SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canadian Huey drops 80-lb lift raft onto Florida home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Huey drops 80-lb lift raft onto Florida home Login/Join 
posted
The link has several photos.

http://www.miamiherald.com/new...rticle202719244.html

She thought it was a bomb. Turns out the Canadian Air Force just needs more practice.

BY CARLI TEPROFF AND HOWARD COHEN

cteproff@miamiherald.com
hcohen@miamiherald.com
Updated 8 minutes ago

Luce Rameau was lying in bed and talking to a friend on her cellphone when she heard what she thought was a bomb.

Then she was covered in wood and dust from her roof.

“I kept screaming, ‘What happened? What happened?”’ she said. “I was shocked.”

Turns out what sounded like a bomb was actually an 80-pound inflatable raft crashing through the roof of her home in the 14000 block of Northeast 10th Court.

And where did the raft come from?

Police say the yellow raft fell from a Royal Canadian Air Force search-and-rescue helicopter on its way back to Miami-Opa locka Executive Airport.

The Canadian Air Force had been conducting an off-shore training exercise and somehow the raft “separated from the helicopter,” a police spokesman said.

David Lavallee, a Royal Canadian Air Force spokesman, said Wednesday night that crews were in South Florida for a few weeks “taking advantage of the warm weather” to train for water search-and-rescue missions.

How the raft ended up detaching from the CH-146 Griffon chopper is under investigation, he said.

He added that the Air Force intends to help “the resident with accommodations and other support.”

According to Miami-Dade Fire, crews responded to a call that something fell through the roof. When they arrived, they found the uninflated six-seat raft, 2 feet by 2 feet in size, in the bedroom of the home.

“Fortunately, the occupant narrowly escaped disaster and sustained only minor injuries,” Capt. William McAllister IV said.

Rameau said she wasn’t physically injured, but she was still “shaken up.”

“I am very lucky,” she said. “It could have hit me.”

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Damn snow Mexicans they get a wall too !

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Damn snow Mexicans they get a wall too !

(Psst... Bro... They've got helicopters... They'll just fly over it.)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sorry Canucks, it would be time to SHOW ME THE MONEY after that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Sorry Canucks, it would be time to SHOW ME THE MONEY after that.

And it better be US dollars.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Those Canadian service guys are never going to stop hearing about this one.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when Canadians go too far South.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it had been a CH-47, the headline practically writes itself...

"Canucks in Chinooks..."

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Canucks in Chinook Chuck Craft into Cupola of Condo

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Candians are coming!! The Canadians are coming!!

Their munitions budget could use a boost.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Well, could have been worse. Could have been a snowmobile! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That's going to cost them a whole bunch of loonies.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How the raft ended up detaching from the CH-146 Griffon chopper is under investigation, he said.

See The Gravitational Constant.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Now that’s a “dropped object” for sure, eh!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2707 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Take off eh! Ya buncha hosers!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Must be Spring Break time, eh?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I see the hole; I don't see the life raft. Could this be a government conspiracy and cover-up? Was it really the Canadians? What did they really drop? Roll Eyes Smile

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Look at all those clothes that are just "gonna hafta" be replaced.....

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Training exercise fail.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to regularly shoot with a bunch of guys one Saturday morning a month that were all mechanics with the F16 squadron in Tulsa. A few years back one of their planes accidentally dropped a blue practice munition and it ended up in someone's bathroom in Tulsa. I just happened to mention that during casual conversation one morning at breakfast and it went over like a red haired bastard at a family reunion. It seems like it had fallen from one the guy's planes in the group. There were a lot of red faces over that! Eek

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post