SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Phoenix Arizona forum members. Another question pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Phoenix Arizona forum members. Another question pg 2 Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm with Pullicords, I'll take the heat if that's the price I pay to have more freedom. I knew I was home this past winter when the guy at the bench next to me lit up with a full auto AR and I was the only one on the range who even looked. There's no groups of purple-haired assholes blocking freeways, I don't look over at a redlight and get a good look at a fresh turd falling out of some hobo's ass, there's no goddamn needles all over the sidewalks. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. I'll happily put up with a month straight of 117 degree weather to not have those things. I'm also going no further, and they can fight me for my patch of desert if they want it.

I haven't seen any smog of note. When the sky is brown, it's because Imhotep is rolling through. I'd also rather 110+ of ~20% humidity than 90+ and 90+ ala my three years in central Florida because there's just nothing like walking around in public looking and feeling like you just took a hot shower fully clothed. Razz

I'd be up for a local meet if you guys would have me. Smile

Rizzle, I haven't fully worked out the logistics of moving yet, but I definitely appreciate the offer and very well may take you up on that. Thank you. Smile

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You guys have my respect. There is no way I could live in AZ.
I was born there (at Bartlett Dam), but only lived there my first year. When the dam was finished my dad moved us to other construction projects. My parents and sister lived in Arizona for many years later on. I tried to visit in the winter.

It's not a dry heat in Phoenix any more. There is so much irrigation there that the humidity has increased substantially. "Swamp coolers" often don't work well any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
no, it hasn't been over 120 degrees, which is why the airport was shutdownjune 26, 1990, when it got to 122.
airlines only had performance charts to 120 deg, boeing had charts for higher temps but airlines didn't want to buy them!!

I remember that year. I was working for America West Airlines at BWI. A few of the flights leaving Phoenix were late arriving because they couldn't take off with enough fuel to make the trip and had to stop along the way to re-fuel.

I was working a 2 alarm fire that morning and a 3 alarm fire that afternoon. 122° is suck ass heat to put gear on!
The day I moved out of Phx to 4500’ is one of my favorite days.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was in Prescott Valley for 8 years (5000ft)
Had no issues with the heat and 8% humidity.

Been in SC for 7 months and this 90 and 94% humidity is kicking my ass.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best boss I ever had grew up in Phoenix,
AZ.

He was 22 in 1940.

He watched as Asians were hauled off to internment camps, most lost houses and their business.

As a boy the pavement going north to Flag ended at Camelback it was some gravel and a lot of dirt and dust.

He sold pigeons as a pre-teen to restaurants downtown,
They served them as squab.

His dad started a radio and tv shop, and in"57"
They branched out in to household appliances.

In 1960 they started installing aftermarket auto air conditioners.

Cornforth's Auto air and appliances.

God I miss him

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
When it was 122 I was outside banging nails as a framer. We drank a lot of water and kept on working.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

It's not a dry heat in Phoenix any more. There is so much irrigation there that the humidity has increased substantially. "Swamp coolers" often don't work well any more.

flashguy

Way back when, I worked for a big company that made radios, comm systems, and secret stuff for the Feds, and used to travel regularly from Chicago to our facilities in the Phoenix area.

The old timers told me the same thing. In the 50s, it was a dry heat. But, then the population boomed and people put in pools and lawns that need watering. They said ‘it ain’t a dry heat anymore’. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
quote:
no, it hasn't been over 120 degrees, which is why the airport was shutdownjune 26, 1990, when it got to 122.
airlines only had performance charts to 120 deg, boeing had charts for higher temps but airlines didn't want to buy them!!

I remember that year. I was working for America West Airlines at BWI. A few of the flights leaving Phoenix were late arriving because they couldn't take off with enough fuel to make the trip and had to stop along the way to re-fuel.

I was working a 2 alarm fire that morning and a 3 alarm fire that afternoon. 122° is suck ass heat to put gear on!

back then i was flying a helicopter for the bureau of reclamation, working the 122 day on a mountain top east of salome.

which fire department??
i originally came to phx in march '82 to fly for survival flight/phoenix baptist hosp. we used to spend time at phx 41, in service for lunch, with rodney holz/paramedic!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's 113 degrees right now and 16% humidity. If that ain't it, what exactly are we calling a "dry heat?"

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now question #2:

How many people have had to be rescued off of piestiwa peak by Phx first responders this year ?

The last year I was there it was 12 in July

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been living in the Prescott region for 8 years now, having moved from the gun owner he’ll that is NY.
The area I live is close to Goldilocks for weather, this year being an exception usually our summer highs do not exceed 100, and we get a couple light dusting of snow in winter and get generally one “ winter storm” for 6-12 inches of snow, gone in a few days.
If we ever wanted to do a get together up Prescott way, I could suggest some venues.
We just came home from Phoenix today and it was pretty brutal down there.

Even compared to a unusually hot summer in Buffalo where I used to live ( mid 80’s with 80+% humidity) we have very few unpleasant days here

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Cochise County in southeast Arizona is, weather wise, absolutely great. Rarely above 100°. Except for Monsoon season, low humidity. Highest percentage of unwed mothers in Arizona.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

116 degrees in Mesa today at 4Razz.m.
If you can believe WeatherForYou

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

back then i was flying a helicopter for the bureau of reclamation, working the 122 day on a mountain top east of salome.

which fire department??
i originally came to phx in march '82 to fly for survival flight/phoenix baptist hosp. we used to spend time at phx 41, in service for lunch, with rodney holz/paramedic!!

I was perusing some older posts and just saw this one. I graduated medic class for Phx Fire back in ‘83.
It wasn’t until the ‘90s that I flew occasionally with DPS on Ranger 41.
I remember Rodney quite well. Cool If memory serves, he did a lot of time at sta. 24 too.
Remember when the level 1 hospitals were County, Scottsdale Memorial, JCL, Good Sam and St. Joes? Now there are so many you can’t swing a cat without hitting one!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

which fire department??

I was perusing some older posts and just saw this one. I graduated medic class for Phx Fire back in ‘83.
It wasn’t until the ‘90s that I flew occasionally with DPS on Ranger 41.
I remember Rodney quite well. Cool If memory serves, he did a lot of time at sta. 24 too.
Remember when the level 1 hospitals were County, Scottsdale Memorial, JCL, Good Sam and St. Joes? Now there are so many you can’t swing a cat without hitting one!

it wasn't 41, it was 24 where we'd fly in for lunch/poker in-service quite a bit. also played a lot of golf with rodney on off days.

jess wilhite, bobby pareda, pat berkel, pat becker/glendale, + medics from all valley departments worked part-time.

rodney went to 41 when it opened, i took a job flying in the bahamas!

i put in time with air-evac at all the samaritan facilities. scotsdale osborne had the best food, desert sam a close 2nd for breakfast!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
116 degrees in Mesa today at 4Razz.m.
If you can believe WeatherForYou

Well, it's 113 degrees in Mesa now, so yeah. This weekend was warm. The rest of the stuff from Hilary blew off and then sun came out.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You guys have my respect. There is no way I could live in AZ.
I was born there (at Bartlett Dam), but only lived there my first year. When the dam was finished my dad moved us to other construction projects. My parents and sister lived in Arizona for many years later on. I tried to visit in the winter.

flashguy

I remember in the 80’s our news media in New Mexico was reporting on how all the eastern transplants were moving to Maricopa county and trying to “green it” like back east thereby raising the humidity levels.

We had a small patch of grass planted to give the kids and dogs some relief from the adobe soil all around us.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post