SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Comcast, plans, equipment etc...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Comcast, plans, equipment etc... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I hate Comcast. I had them before and can't stand dealing with their constant price changes and plan schemes. Anyhow, for 3 years we have had to use wifi hotspots over cellular because we have no cable on our street.

Well cable is coming. The tree trucks are clearing trees around the poles and the bad poles are marked for replacement. One of the workers said we should have cable by Labor Day. I expect that to mean maybe by next year.

In any case I looked at the current "deals" online. Equipment and television has changed. I think my plan will be for the highest speed internet only (currently $90/month for 2 years). They seem to include some sort of streaming live tv device with this. They also offer the regular cable tv deal.

But we've been using FUBO for live tv. We are used to it. It has all the stations we want, it's affordable and once we have cable internet our location issue will be resolved (cellular wifi often has the wrong location so we don't get local channels).

I think I'll want to buy my own modem and router or combo. The less money I give to Comcast the better. I'll want a router that probably is a mesh system to cover all 3 floors of the house without issues.

So anything I should be careful of with Comcast (other than screen shots of the deal we buy so we have proof when they bait and switch)? What equipment should I buy?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I’m probably one of the few who haven’t had any issues with Comcast. The few times I’ve called to help troubleshoot issues they’ve been very prompt and helpful. That being said, I use my own equipment, a Netgear Nighthawk and an Orbi 6 mesh router and it’s been fantastic. Zero dead spots in my house, garage or yard.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
So anything I should be careful of with Comcast (other than screen shots of the deal we buy so we have proof when they bait and switch)? What equipment should I buy?

If you are buying your own modem, router and AP then you should have everything under your own control, right?

I usually recommend getting a compatible modem, separate wired router and separate AP's placed in high use areas and properly configured. Smile
That advice usually gets translated by most end-users as getting an all-in-one device and/or adding consumer grade MESH units. Frown

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got no love for Comcast/Xfinity however, I'm lucky to have had no issues....so far Roll Eyes

I use an Orbi mesh modem/router combo, saved I think $20/mo instead of using theirs.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from Ziply Fiber (formerly Frontier) to Comcast. I've got better performance, service and more channels (channels that I wanted) with Comcast for same or slightly lower cost. No complaints with Comcast/Xfinity.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
With cable modems, use the Google fu for what is compatible. Read reviews of the top few and decide.

Definitely run your own router. I use ASUS.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

If you are buying your own modem, router and AP then you should have everything under your own control, right?

I usually recommend getting a compatible modem, separate wired router and separate AP's placed in high use areas and properly configured. Smile
That advice usually gets translated by most end-users as getting an all-in-one device and/or adding consumer grade MESH units. Frown

Can you recommend specific products?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARRIS modem (SB6183 or SB8200) if you don't need telephony or GIG speeds so you don't NEED Docsis 3.1. I then use ASUS AC86U for a gateway router and any cheaper ASUS router to create a great MESH. One of the percs for ASUS is the ability to use any of their routers for an integrated mesh system. Real fast too.
You would then call Comcast tech line to get the modem "provisioned" so it is recognized.
This will save you some bucks and be more reliable

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have daily issues with throttling. I pay for their premium service with a 1G modem - and have 4-5 interruption periods daily that last 20-30 minutes. When I call - they run their cute test and say that everything looks good on their end. I then remind them that I am renting their equipment - so they own BOTH ends. Mad

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post