SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's been accused of Mansplaining
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's been accused of Mansplaining Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yup. On a Facebook group. A woman posted that her tire was flat, and wondered what she should do. Another woman replied that she should drive with the flat tire to a mechanic.

I replied that that was terrible advice. You shouldn't drive on a flat tire because it may further damage the tire, the wheel, and affect safe handling. Bitch replied, "Thanks for the mansplanation."

I replied, "Mansplaining is when I presume I have more knowledge than you on a topic because I am a man and you are a woman. In this case, I presumed I have more knowledge than you because you opened your mouth and demonstrated that you are an idiot."

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
frayedends thread got me thinking of man women interactions these days.

My recent experience; I was at my married daughter's house, chatting with my SIL in the garage talking about battery chargers. My daughter was wandering around and overheard our conversation and asked what was voltage. My SIL and I both looked at each other and he said with a wink, "go for it" Knowing she knew absolutely nothing about electric principles, I tried to explain using the water hose analogy. I thought I did a good job, but got accused of mansplaining. She did smile when she said it and she followed by that was more "than I cared to know"

It's a fine line.

Who's been confronted with this recent phenomena?

Honey, I'm so sorry

Electricity is so simple Let me guide you.....

Your so cute.........

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
We have mansplaining. They have resting bitch face. I’m good with ours

I don't know what that is... but you still made me LoL. Wink

RBF is Karen's passive-aggressive cousin

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If I give the exact same explanation to a male and a female when posed with the exact same question by each, and it’s considered mansplaining to the female, what’s it called when given to the male?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12750 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If I give the exact same explanation to a male and a female when posed with the exact same question by each, and it’s considered mansplaining to the female, what’s it called when given to the male?

Splaining ?

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had "practice day" (mansplaining) at my house a few weeks ago. How to hook up the generator to the panel, how to turn off the water and gas, etc. I think we both realized how much stuff each of us does that the other doesn't know how to do and because of our ages, knowing about the other half's stuff was going to become more and more important.

She bought both of us notebooks to write down things as we did or thought about them. For example, she said she didn't know how to tell which smoke alarms are hard-wired and which are batteries. I couldn't say what flea/tick medications our dogs take and how often. How to unfreeze credit reports, who gets what china/silverware/pictures, when to get concerned about new tires and where to go, how the bills get paid, what is setup for auto-delivery, sprinkler system, front door cameras, on and on. There is a boatload of stuff for both of us that we have probably heard but previously went in one ear and out the other, stuff that is important to one but maybe not the other - until it is. Kids are going to need most of that information too when we're both gone.

None of that may meet the definition of "mansplaining" but it's what I thought of.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I was in an outdoor store speaking with the owner. And employee brought a female over to us, the female was looking for waterproof socks. We asked why. She stated that she was going hiking in Peru and her list had waterproof socks for hiking. We explained that she did not want waterproof socks, she wanted wool or a synthetic material and explained why that would be better for her feet. She cut us off and walked away. When checking out at the counter with her other items she mentioned that she did not appreciate the mansplaining.

Sheesh, we were just trying to save her from blisters or worse to her feet.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Let them rot right off lulz … peeps gotta learn

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Llluuuuuuuucy!……….joo got some splaining to dooooooo

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Haven't experienced it myself but a few weeks ago was on a local FB page for our development and a lady was having issues with her Spectrum/Charter internet which is almost daily around here and a MAN was being helpful giving her advice to un-plug all the provided equipment and reconnect it which is standard practice and almost always corrects the issues.
She proceeds to get really shitty with the info provider saying that had nothing to do with her problem and absolutely was not the answer to her problem.
The MAN then politely explained to her why and what for the reason was for doing the "reboot".
Her response to him was he was "Mansplaining" her.

Ok you dumb bitch he gave you advice that has been given to many many others in exactly the same words and they all seem to understand and give it a try which almost always fixes the issue but not YOU. YOU have to argue the point of the given advice that went completely over your empty head and then when its explained to you the need and why your response is "Mansplaining" OK then no more help to your simple ass in the future.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I’ve read the examples above and I still don’t understand exactly what mansplaining is. For any given example, what is the mansplaining issue? What aspect?

Or is it just that the people complaining about mansplaining are just inherently irrational and hypersensitive?

I don’t get it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12750 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“Everybody is a victim” TM

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Honestly, I’ve read the examples above and I still don’t understand exactly what mansplaining is. For any given example, what is the mansplaining issue? What aspect?

Or is it just that the people complaining about mansplaining are just inherently irrational and hypersensitive?

I don’t get it.

Mansplaining is the phenomena where a man assumes that a woman doesn't have knowledge about a subject because of her gender and gives unsolicited advice or exposition. Typical offenses are men trying to explain sports to women at bars, auto shops selling services to women, gamers talking about game mechanics, and comic book fans deep diving into lore.

Women, however, are hypersensitive to this now and will use every opportunity to try to call it out--even when it isn't "mansplaining." Now, whenever a man has to explain anything to a woman, a woman will automatically cry "mainsplaining".

Example of mansplaining:

Woman: "Hi, I'd like to buy a set of BFGoodrich KO2's for my 4Runner."
TireGuy: "Oh, no, you don't need those. KO2s are for great for offroading, but what you really want are some All-Seasons, like these Pirelli Cinturatos. They'll give you better mileage and better handling for on-road conditions because of their less aggressive tread."
Woman: "Hi. Put the K02's on my 4Runner. My 4Runner has more inches in lift than your dick has in length."

Not Mansplaining:
Woman: "Hi, I have a hole in the side of my tire, so I drove it 5 miles here on my lunch break. Can you fix it?"
TireGuy: "No, we can't patch sidewalls on tires; the sidewall flexes with each rotation and the plug material won't adhere. Also, you've damaged your rim by driving the car on a completely flat tire. Next time you should swap out with your spare tire or call a tow truck."
Woman: "I DoN'T NEed YOu MANspLAiniNG TO me. jUst Fix My Tires!<!!!<"
TireGuy: You clearly are an idiot. I don't need to assume you are one because of your gender.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I get it that women these days want to be seen as knowing as much as men. What I don't get is that on certain subjects the vast majority of women don't understand and won't admit it. So, us men have to just not explain things to them and they continue to be ignorant. I'm not sure that's a win for men or women. As a man, I have no problem with my wife womensplaning things she's knowledgeable. But I'm and easy going guy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A man can explain without mansplaining.

Now, if he explains something that he knows or should know that a woman already knows , that is mansplaining. Or if he is excessively condescending while doing it, then that is mansplaining.

But innocent explaining is not mansplaining.

And women do it, too. I have a younger woman relative who is a know-it-all who will explain to you just exactly how you are mistaken and then launch into an extended dissertation on the truth. She is well versed in a surprisingly wide variety of subjects for someone of tender years. She is the kind who starts out; "Actually . . . "

As Aetocles says, ever since this became a word, many women just throw it out there after any explaining is done.

And, to the OP, I have been accused, but I genuinely try not to do it. The last time was because the explainee was young and very inexperienced and about to cost my client a bunch of money. It had nothing to do with her gender.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Example of mansplaining:

Both of these gave me a chuckle

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Yes, but i told her I wasn’t manplaining, i was educating. Then i asked her if I needed to splain the difference to her.

She doesn’t speak to me anymore.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post