SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pulled hammy update: do I need physical therapy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulled hammy update: do I need physical therapy? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Just about two months ago I had an accident where I stepped into a basement open access panel. I ended up falling about 8-9 feet. Due to the mechanics of how I fell my only significant injury was a pretty good pulled hamstring that laid me up for about a week.

Two months later and I have no ill effects as far as typical daily movements. Trying to stretch that that hamstring does reveal residual tightness and minor pain.... like a stretched rubber band or like the muscle itself feels “shorter” than the other hammy.

Just yesterday at work I had the need to do a real light jog and frankly, it felt real dysfunctional. It was like it just wasn’t working right with some accompanying pain.

Should I be going back to my primary doc to get a referral for a physical therapist or do I just need more time?

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would make a trip to your PCP and maybe therapy.

I can state this from personal experience.
I was out jogging getting ready for a PT test and step in a minor little hole.

It tweaked my right hip, and ham. Well I put off going to the DR and a year later it is still bothering me.

Comes to find out my body adapted, especially with me sitting a lot of at work, and lifting. Well it caused my perineum nerve got pinched so now I am out to therapy all the time trying to get ready to go to reclass for the Army with only slight pain.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See your Doc and go from there. May need to see an orthopedist and then physical therapy.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I pulled both my of hamstrings playing hockey. Not at the same time though. I know how you feel. I didn't get therapy. I still feel the effects of them. The bruising was scary it went all the way down my legs .
If there is any therapy I would go.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I pulled one when keeping my motorcycle from hitting the pavement 3 or 4 years ago.
My leg was unusable for days.
I saw a doctor that sent me home with muscle relaxers and pain killers, but no PT.
I recovered and have no ill effects.
If in doubt, see your Doc .
G'Luck

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Go to the doc and ask for physical therapy referral.

You asking the question seems you're not the kind who just wants attention and to be babied. Your doc knows you so he knows you're serious about your complaints.

Good luck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Get a portable electric stim machine. They are not expensive.

I have one and it's the size of a small cell phone.

Slap that sucker on your Hammy and let it do its thing. they help with deep healing.

Or you could see the Doc Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Have you tried gentle, gradual hamstring stretches?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

If so, warm up before stretching. Muscles are like taffy, stiff and prone to snapping while cold but very stretchy when warm.

Also, add in foam rolling.

Edit: I'm sure the OP knows this, just clarifying for anyone who might be reading along.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Also, add in foam rolling.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't see how taking drugs and jumping around in a room full of foam while blasting techno music will help with a pulled hamstring...

Wink

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Oh gawd. Flash back to the foam parties of my college youth. So gross.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I do some, yes. They hurt a bit but I figure they’re good for me.

Never been a big fan of foam rollers but I can give it a whirl.

Seeing the doctor tomorrow to discuss the situation. Maybe my expectations are just not realistic. I figure since I already blew through my deductible with the ER visit might as well take full advantage for the rest of the year.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Doctor thought physical therapy was a superb idea. I’ve been going 3 times a week since shortly after the OP. I enjoy it for the most part, except when she pulls out the huge metal bar and proceeds to try and make me confess to anything by running that thing up my hamstrings or calf. Man that thing hurts.

During the evaluation we talked about my knees, which have had sharp pain for years (since I abused them the first time I lost a much of weight). She’s treating those too and would like to continue on those after the hammy is done (which is coming along nicely).

Just today she was kind of massage the inner knee area (miniscus?) and the pain was really astounding, especially considering she wasn’t pressing real hard and it was just her thumb.