SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goals after 50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goals after 50 Login/Join 
posted
I'm just coming off a very nice vacation to Colorado with my wife and daughter. No mid life crisis or anything, but thinking about places I'd like to see and things I'd like to do over the next few decades.

I'd be interested to hear from the over 50 crowd what your goals are, or what you've accomplished since then.

Not a competition, but just a way of building a list and introducing a dose of reality at the same time.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I'm 34 but I've lived and Germany, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. I've been to most of Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, and the Philippines. I have visited around 40 of the states so far.

Things left to do:
Guam
Maine for lobster season
Alaska
Grand Canyon
South Korea
France
Spain
Portugal
Egypt

After 50, I hope to retire early, travel a lot and open a brewery.

What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7149 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sell my stuff before I croak

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Shoot more, work less. Right now, I'm working the day job, and working the small business that is busier than ever.

I want to shoot more matches, have more time to train. Do some stuff for me. Take another Frank Proctor class. Maybe Pat Mac and Nooner. Enjoy the finer stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37174 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I wanted to be a Renaissance Man, but ended up a mere dilettante.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this thread is relevant to my interests Big Grin
-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm only 44, but I am hoping to retire in ~2030 when I am 57 or so. Wife and I both work, live well below our means and save as much as we can (20% of income). My youngest will be graduating HS that year. I'll be able to pay for in-state college for both of my boys.

The plan is to live on a beach for 5 winter months (different rental place every year) and live here in CO for the other 7.

Living below our means sucks sometimes, but we try to keep our eyes on the prize.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
To not have to get up at 5:30 am to pee.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
To not have to get up at 5:30 am to pee.

Wait 'til you get old.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Put in another fifty!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 66, everything just seems like a futile waste of energy.

I used to want to "do stuff"; now, I just think "Why?"

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I just turned 60 but when i was younger I had a list of goals that, fortunately I was able to meet. They included:

1. Live long enough to see both my sons graduate. (My Dad died when i was 12 and it was traumatic growing up without him)
2. Have enough saved up to put both of them through college. Check!
3. Pay off the mortgage on our house by the time I was 60 (paid off when I was 57).

Now that I'm nearing retirement i want to sock enough away to be able to travel pretty much 6 months of the year (we just bought a camper). I also want to visit all 7 continents (Two more to go!)
One last thing would be to see both of my sons marry and have children and that is moving along as well.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Start working towards them now. Not even close to 50 but regret sucks.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stD9RycSXiU

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My biggest goals are
1)Retire at 62
2)Pay off my house (On track to do before I retire)
3)See all 50 states. (That'll be a big one, only have about 12-13 down so far)

I just turned 50, so I've got a while. (I hope)

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Shoot my age in Golf. Smile

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Live long
Prosper

And stay healthy!

Everything else is gravy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10532 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Just remember, life is what happens while you are making other plans.

Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
I'm 55 and my goals are to continue on with things I enjoy right now.
Grandkids, shootin' in the backyard and spending some more time with Mrs GGF! Wink

I WOULD like to retire at 63 but ... we'll see.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
One thing I especially want is to visit the Holy Land, hopefully several times.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turn 50 in a few months and while I can't say I've never thought about what goals I have, it isn't on my mind much.
The house will be paid off in about 7 years so that'll help.
My Grandfather started the business I have and worked damned near till the day he died at age 85. He wasn't there every day but he came in to see how things were going.
My Dad is now semi retired at the age of 74 and he comes in most days. In the Winter time, he's in Florida.
So I probably see myself doing the same thing and working for 20+ more years.
My daughter is 17 and I'll probably see her go to college and graduate.
I've traveled a bit and have seen all but 6-7 states in the CONUS. I won't leave the US so Europe and the like aren't going to happen.
More of a dream than a goal is to move out to Wyoming/Montana and have a big chunk of land away from most people. That would take Powerball money so it's not going to come to fruition.
Right now I'll just take my constant state of blissfully content and carry on.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post