SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new computer monitor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new computer monitor Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
My dell 24
" (can't remember the model) died. This was one we had in our graphics department in my business. It wasn't quite top of the line but an upper end unit. It served us well for 7-8 years in the business and I brought it home when we sold, and it's been my desktop monitor since 2011. Money well spent.

I've got a cheap-o Samsung that's been in my closet for 10 some years getting me through for now.

I'm leaning on another Dell. What I want is a 24" (the way it sits on my desk, I think a 27 would be overkill) with all of the good ports, a USB hub and a option to mount a sound bar below the screen optionally built in speakers. Super high def isn't that important. Anyone have any recent experience with Dell offerings?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Several threads on this subject exist.

Dell has a good precision display like the U2419H. I concur that 24 inches is big enough. I have no love for my 27 inch monitor.

Bestbuy has UHD monitors for under $300. Costco the same. Look for the most pixels for the lowest cost, by a reputable source like Samsung, Dell, LG.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I've used Dell P2419H monitors and they've been pretty good. I have a trio of HP VH240a's and they each have slight differences even with the same settings. If you want something a little cheaper look at the Viewsonic VG2440 or VG2448. I like monitors that are fully adjustable though.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
https://www.dell.com/en-us/sho...-monitor-accessories

I use that one but a 24” is an option.

On higher definition screens you may need to bump up the view size %.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In all honesty ~ most everything is decent.
You can boil it down to more specific needs like size, budget, connection compatibility and of course intended use.
A Dell 24" would certainly be a safe bet.
Go for it.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Try ACER recertified, they are showing 23.8 monitors for 79.00. I have no experience with them but thinking about getting recertified Chromebook.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a new computer and I've been enjoying the curved monitor I purchased with it. Its a Samsung 4k from Costco. They had a good deal on it. If you haven't tried the curved monitors I find that its weird for like a day and then its actually pretty great.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks lads, I've settled on a Dell C2423H. They tout it as a video conferencing monitor because it has built in web cam and speakers. I do a fair amount of Telehealth sessions since lately it's been just follow ups not requiring touchy-feeling things, plus the connectivity is pretty good. I would have liked a QHD but I've live with way less than HFD so this will be an upgrade. About $300

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post