SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Serious question: Is it possible to sprain your ankle while you are asleep?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious question: Is it possible to sprain your ankle while you are asleep? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Is it possible to sprain your ankle while you are asleep?

About 0400 I woke up with a tremendous pain in my right ankle. Now I've been through the wars medically in the last few months but this is a whole new level of pain in a part of my body that hasn't really hurt to date.

I did note that my foot was hanging over the edge of the bed at in an awkward position and I'm wondering whether I have managed to sprain my ankle while sleeping.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
When I wake up in the morning with pain like that it is gout.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have had limbs in awkward positions (arm outstretched for instance) when I fell asleep that hurt terribly when I woke up, but I attribute it to hyperextension of tendons/ligaments and the pain passes after a short time. I suppose yours could be a kind of sprain. If the pain persists, treat it the same way.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
When I wake up in the morning with pain like that it is gout.

Yep^^^

I've only had a few episodes over the years but it can be excruciatingly painful. The first time I woke up with it I thought I had somehow managed to break my foot in my sleep. I was scheduled to be a groomsman in a wedding that day and honestly thought I was going to have to back out.

Made it through but it was very uncomfortable to say the least.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving related gout?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about ankles but I'd swear I took a fast knee to the shoulder , while asleep, last tuesday.

I could almost not use it for 30 minutes after climbing out of bed

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Although it's possible to hurt yourself (any parts of your body) while sleeping, it's also more than possible that's it a gout attack.

Gout attack can vary from very mild to exquisitely painful. And, it's painful even when you're not moving around at all. I have gout myself, and used to have extremely painful attacks every other months. Even with dietary restrictions, my uric acid level was super high. I finally got tired of it and got on a low dose allopurinol, and my attacks are down to maybe once a year, if that, and they have been very mild, now. Gout attacks most commonly happen at the big toe joint, but it can affect any other joints in your body. I had it all, big toe, ankle, heel, knee, elbow, wrist. When it's at extreme, it can look just like a skin infection (cellulitis).

In contrast, a sprained ankle, in general, is not very painful when you're just laying around doing nothing. But, don't discount the possibility of really hurting yourself during sleep. I saw a lady years ago who broke her shoulder blade during sleep. And, one of our clinic nurses broke her neck during sleep and became quadriplegic. Eek

Good luck, Dave.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If you've never dealt with gout before, get yourself some Apple Cider Vinegar "with the mother".

One Tbls mixed in with a glass of water once a day until it subsides. May want to continue doing this to help stave off future flare ups.

The stuff tastes nasty the first couple of times you drink it, but after awhile you get used to it.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
Go see your doctor. Some advice from a gout victim. Stay away from beer. Abstain from all alchohol. Drink water, water, water. Do some homework on foods to stay away from. Good luck.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a relative break his leg while in bed....he was drunk, fell out and his leg got caught somehow...lol

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See your primary care, a blood clot is a remote possibility.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
We know we're getting old when we hurt ourselves sleeping. Big Grin

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Gout, I woke with a horribly sprained wrist once it was the gout. I'd had more than one mystery injury over the years. They stopped with medication.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It sounds like gout to me also. Don't ignore it and don't rely on home remedies for the long term. Go see your doctor. If you have gout it is also doing damage when you are not having a painful flareup. I also take allopurinol and my attacks stopped totally going in ten years now.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Serious question: Is it possible to sprain your ankle while you are asleep?

Are you sure your not sleep walking? Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Serious question: Is it possible to sprain your ankle while you are asleep?

Are you sure your not sleep walking? Wink
I thought of that, too. Not likely, though.

I had to take allopurinol some years ago for a while. I guess my uric acid is OK now because I'm not being told to take it any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I had a patient who fractured her wrist in her sleep so I guess anything is possible

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
We know we're getting old when we hurt ourselves sleeping. Big Grin

Used to be you'd go to bed sore and wake up feeling great. Nowadays you go to bed feeling well and wake up sore.

Getting old ain't for pussies. Frown

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a patient who fractured her wrist in her sleep so I guess anything is possible

The real story would have been embarassing.

Posts: 17230 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post