SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting rid of underground yellow jackets
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting rid of underground yellow jackets Login/Join 
posted
I noticed a underground yellow jacket nest in my yard this morning and need to get rid of it ASAP. What's the best way to get rid of them? Someone mentioned pouring gas into the hole but,Id rather not do that. I was thinking of putting my garden hose in the whole at night and drowning them. I really don't want to pay someone if I can avoid it but if that's the best COA I guess I'll have to go in that direction. What say you?

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put some dawn soap in the water. It helps to drown them

Posts: 1079 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I’ve had to fight them as well.
Fire is your friend. I would mix gasoline or diesel with transmission fluid wait until dark when they are all returned and then light it.
You can do water later.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a yellow jacket nest in a hollow tree stump. I made a really strong mix joy dish detergent in a 1 gallon bottle of water and stuck the mouth of the bottle into the hole.

It kept them in the nest. The next morning there weren't any more yellow jackets.

I was surprised it worked so well. Your milage may vary.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13482 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Boil water then add dish soap. Stir and pour down the hole on a cool night. Then cap to seal in the freshness. A cool kight is better as all the wasps will be sleeping.

Had to do it a couple years back. Problem solved.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5792 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I noticed an underground yellow jacket nest in my yard this morning and need to get rid of it ASAP. What's the best way to get rid of them? Someone mentioned pouring gas into the hole but,Id rather not do that....

Why not? Go out after sunset and pour just 1 teaspoon of gasoline in the hole, then close the hole over with your foot or a small wad of paper. The fumes kill the whole nest.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for boiling water. Worked for me on a ground hornets nest on the foundation of my house. Obviously, fire was not an option. Boiling water worked just fine.

Posts: 400 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I noticed an underground yellow jacket nest in my yard this morning and need to get rid of it ASAP. What's the best way to get rid of them? Someone mentioned pouring gas into the hole but,Id rather not do that....

Why not? Go out after sunset and pour just 1 teaspoon of gasoline in the hole, then close the hole over with your foot or a small wad of paper. The fumes kill the whole nest.

I was thinking I'd have to ignite the gas, didn't realize I just needed a small amount and the fumes would do the rest. Im going to try and go with water and dish detergent and if that doesn't work I'll try gas. Thanks

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Look around for a secondary entrance and plug it if you find it. I've poured a couple oz of gas down the hole at dusk and that works.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Look around for a secondary entrance and plug it if you find it. I've poured a couple oz of gas down the hole at dusk and that works.

I just poured a couple gallons of boiling water mixed with dish detergent into the hole so I'll see if that does the trick. I didn't really think of a secondary entrance but ill check.

posted Hide Post
When I discovered an in ground nest in my yard (I was stung by six as I walked by it), because I am mildly allergic to bee stings, I called a professional. It cost me $85.00 but he sprayed the openings at sunrise on a cool morning from a distance then proceeded to dig up the nest to ensure it was all neutralized.

It took me about four weeks to heal from the stings I received having to take OTC medication three a day (swelling, open wounds, and of course the itching). What I did not have then, but I do now, are several “stinger suckers”. Trying to get them out with a credit card is not a pleasant process.

Best $85.00 spent - at least for me….

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not allergic to bee stings but I've been stung before and its not a fun experience. The nest was right next to my walkway and driveway so to close for comfort so it had to go ASAP.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Locate the entrance hole.
Wait until a half hour after dark.
Pour about a half cup of gasoline into the hole.
The end.

Rinse and repeat as needed if others are found.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Caddyshack way. Big Grin

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There’s a guy on YouTube that pours molten aluminum down the hole. He digs it up later, cleans it off and displays the casting as art.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29901 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've always dumped gas in the hole and lit from a distance.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7136 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I’ve had to fight them as well.
Fire is your friend. I would mix gasoline or diesel with transmission fluid wait until dark when they are all returned and then light it.
You can do water later.

This right here.

Dish soap and water sounds nice, until you get stung. The trifecta of petroleum will take care of them without any fuckery.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
After dark when they are mostly home- there will be two or three sentinels guarding the hole- pour a gallon of chlorox down the hole (hit the sentinels)- and run like hell. Nest is dead the next day.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
There are always 2 holes, both must be addressed. And whatever you do, please don't put your foot over one of the holes as was suggested above, you would regret doing that.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1877 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Here is my recipe that always works and doesn’t involve chemicals. Get a large, clear glass bowl (as large and clear as possible). Fill with hot water and a little dish soap. Pour down the hole; once you start pouring, the little bastards can’t get out. When it’s all gone, place the bowl centered over the hole and tamp lightly into the now damp ground. They can now get out of the hole but are fooled into thinking the hole isn’t obstructed. Leave the bowl in place for a week or two- monitor for activity.

Because they can see daylight when they fly out, the glass bowl fools them into thinking the hole is open and they won’t dig a new entrance. It’s a slow process but has always worked well enough for me that I have a clear glass mixing bowl from goodwill that is only used for this task. The key is a good seal to the ground so they can’t find a way out easily.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15781 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post