SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does a Blackhawk have a pretty unique sound?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a Blackhawk have a pretty unique sound? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I can’t remember what one sounds like, but I think Border Patrol just flew over my house in one. Usually we hear the Coast Guard Dolphin which sounds quite unique too.

This one sounded almost like someone gargling.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think so...our National Guard will be doing their Thursday training flights shortly...and they take a sweet path over our place.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you've heard a Huey , then anything else does not feel like safety.
Blackhawks are a little flatter on the thump.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. They are loud. Really loud, deep and powerful. But fairly smooth due to 4 bladed rotor and 4 bladed tail rotor. If you are used to hearing "regular" police, news and med-evac helicopters, a 60 will sound like the second coming of Christ.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12781 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Once you have heard it fly over close you will never forget it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I say yes. A few years back I was awakened to a powerful thrumming noise. Just a few hundred feet away was a pair of 'hawks hovering over the sloughway. I kept seeing them all over town for about a week afterwards, flying in and around SFO.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used to call theUSCG dolphin “whistling shitcan”

Yeah the Blackhawk/Jayhawk has its own sound. They fly over Temple day and night because of ft hood

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is one of those weird things how different helicopters sound from the inside vs on the ground.
The inside has that high pitch whine of transmission/turbine, it is hard to hear the blades.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We do have Chinooks fly over fairly often. I think they’re my favorite as far as copter sounds.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
One thing that I think is different about the 60 is that I don’t hear them from miles away, like you can with the UH-1

Posts: 13270 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Yeah the Hueys have a distinct sound amd the Blackhawks not aas much. I have flown on both and the Huey seems like you are flying in a beer can and feels like one when it's gusty out. The Blackhawks seem much more stable and are. The Blackhawks give you more of a confident feeling glying them than the "Wop Wop" of the Hueys.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
ALL HELO’s make a distinct sound unto themselves. Blackhawks absolutely make a distinct sound and can be heard some distance off.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I was thinking old model Ruger Blackhawks and the three clicks. Yes they do.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
We had some Hueys fly over the Air Force Academy this week. My brain noticed a difference from the usual blackhawks, but I didn't really notice they were Hueys until I actually saw them. They don't come by often, so I wasn't very familiar with them.

The various choppers I've heard do have distinct sounds, and I imagine it wouldn't take one long to make the differences obvious. We have occasional flyovers by Blackhawks, Chinooks, Apaches, and Ospreys (VTOLS). Some even make occasional scheduled landings in the Academy Cadet area (I could actually go out and talk to the aircrew and drool over the M2s. . .). Now, the Ospreys REALLY sound different.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
My first Army assignment was with the 101st at Fort Campbell. After a year or so, I had taught my wife to distinguish between Hueys, Kiowas, Blackhawks and Chinooks. Apaches weren't there just yet.

Posts: 9046 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I am directly under the flight path of the ANG and we get Blackhawks and those Osprey things beating our windows out several times a week headed up to Dahlonega.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34122 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yes they are very distinctive. I hear and see them just about every day coming in and out of DM

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Yes. They are loud. Really loud, deep and powerful. But fairly smooth due to 4 bladed rotor and 4 bladed tail rotor. If you are used to hearing "regular" police, news and med-evac helicopters, a 60 will sound like the second coming of Christ.

The H-60 is a pussycat, You should be on deck when a H-53 is landing

I worked on 60's for 25 years, they do have an unique sound

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I am directly under the flight path of the ANG and we get Blackhawks and those Osprey things beating our windows out several times a week headed up to Dahlonega.

Ranger School

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post