SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with experience with "classic" car insurance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience with "classic" car insurance? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I need to do this but keep putting it off. I could save about $600 a year.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Hagerty - I got 30" of water in my garage from Ida (rained 9" in under 2.5 hrs) and it totaled three cars. This was the one insured by Hagerty...

They settled the next day over the phone. Terrific service.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also used American Collectors Insurance through USAA for my 65 mustang. Their rates have been quite reasonable, but I've never had to file claim....probably because I always seem to be working on something with the car and it never seems to leave the garage.

Posts: 75 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: July 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainmaker5505
posted Hide Post
I have Hagerty for both my ‘58 Chevy Apache and my 1991 MR2 Turbo. Both agreed value policies, and both very reasonable. They are great to deal with, and have an email newsletter with cool articles as an added bonus. They used to have a magazine too, but i haven’t seen one in a while.

"America could use some turpentine, all the way from Hollywierd to New York City." -- Phil Robertson

Posts: 466 | Location: Oxford, PA | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Finally had some spare time and did the online quote business. Put the value of my 2003 S2000 @ $30k. Since 2012 I've put under 500 miles a year on it.
(Kelly Blue Book gives the current value @ $30,031 with 37,203 miles and excellent shape.
But NADA shows $11,375 to $12,450 which undoubtedly is what USAA would hang their hat on...not current market value).

Got quotes from Haggerty, Grundy, and just for the hell of it American Collectors (USAA).

Currently I have regular insurance for $425/yr not factoring in USAA membership and senior "kickbacks."
(liability $300k/$50k; uninsured/underinsured $300k; comprehensive & collision $1k deductible)

Haggerty quoted $534/yr for $30k value and no mileage restrictions
(liability $300k/$100k; uninsured/underinsured $300k; comprehensive & collision $500 deductible; spare parts $750)

Grundy quoted $450/yr for $30k value and no mileage restrictions
(liability $100k/$100k; uninsured/underinsured $50k; comprehensive & collision no deductible; spare parts $500)

American Collectors (USAA) quoted $676 for $30k value and 2500 annual mileage restriction
(liability $300k/$100k; uninsured/underinsured $100k/$300k; comprehensive & collision no deductible; spare parts $500)

Wanted to check Safeco but there is no online quote system, only an "agent will call you."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I use American Collectibles (through USAA) and you might be getting punished from them for the high mileage. I have a 1970 Olds 442 wit a declared value of $60k and I pay less tha $400/year. But it is a weekend cruiser and might only see 500 miles a year.

The biggest thing is to get a declared value policy so there is no argument if the car gets wrecked.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1774 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
you might be getting punished from them for the high mileage.

High mileage? A 2003 car with only 37 thousand miles on the clock?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Try getting a quote from American Modern, www.amig.com I have a 'collector vehicle' policy with them on my 64 Manx. For 15K coverage I pay $137 a year. I think all I had to do was send some pics of car to them, it has been long ago, and got the coverage. Not unlike other classic car insurance companies that wanted me to take it here or there to have a visual examination of car.

When I started with them my coverage was around $300 dollars. I think I might now have the 'you've been with us so long with no claims' discount.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1383 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I had Leland West for my track 911. It only covered me on the street and there was an annual mileage limit. I had track insurance for when on the track, but, unfortunately, I could not deduct track mileage from my Leland West limit. They wanted a lot of photos and the car had to be garaged. It was pretty affordable, never had a claim.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I use Hagerty for my current "classic", a 1995 Honda Acty Attack. I have had them in the past for a few things, always happy.

For what it's worth, I had been a USAA customer since 1996, I dumped them two years ago. They suck now.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
(liability $300k/$100k; uninsured/underinsured $300k; comprehensive & collision $500 deductible; spare parts $750)

Bald1, why did you get a quote with no mileage restrictions when you plan to put minimum miles on it?
Any idea on the price if you have annual mileage limitation of say 3,000 miles?

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

Bald1, why did you get a quote with no mileage restrictions when you plan to put minimum miles on it?

Stan,
There was no option to restrict the mileage. Same with Grundy. Their websites tout the fact that their policies have no mileage restrictions. Only USAA's American Collector's of the companies I checked had mileage restriction plan options.

quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
For what it's worth, I had been a USAA customer since 1996, I dumped them two years ago. They suck now.

Tell me about it! As said elsewhere I'm bailing from USAA (not even a shadow of its former self and me with 46 years of membership) as soon as my over year old home hail damage claim is settled. (Added after 1967Goat posted below...sorry)

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you have USAA or not, but I ran across this a few years ago. I have USAA for my home and auto, except my 67 GTO, which I have Hagerty. I wanted to add an umbrella policy with USAA. As part of the application process with USAA they asked if I had any other policies outside of USAA. I told them yes, Hagerty for my 67 (I have also since added a boat with SkiSafe). They said since I had a policy outside of USAA, they would not be able to give me a quote for an umbrella policy.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with American Collector Insurance back in 2000 and was happy with them. No claims. Switched to Hagerty (when?) because of the more generous driving options - i.e., doesn't have to be a club event or parade - just general driving.

I upped the coverage on my 59 Impala convertible to $70K. $415/year.

P229

Posts: 3847 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bald One:

Amer. Collector had initially written one of my policies(last one) for 2500 miles limit. This auto gets NOWHERE near that kind of driving. I called and talked with my agent and we went over both of my policies. We lowered the mileage allowance to a realistic number on both cars, and my premiums dropped a LOT. I believe that I have either 750 or 1000 miles and NOT the 2500 miles. I retained my 300/500,000 liability and other coverage. I believe that my USAA Umbrella police with remain in effect also. Just saying...

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a car like this that is neither a classic nor collectable in reality have you just asked your regular insurer for an agreed value policy with limited mileage.
That turned out the be the best answer on my Cobra.
And it solves the very serious issue of making sure that it meets the requirements of my liability umbrella who is the same carrier.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it solves the very serious issue of making sure that it meets the requirements of my liability umbrella who is the same carrier.

I have Hagerty. Had no trouble increasing limits to match my umbrella carrier’s requirements. Nominal increase in premium.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1996 Nissan 300ZXTT and am about to put it in a classic insurance with State Farm Classic. I have compared it with Grundy and Hagerty and they are all similar. I send them pictures of the car exterior and interior, I state I want a certain replacement value in my case I am asking $21K, they ask that the car be garage stored, have antique/classic plates, driven less than I believe 2500 miles a year. I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3072 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

Stan,
There was no option to restrict the mileage. Same with Grundy. Their websites tout the fact that their policies have no mileage restrictions.

When I got my policy with Hagerty, I was told that they did have the option of a low mileage policy. I didn't want that as I bought the car to drive it, not park it in the garage and look at it. $50K value, "daily driver", and $0 deductible, runs me roughly 500/yr.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post