SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goals after 50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goals after 50 Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Just turned fiddy meself, and this thread is relevant.

When my wife and I were still in our 20's we developed a great plan on what we wanted out of life (financially) through 50, with "be able to retire by 50" as the last goal.

Now, we are both 50, and we really didn't plan for this phase. We are nearing our retirement (ability) financially, but haven't really done anything except work and raise two great kids, so we are beginning to move from that "acquirement" phase to more of a reflective mood. Suddenly, having more money isn't as important as using the time we have left to actually live, and to enjoy one another's company. Especially when you look at the age that some of our grandparents went to be with our Lord (mid 50's!!).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of guys who still play after 50. Several even score goals now and again. Never against me of course but no reason not to lace them up and try.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Goals after 50. Double it while enjoying every minute! Being 66 I'm finding after 60 some of the healthy fun dwindles. And I'm not talking sex! I'm talking physical mobility issues. In my case being due to arthritis.

Posts: 4445 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a ways to go, but at 60 I'm retired, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I'd like to do that at 50, but child timing puts two in simo college from 51-55, so 55 is my first opportunity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Stay above ground as long as possible, become a burden on the family for fun.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
To not have to get up at 5:30 am to pee.

And then get hit again with another bladder tsunami at 9:30 am, while in the middle of a college lecture. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Mere dilettante":
1. Naval officer
2. Pilot
3. Ham radio operator
4. Attorney
5. Real estate broker
6. Financial advisor/investor
7. Shooter
8. Husband to lovely musician, lady of many talents herself
9. Grandpa
10. Indispensable source of wisdom to 85,000 or so

Sounds pretty Renaissancey to me. Wink

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Read this article, and at 56, I think I'm gonna give it a go. Wish me luck.

And for those not wanting to go to the link, it's an S I article about a 41y/o wanting to dunk a basketball.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting question. Tomorrow (June 9) marks 40 continuous years that I have worked for Uncle Sam.

I went to Boot Camp at RTC/NTC San Diego. Was in the Navy 24 years. Retired as an LDO/LCDR and immediately (while on terminal leave) took a job with a govt contractor for 6 months, then started as a govt civilian employee.

I have been doing the same stuff for 40 years. I'm kind of tired of it. I have seen a lot of changes. Forgotten more stuff than I can remember.

I hope to retire in March 2019. For many years I have said the one of my "objectives" at work is not to die at my desk. I have seen too many friends die while working or die within 6 months of retirement.

I don't want to be that guy.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 656 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
after 50 I want to learn Judo and become a Black Belt.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
"Mere dilettante":
1. Naval officer
2. Pilot
3. Ham radio operator
4. Attorney
5. Real estate broker
6. Financial advisor/investor
7. Shooter
8. Husband to lovely musician, lady of many talents herself
9. Grandpa
10. Indispensable source of wisdom to 85,000 or so

Sounds pretty Renaissancey to me. Wink

Well, Merriam-Webster says a dilettante is

quote:

: an admirer or lover of the arts
: a person having a superficial interest in an art or a branch of knowledge : dabbler

Add to the list musician and triathlete, BTW.

I did get into some of those areas well beyond dabbling, the business/professional ones, particularly, but I'm certainly not a proficient shooter, never was. Same with triathloning. I was a survivor, a finisher, not really a racer.

I was a Navy officer, had the commission, but was never occupied in those duties, never a qualified watch stander, etc. I was a computer geek.

I was a pretty serious pilot, really into it, but private only with no interest in flying professionally, instructing. I didn't want to be a Blue Angel; I just wanted to fly like one! Same with ham radio, merely a hobby. I did work my way through college as a musician, among other things.

Being a grandpa is pretty easy. You just take pictures, pose for pictures while beaming proudly like you had something to do with it.

Being married to a terrific wife, young, thin, blond and French, and an avid classical pianist, pilot and triathlete herself, is just a matter of luck. She made me an offer I couldn't refuse! Cool

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have gone to Fla a couple different times.
We just got back from Az. Doing a shooting school for a week with my son.
We went to Utah about 3 years ago and took our UTV, that was a great vacation.
We went to Montana,Wyo, and South Dakota about 6 years ago, pretty good vacation.
Seeing The Cody Wyo museum was fantastic.
Next we want to do another house boat on lake Cumberland again.
We want to go to WV to the Hatfield McCoy ATV trails.
We want to go to Mich and the UP to the National Forest to UTV.
Want to see my grandson play little league in a few years, he is 3.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Well I'm fifteen years late.

First goal, retiring at the end of this month. Well, semi retiring. Three days a week in a Harley dealership. Friend wants to sell on Ebay, he owns a shop that does hot rod work and fabrication. Wants me to help set it up.

Finish a lot of things started but not finished over the years. One stalled project car build, pretty much at a standstill for various reasons. Put in a garden next year. Spend more time with my wife and grandchild and soon to be another grandchild.

Trace my family tree, have a mystery, need to locate my great great grandfather's grave along with my great grandmother's brother's also, I know the cemetery but incomplete records for that time period. Have some leads to track down, been working on this since the mid 1990's.

Want to get proficient with my Garand. Learn to reload. We are planning to travel, will start next year looking for a used Class C motorhome, I hate motels and hotels with a passion.

Want to bum around the southwest for awhile. When we lived in New Mexico in the 80's I made a lot of friends there, now scattered from Missouri to California. Want to see all them again. Pick up the 1965 Suzuki Hillbilly my friend in California is holding for me. Will restore it and use it as a camp bike on the back of the motorhome.

Last but not least, one of my friends quit motorcycling a few years ago. He told me that he wants to get another and hinted, well came right out and said that he wants me to come to Texas, meet him and we take off for a few weeks to the Pacific Northwest. So, just in the discussion stages at present.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Doubled the horsepower in my car and owned many more 1911s!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Able to retire now... Still love my job and the people I work with.

When I do, I would love to live either in Italy or Spain and immerse in the language and culture.

Love to travel, would like to experience deeper.
In Barcelona now.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Doubled the horsepower in my car and owned many more 1911s!

Truth right there....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Do a pilgrimage like the Shikoku 88 Temple ohenro.

See the aurora borealis.

See the bioluminescent squid in Toyama.

See the bioluminescent mushrooms in Japan.

See sea life by snorkeling/scuba in places like the Great Barrier Reef.

Swim with dolphins, feed rays in their natural habitats.

Eat at the top Michelin rated restaurant for French, Italian, Japanese cuisines.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13088 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Breathing

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My goal at 50 (2008) was to live 2 more years until retirement (2010).

DONE!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've got some goals, but most days I'm happy if I can just make it onto the ice.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post