SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am confused by this signature line
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am confused by this signature line Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
This is the stupidest thing ever. Today for the first time I saw the person’s signature as “they, them, their”. What the hell is that? I get “he, him” or “she, her” but “they, them, their?” Do you have split personalities?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
X-Force!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I will add, it's obvious that some of you don't work with people where you really can't tell and it could go either way. lol
It does on occasion come in handy where I work. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I will add, it's obvious that some of you don't work with people where you really can't tell and it could go either way. lol

I can appreciate that, but still what the heck does it mean if they say their pronoun is “They?” After Googling, they, them is used in English language when you don’t know the gender identity of the person so possibly if the person themselves is using “they, them” then they themselves don’t even know their own gender identity or haven’t figured it out yet. Good grief. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I can appreciate that, but still what the heck does it mean if they say their pronoun is “They?” After Googling, they, them is used in English language when you don’t know the gender identity of the person so possibly if the person themselves is using “they, them” then they themselves don’t even know their own gender identity or haven’t figured it out yet. Good grief. Roll Eyes
I don't care what Google says--"they, them" is only correct when referring to multiple persons. If the sex of the single person being referenced is unknown, don't use a pronoun -- use the name.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I don't care what Google says--"they, them" is only correct when referring to multiple persons. If the sex of the single person being referenced is unknown, don't use a pronoun -- use the name.

flashguy

100% agree

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Pronouns (Your highness, your worship, oh great and all knowing one)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm a train / He's a train / She's a train

That oughta confuse the fuck out of 'em.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the positives. The next time your boss gets pissed just tell him that you can't talk to a black woman this way.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post