SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart closing 269 stores
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart closing 269 stores Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Walmart built a store in my city in a relatively undeveloped intersection . The area has exploded with new businesses , many of them locally owned .
Our store sells guns and ammo too . And that " Chinese junk " is the same stuff everybody else sells . So much rhetoric ..

Posts: 4048 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Walmart built a store in my city in a relatively undeveloped intersection . The area has exploded with new businesses , many of them locally owned .
Our store sells guns and ammo too . And that " Chinese junk " is the same stuff everybody else sells . So much rhetoric ..

Nope. It’s not. Lots of times we don’t even carry the same lines because we don’t want to sell the mass produced crap. When I was buying baby blankets for a friend’s shower, I went to a locally owned place, and I went to Walmart to check and see. They both carried the “same” item, but the local place had a few hundred more thread count in their blanket..better quality. Both looked the same and packaged the same, except for that little note. Walmart carried the cheaper, lower quality version of the same thing.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
There are 2 closing in the Portland Oregon metro area.

1) Walmart Super Center 4200 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266 It is 3.1 miles directly North of another Walmart also on 82nd Ave. Both are located on 82nd avenue which itself is a main drag of run-down everything. 82nd showcases Portland at its best old motels, pawn shops, used car lots, meth dealers, fentanyl dealers, and the slums. I really don't like going to either store and would prefer to well just not.

- I didn't live in the area but might stop in at both to see if there were any deals on ammo. It was the first Walmart in the area that I knew of, bought a few things there over the years but generally stayed away from it.

2) Walmart Super Center 1123 N Hayden Meadows Dr, Portland, OR 97217 This store is located right at the northern border of the city across the river from Vancouver WA. I'm sure a lot of people from WA shop to take advantage of no sales tax in Oregon. The area is run down and a lot of homeless are encamped around there. Good bridges to sleep under, a lot of natural areas, and parks. No new investment in the area in quite some time and well just a post-industrial kind of feel.

- Last I was there ~8 years ago to get a water filer they had in stock. The whole experience was bad from the parking lot all the way through the store. Felt that a person should at least have a .357 or a 10mm to go there.

- This 2nd location is right near the Columbia river, a guy had bought some surplus ships and was going to make them a museum, etc. He died and so they just sat there moored, homeless people moved in and lived on them, stripping anything they could to sell. One moron decided to remove the sea strainer valves, not sure how many if any he got out before the ship flooded and sunk. After 1-2 years the Coast Guard finally hauled them out of there and to a scrapper, the cost for US taxpayers $1M+ thank you Portland mayor and city council

- Bed Bath and Beyond also on 82nd Ave, but further south (almost) outside the scummy area also is closing this weekend. I would never own a business on 82nd. I'm sure you know that kind of area it is.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

Nope. It’s not. Lots of times we don’t even carry the same lines because we don’t want to sell the mass produced crap. When I was buying baby blankets for a friend’s shower, I went to a locally owned place, and I went to Walmart to check and see. They both carried the “same” item, but the local place had a few hundred more thread count in their blanket..better quality. Both looked the same and packaged the same, except for that little note. Walmart carried the cheaper, lower quality version of the same thing.
Baby blankets ....Wow . Case closed I guess .

Posts: 4048 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

Baby blankets ....Wow . Case closed I guess .

*Yawn* one personal example among thousands. If you bother to look around, you'll see more. If you bother. Up to you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thousands . Got it . Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Walmart has announced closing 269 stores.

Shit, that move will put 14 cashiers out of work.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post