SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Digital Camera for Students
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Camera for Students Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My niece and nephew are in middle school and have both joined the yearbook class. As a result, their mom, my sister, would like to outfit them with a decent student-type digital camera that they can use around school to take picture for year. I assume this means candid type shots plus sports shots.

It has been many years since I have looked at digital still cameras in any serious capacity.

I offered them long-term use of my old Canon T3i, which they will take until a replacement is secured. But, what does the Forum think would make a good student camera these days? Used is probably the way that will be taken, so I looked briefly at the used offerings from B&H and saw familiar names like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony. Also there was a Panasonic, Fuji, and Olympus.

So, what do we like these days? Mirrorless or mirrored? A Sony Aplha NEX-5N body is $220 used, but what is lens availability and pricing like?

Or perhaps a more traditional type mirror DSLR? Digital Rebel XTi plus a 14-42 is only $130, but I think that is even older than my T3i.

Thanks for any opinions!

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Does the school have any cameras they can use? Is there a teacher that helps with the yearbook how has experience and will guide them? I would wait and see what the school has and is recommended they learn on.

Outside of that, I would look at a used DSLR that was mid-grade then a new entry-level. The reason is many entry-level cameras don't have dedicated buttons to quickly change ISO, aperture, shutter speed. The mid-grade or prosumers cameras should. The ability to quickly change these things is huge in really learning photography.

Know if they just want to take pictures of classmates and tell a story and not worry about learning the camera the iPhone will take amazing pictures around a school.

Sports is an entire different ball game. Especially indoor sports.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Does the school have any cameras they can use? Is there a teacher that helps with the yearbook how has experience and will guide them? I would wait and see what the school has and is recommended they learn on.

Outside of that, I would look at a used DSLR that was mid-grade then a new entry-level. The reason is many entry-level cameras don't have dedicated buttons to quickly change ISO, aperture, shutter speed. The mid-grade or prosumers cameras should. The ability to quickly change these things is huge in really learning photography.

Know if they just want to take pictures of classmates and tell a story and not worry about learning the camera the iPhone will take amazing pictures around a school.

Sports is an entire different ball game. Especially indoor sports.

That’s a good point. One of the frustrating parts of my T3i was always the relative hassle to change settings. That is likely why I never really never made the transition from film to digital as a hobby… I enjoyed the relative simplicity of adjusting settings on my old AE-1P and T-70 on the fly.

I did caution my sister that she wasn’t going to want to drop cash necessary to buy lens’ that would really work well for indoor sports. As I recall, fast lenses are quite spendy.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If buying used, KEH and MPB usually have more options and better prices.

Today’s digital camera are just as easy to change the big three settings (ISO, Tv, Av) as film cameras. Yes, other settings can delve into menus but shouldn’t need frequent changing.

Sensor advances and improved “noise” at higher ISO should lessen the need for fast glass for indoor sports given the intended use.

If they are using a Canon now, I would stick with Canon for familiarity if nothing else. Not sure of your budget, but the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is as close to an “L” lens you can get in the EF-s mount and can be had used in the $350 range.

A little more useful range, and also a great lens (but not as fast) is the EF-S 15-85mm

I am a long time Canon user, my first Canon being a T2i, going through 7D, 6D, 5D4, R, and now R5 and R6. I’ve also dabbled in micro-four thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) and wouldn’t recommend them. Lots of folks are happy with them, I just prefer the larger sensor of APS-C and reduced noise at higher ISO settings.

Tell me your budget and I will offer a best “bang fo buck” suggestion.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Do those kids have relatively new cell phones with cameras? Not as professional by any means, but more user friendly to a student. Unless there’s a requirement for a dslr, that would be my best bang for the buck thought.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Look at many inexpensive, point-and-shoot cameras. These can teach the students the basics of photography and let them progress from there.

I don't know of any hobbies more expensive than guns and photography!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Look at many inexpensive, point-and-shoot cameras. These can teach the students the basics of photography and let them progress from there.

I don't know of any hobbies more expensive than guns and photography!
Golf?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Old coot input:

Make em use a 35mm SLR with multiple lens and additional flash... then send them in a dark room to develop and print the pictures...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I will second the used prosumer route. I don't know how I ever got along without the second wheel on my Nikons. Like, I literally can't go back to my ancient D40X (not that I want to) because I can't remember how to work the menus.

Used cuts costs pretty significantly as well, especially if the body is 2-3 generations old. Lenses hold their value better, but savings can be had if you look hard enough and don't get sticker shock too badly. eBay is a wonderful place for this, lots of passable condition lenses going for reasonable prices.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
"Make em use a 35mm SLR with multiple lens and additional flash... then send them in a dark room to develop and print the pictures..."

LOL! When my wife was getting a BS, she actually took photography as an elective. This is exactly what her college required. Since we had just bought a new house, I decided to build in a darkroom so she could do this from home. I've had a darkroom since 1968!

We spent countless hours in there developing film and processing pictures. Then, digital came along! It was the era of Photoshop and other digital, picture-editing programs. So much fun!!!

Unless one understands the basics, it is difficult to get into the image-processing field.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you have considered that keeping the camera safe and secure in a middle school environment might be difficult and more so with an obviously expensive outfit. How much can you afford to lose if it disappears?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I have a Canon Power Shot, 4MP, needs a media card, but I would be happy to donate it to their cause. Haven't used it in 10 years and it's been in the yard sale box. Took great crime scene photos when I used it. If interested my email in my profile.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1379 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I have a Canon Power Shot, 4MP, needs a media card, but I would be happy to donate it to their cause. Haven't used it in 10 years and it's been in the yard sale box. Took great crime scene photos when I used it. If interested my email in my profile.

Just when a problem comes along, so does a solution.

Isn't SIG Forum great? Smile

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That off sounds good... but 4mp is kind of low on the image scale these days....

what I would look into is one of the pocket cameras that is weather proof... good down to 50 or 100 feet. the couple year old Nikon coolpix I use for work is good down to 100ft.. my reasoning for suggesting one of these is they can be washed off in a sink. Nikon and I presume Cannon and a few others will have good lens in them too.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
Nikon makes a great point and shoot that is waterproof, shock proof and almost indestructible. I have had several earlier version from version 1 that traveled with me to Afghanistan. They have lived in my pocket for years and are great. Not the best for zoom requirements, but for day to day shooting they are great.

Nikon W300.

B&H website

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
if you are looking for a DSLR then go used.

I would recommend a Pentax K20d or a Pentax K5 for the body.

Pentax will take all of the manual as well as the autofocus lenses.

KEH.com is a great place to pick up used camera gear.

They will want a sturdy tripod as well.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post