SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Phoenix Arizona forum members. Another question pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Phoenix Arizona forum members. Another question pg 2 Login/Join 
posted
I only lived there for 8 years.
In all that time they closed down Sky harbour airport four times.
Twice it was because of the heat.

Have they had to shut it down this year because of the heat?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not yet. They may have restricted flights of smaller planes, as they are the ones that have more problems taking off in high temperatures.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
https://www.tripsavvy.com/plan...rbor-airport-2682513

That says they probably wouldn't shut down unless we hit temps up around 127F. We're 24 days over 110 and we hit 119 the other day. This article says Sky Harbor logged their highest overnight low at 97f. My timing is usually pretty interesting, so I'm gonna guess that with us closing on a house Thursday and the move starting this coming Friday, it isn't over yet and we'll log some new record highs just because.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wow. 97 at night.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/plan...rbor-airport-2682513

That says they probably wouldn't shut down unless we hit temps up around 127F. We're 24 days over 110 and we hit 119 the other day. This article says Sky Harbor logged their highest overnight low at 97f. My timing is usually pretty interesting, so I'm gonna guess that with us closing on a house Thursday and the move starting this coming Friday, it isn't over yet and we'll log some new record highs just because.

Don't know if you're using a moving company or how much stuff you have, or how much time. Drop me a line if you need some help with the move, don't stress over it.

Posts: 1295 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
A couple nights ago it was still 100° out when I went to bed, at 9:30 pm. I’m a hundred miles north, and 2000 feet higher in elevation than Phoenix. We are about ten degrees cooler than Phoenix. That said, it’s fucking hot this year.

I usually open the windows and let fresh air inside, every morning. My wife keeps the thermostat set between 78°-80°. There were a few mornings last week that it was considerably warmer outside at 05:30 than it was inside. I don’t mind the heat, but it sucks to wake up and have it 80° at 0500.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been gone for 15 years,
I moved back to the Iowa Illinois border.

I still look for shady places to park Big Grin
When it's above 70 degrees or warmer.

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, it hasn't been over 120 degrees, which is why the airport was shutdownjune 26, 1990, when it got to 122.

airlines only had performance charts to 120 deg, boeing had charts for higher temps but airlines didn't want to buy them!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You guys have my respect. There is no way I could live in AZ.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For year-round, Northern Arizona like Flagstaff and Prescott is fine, going South like Phoenix or, Tucson, yikes! The Valley of the Sun is a frying pan right now

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
no, it hasn't been over 120 degrees, which is why the airport was shutdownjune 26, 1990, when it got to 122.

airlines only had performance charts to 120 deg, boeing had charts for higher temps but airlines didn't want to buy them!!

I remember that year. I was working for America West Airlines at BWI. A few of the flights leaving Phoenix were late arriving because they couldn't take off with enough fuel to make the trip and had to stop along the way to re-fuel.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

It's a 'dry' heat... Wink It's totally different... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would take the Arizona 101 degree summer day with 16 % humidity ,anytime.
Over
These Midwest 84- 86 degrees days with 84%-90% humidity days.

But the corn and beans love it the moist air

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
The AZ heat is a bit worse than we experienced living in Southern California, but IMHO it's well worth the increase in freedom. Perhaps we should set up a SF lunch or dinner (ala those Dave Truong was so nice to host in OC)? I'm in the very North end of Scottsdale but would sure enjoy getting together with some members within an hour's drive as long as it was a nice AIR CONDITIONED venue!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Any place you have to boot your dog’s paws so they don’t burn in order to take them for a walk is out of my boundaries for residing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
The AZ heat is a bit worse than we experienced living in Southern California, but IMHO it's well worth the increase in freedom. Perhaps we should set up a SF lunch or dinner (ala those Dave Truong was so nice to host in OC)? I'm in the very North end of Scottsdale but would sure enjoy getting together with some members within an hour's drive as long as it was a nice AIR CONDITIONED venue!

When I lived in the 'over 55 "
Senior living park ,
We had a great assembly hall that we used on a regular basis for all kinds of events.

Wedding showers, holiday parties, anniversaries .

Perhaps there is a member that resides in a similar park.

Ours had a dandy kitchen attached,
We had many potlucks there

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well it's not that hot all year, or in the whole state, remember driving through Flagstaff one year moving to Cali on 40, had the sunroof open and cruising west all of a sudden, Snow, in July, it got cold as heck.

Fall and Winter in AZ is excellent, great weather, lots of sunshine, been out there a few times to ride motorcycles in October, one year in Tucson it got pretty cold, some crazy El something front out of California, high winds, cold air.

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

It's a 'dry' heat... Wink It's totally different... Razz

Definitely! Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well it's not that hot all year, or in the

Fall and Winter in AZ is excellent, great weather, lots of sunshine, been out there a few times to ride motorcycles in October, one year in Tucson it got pretty cold, some crazy El something front out of California, high winds, cold air.

I thought that for four or five years,
Then I came back from Flag one day and saw the thick brown layer of Smog that covered 75% of the valley.

I can't imagine that it's gotten better in the last 15 years

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I thought that for four or five years,
Then I came back for Flag one day and saw the thick brown layer of Smog that covered 75% of the valley.

I can't imagine that it's gotten better in the last 15 years

The fog that covered the roads out of Scottsdale on the way to the hotel on Indian land was Pot Smoke, holy crap that shit stinks like a skunks ass after a spray party! Everyone out there must fire up a joint on the way home, nasty as heck. Ride a motorcycle and you get all the pot smoke you want for free...

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post