the elevation of the human mind and spirit, or indeed, any noble cause. The French Revolution was about obtaining power, subjugation of the rule of force onto everyone and killing anyone who should even have a sniff of a different opinion. The French Revolution was all about world domination through the use of force and the defeat of the single greatest obstacle to achieving mass global death – The Holy Roman Catholic Church. The French Revolution left a quarter of a million people dead – the insanity known as “The Terror” killed some 40,000; alone some 6,000 innocent men, women and children were horrifically and brutally killed by the horrific torture known as noyades.

6) In the end, the horror initiated by the Storming of the Bastille was so grotesque, and so burdensome on the minds and consciences of the French People, they tried to reject it, they reversed the imaginary calendar that had been created, they tried desperately to distance themselves from their actions, and ultimately even denied what had ever occurred. In a perversion that reaches out to this day, they tried to justify the horror and even try to convince themselves it was a good thing. But it wasn’t. It remains known as “The Terror” to this very day for a good reason – it shocks the conscience. Dressing up a rotting corpse in new cloths still leave one with a rotting corpse in new clothes, no matter how one tried to explain away the stench.

Like Auschwitz, there has never been anything like The French Revolution in the entire history of human existence. It remains a unique event without parallel, a self defining phenomenon; an inexplicable occurrence that defies all honest reason; a human embarrassment that stands as a testimony to the perverted horror of the human mind and the gut-wrenching horror of Man’s inhumanity to Man.

So, in two day’s time, if you see someone celebrating Bastille Day, ponder if that same person would celebrate the “Grand Opening of Auschwitz Day,” and if not, then why not?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post