SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    know it all people
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

know it all people Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted
How do you react to people who just have to have the last word in a conversation?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ignore them.

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Ignore them.

^^^^^^
Exactly, I just turn my back on them!

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
oh you mean my brother inlaw ? just ignore him and he goes away. I sometimes just giggle a little to piss him off.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have a guy like that at work. Always has an "expert" opinion about everything. Big into conspiracy theories,stock market, etc.
Used to bother me at first, but then I started going with it by giving him sarcastic replies and just listen to him ramble.
It's now a bit of entertainment to break up the monotony of the day.

In your situation, maybe it's best to not even start a conversation in the first place.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest with you. In real life, I walk away.

On the internet I sorta prided myself of not having anyone on an ignore list. The Covid panickers and constant naysayers made me learn that if someone wants to blindly believe the media and government, or be a statist, there's no changing their mind. It's not worth my time to even address them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I have a guy like that at work. Always has an "expert" opinion about everything. ....

Reminds me of the Dunning Kruger effect. People who don't understand, don't know enough to realize how little they really know.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Two words: Louisville Slugger.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I say my thoughts and let them have their last words.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Move along, don’t have the time

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it happens when I'm muttering to myself? Yep, just move along.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m in the minority. I keep replying. Never let them have the last word. I will be the last post in this thread.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

No you won't!
Big Grin

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Some I try to ignore and not engage.

Some that I otherwise like, I just let them say their bit and let it go.

Some that I am not so fond of but otherwise not bound normal societal politeness, all my replies will be vulgar or uninteresting non sequiturs. The know it all will tire of that routine quickly and move on.

Posts: 3152 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Depends on the topic, it can be a fine line between being a know it all and just being opinionated. Cool

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Social distancing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
How do you react to people who just have to have the last word in a conversation?

You're going to be dead a whole lot longer than you are alive. Spend your time wisely. Ignore them.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Care to hazard a guess which category the "last word" crowd falls into?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I don't really mind folks that feel like they have to have the last word, so long as they are actually debating something. If they're just beating the same drum and whipping the same dead horse or resorting to belittling someone else's position because they have no other argument, then I just shut down and give them this look.

On the internet I'll try to debate and if I get the above, strait to the ignore list. Life is too short.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post