SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Do you mate your DIRTY socks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Do you mate your DIRTY socks? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Forever I just threw my dirty socks in the hamper loose. Occasionally I would notice a pair no longer seemed to be in cirulation. Que the old dryer eating socks joke…

But then a while back I ran across a basket full of odd socks my wife kept, There must of been 30 or 40 of them!!! Mostly hers, some mine, but no mates. She must have been saving them for years!

So in an effort to help I started mating my dirty socks together before throwing in the hamper. Too soon to determine if it helps or not but at least they are together as long as possible. I think they got into separate wash loads before on occasion.

So the question. Is this something people normally do or not?

Question:
Do you mate your DIRTY socks?

Choices:
Of course I do you heathen.
Nope.
Socks?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want more dirty socks so I only mate the clean ones. Razz

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When it's time for new socks I buy a few packages and shit can the rest. I hate having socks that don't match. I have 2 types of socks, gold toe white and gold toe black. Same with glad-ware plastic containers. All the same or nothing.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
why save that crap,socks are cheap? !!!

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Your socks are one-time use and then throw aways? I don't think that's what you meant. Wink

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
That's what wives are for.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy a large amount of the same type of sock. If one bites the dust, I set the good sock aside then bide my time until I have another bad sock. Then, as if by magic, I have a pair of good socks again!
No need to match. They all look the same.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
When it's time for new socks I buy a few packages and shit can the rest. I hate having socks that don't match. I have 2 types of socks, gold toe white and gold toe black. Same with glad-ware plastic containers. All the same or nothing.

Considered that actually.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
I don't want more dirty socks so I only mate the clean ones. Razz

For The Win, right out of the chute. When all the wash is done if any don’t have mates, put them aside. The mates generally show up in a pocket, pant leg, or sweatshirt sleeve before long.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I buy a large amount of the same type of sock. ...snip...

Yup. Makes laundry day easy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Of course not.

However I never buy a single pair of socks. I always get multiples of the same. So if I get an odd sock, I save it. Either it's mate shows up, or I'll odd another one of the same batch, and it will get matched up again. I will sometimes intentionally odd a sock, if I find a sock with a big enough hole in it. The holier than thou sock gets tossed, but it's mate goes into the odd pile.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ain’t nobody got time for dat.

I wear boots. Nobody sees my socks but me. As long as they’re kind of a similar color and thickness, I just put them together. Thus far, nothing bad has happened.

Posts: 26944 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't mate them per say, but they go from my feet into the washer as a pair. Somehow they still seem to disappear in the dryer from time to time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I replied 'nope'. I buy a 12 pack of new socks once a year and throw the old socks away as necessary.

Before someone starts a new silly poll, I do occasionally turn my underwear inside out... Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever wear socks, to the point that I wore a pair last week and the wife got all confused. In real cold weather I'll wear them but they pretty much match themselves, all Smartwool, different color or weight.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Buy them by the dozen. They all match.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Your socks are one-time use and then throw aways? I don't think that's what you meant. Wink

Actually a good friend ....a very single type of fellow does big new socks instead of washing them.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
As long as they’re kind of a similar color and thickness, I just put them together. Thus far, nothing bad has happened.

Dude, you are playing with fire. Only a matter of time until you get burned! Razz

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's a vast left wing conspiracy to prevent all socks from being the same, otherwise we would be universally freed from this everlasting curse of sock mating. GDCs.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I do. I mate them when I take them off. My wife hates it and fusses every laundry day. My mother instructed me to do so at an early age and after 20 years of marriage I can’t not do it. I assume they get separated before they go into the wash.

I’ve never done my own laundry so it’s a mystery to me. I’ve always had my mother, a girlfriend, a maid, or my now wife of 20 years do the laundry.

All I can do with the washer or dryer is repair it.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post