SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m going to experience laughing gas first hand
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m going to experience laughing gas first hand Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My dentist is going to extract my wisdom teeth. My tolerance of pain is, in general, normal, I think. But the pain of dental procedures is, for me, “a whole other level”. So he’s going to give me laughing gas in addition to local anesthetics.

I’ve always been curious about the strange effects of laughing gas. Now I’m going to experience those effects in a grim procedure. Not looking forward to it. Frown

‘Nitrous oxide, sometimes called “laughing gas,” is one option your dentist may offer to help make you more comfortable during certain procedures…’ I sure hope so.

https://www.mouthhealthy.org/e...pics/n/nitrous-oxide

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I get it every time it is offered for a reasonable price. It’s great. You may giggle a bit, but most likely won’t. You’ll just be relaxed. Two minutes of pure oxygen and you’re clean and clear of the nitrous.

Don’t fear. Sit back and enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I was young, I went to a dentist who gave nitrous. He'd give you a blast and then ask you "Are you on the magic carpet?" Smile

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I had wisdom teeth extracted with just a local. No big deal really. Best medical buzz was on ketamine administered for a cardio version. Pretty funny video of me waking up.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I had all 4 of mine extracted last year at the age of 37.

I wanted to be out under as I don’t like the dentist on the best of days but he declined and instead did local plus the laughing gas.

I remember not being real impressed. It didn’t mean to have a huge effect on me, but perhaps a slight feeling of heaviness.

I did get through the procedure ok and drove myself home, so I guess it did the job.

Posts: 6371 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
It's an absolute necessity for me (severe dental phobia stemming from a deranged pediatric dentist - let's just say that there wasn't anything explicitly stated in the sentence "raise your hand if you're in pain" about stopping to inject more local). In more than one situation it has been a godsend and the difference between agony and tolerable.

It never got me goofy, though I knew it was working. The most reaction I got was a slight "vibration" detected across my whole body then sorta melted into the chair. I could grit my teeth and be acutely aware of it for a few seconds before the sensation got tossed out and ignored by my brain. I definitely can see how it could make you feel that way at higher doses though.

For wisdom teeth I let them KO me with IV sedation. Nobody is coming at my gums with a scalpel while I'm awake and aware. But then mine were severely impacted (and in one case sitting in a cyst).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
So I guess it’s safe to say you never went to a Dead concert and bought a balloon. Or did Whippets.
My Dentist used to offer it pretty cheap, then the price went up to about $60.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I always go for the gas of it's a procedure so minor I can get by without the local. E.g.: Minor fillings.

It's a fun buzz that goes away very shortly after they switch me to oxygen Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My nitros experience was also dental. It was a very strange feeling to know it hurt like hell, but I didn’t care!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
in 1980 when mine were done with gas, I subliminally heard Pink Floyd "Time" In reality, it was an oscillating fan.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Adam & Eve escaped teething.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I went to a big Halloween party in the 80s at a dentist's house. He had a live jam band and a full size tank of medical grade nitrous and large balloons. Interesting party.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I went to a big Halloween party in the 80s at a dentist's house. He had a live jam band and a full size tank of medical grade nitrous and large balloons. Interesting party.

That's it? It was interesting??!!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I floated above a recliner...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
its 'fried rice', you plick

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I went through a lot of dental procedures years ago and had Nitrous because I was phobic about shots and the rest.
I wouldn't consider it a pain killer at all like novocaine, it just numbs your brain so you don't care so much and gives you a lot of other things to think about.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
2017, dentist offered it for $30. I accepted. Wasted $30. Zero effect.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I just had mine done 12 days ago. The laughing gas just relaxes you. Apparently, I cracked a few jokes in short succession. I did anesthesia since they were extracting all 4. When they put that spacing block in your mouth, you'll be glad you had the gas. I don't remember much after that.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine is a Dentist, and one day I was getting a filling and he asked if I'd ever had it. I said no, so he gave me some.

What he didn't know was that I'm very susceptible to drugs and as a result, I get very high off almost any drug and stay that way for a while.

Took me 2 hours to get home that day and it usually took 20 minutes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Nitrous never had an effect on me. He would let me breath it
for a minute or two, I say I don't feel a thing. Then he would put
the needle in my arm, and about ten seconds later Goodnight!!

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post