Find
Notify
Tools

New roof time Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted
With the hail storm a few weeks ago my roof was totaled. It’s an eleven year old roof so insurance only cover 67% plus it’s a $4500 deductible. What would a reasonable price be to do a complete reroof job on an approximate 1,700 sq ft house with maybe a 5/12 pitch gable roof?

My father in law thinks I’m going to pay too much and thinks he can replace his at 2,000+ sq ft for cheaper.

My estimate is $13,000 for a class 3 shingle.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am scheduled to have my roof replaced next month and can share what I have for a quote.

I upgraded to the Certainteed Northgate class 4 impact resistant shingle for the very reason you are replacing yours. This is a preemptive replacement after going a little over 24 years on a replacement roof after a huge hail storm. The very same crew from 2000 will be doing this job.

Total cost: $14,700

My house is a typical two story in central Iowa and is a little over 2500 sq ft.

We have had some nasty derecho storms the past few years and the extra weight of the class 4 shingles should help some.

That's all I got....Good luck!

Posts: 71 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did my roof twice over the years and dont know what a class 3 shingle is. I have used architectural shingles. BTW be there if you can. When my office was done several sheets of decking were bad and I made them replace it. {I spoke enough Spanish}. Make sure they tear off all the felt.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Did my roof twice over the years and dont know what a class 3 shingle is. I have used architectural shingles. BTW be there if you can. When my office was done several sheets of decking were bad and I made them replace it. {I spoke enough Spanish}. Make sure they tear off all the felt.

It’s an architectural shingles. Class 3 is supposed to withstand up to I believe 1.5” hail and class 4 is the highest at 2” inch hail.

And I hear you on being there when they do it. The last company that did I was there but stayed inside most the time. Come to find out when the roofing company looked at it this time he said it had multiple layers of felt which I figured was the case years later.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spending a bit extra for class 4 shingles yielded a home insurance discount, so you may want to see if that's available with your insurer.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1450 square foot home, two car attached garage, architectural shingles, one story simple roof, good local company. Bid is $7650 labor and materials to be done in the next month. Two stories and elaborate roof designs have to increase the prices.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I just got a bid to reroof. The job involved removing metal roofing, installing OC Duration architectural shingles on a 2-story house, porches, and a 26 x 40' garage. The level square footage is 2,860 with the price quoted $14,400. Metal was the same cost and that's what I ended up choosing.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Had our roof replaced last fall. It's a 2400 sq. ft home with a few gables and is fairly steep. Architectural grade shingles. It came to just under 20 grand from a very reliable, local roofer. We also had our two metal out buildings reroofed as well. Those two came in at just around the same price. $40,000 for everything.

I am so glad I paid extra for full replacement value policy. Our out of pocket came to $3800.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
We moved to a new house in 2022. March 2023, a hailstorm destroyed every roof in the neighborhood. 2700 sq feet with steep grade. It was $27,000 with Owen Corning shingle. Full coverage with a $1k ded. It was replaced in 2 months. Less if my hoa would have been faster to approve going from grey to black. Roofing company even upgraded me to 6” gutter. Storm came a month later. Pissed thinking I had to go through it again, but the new roof withstood the hail better. The original was was the cheaper roof…not 3 tab.

Some of my neighbors found out what their insurers were really liked. One fought for months with the adjuster and another found out his policy had a metal exclusion…so $3-4k extras out of pocket for gutters and downspout.

You should talk to your company about the new roof. They should reset the roof year on the home. There may be discounts or full coverage available with newer roof. I know our company will do that for up to 15 year roof.

I did learn from claims that most roofing company should and usually upgrade 3 tab roof to architectural shingle at no cost. Apparently, for the little cost differences, the ease of installation, and the goodwill gesture, they usually do that.

Sadly, I also learned that 3 or 4 years ago, my roof would have only cost about $15-16k.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post