SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Carpeting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Carpeting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Replacing the carpet in the house now. We are having Mohawk Smart Strand (pet safe) carpet installed. Life time warranty against pet stains. Installer suggested painting sub-floor with Killzit to seal and protect from pet odors coming through new carpet (plywood sub-floor but would work with concrete slab).

8 pound carpet pad with moisture barrier.

I don't care how "pet safe" carpeting is. If someone has a dog pissing on the carpet, it is going to get underneath the carpet and trapped on top of the pad. The pad is waterproof for the most part. That's where the problem lies.

Bought carpet lately? The new weaves have a treatment that prevents fluids; spills, pet accidents, etc from soaking through. They stay on the surface for easy cleanup. Wife's incontinent 14 year old dog is no longer with us but we have other pets so we are installing pet safe.

Yes, I have and I hate the stuff. If cleaned up immediately it is not a problem with the new carpet, BUT if you don't notice and the dog piss sits on the carpet it will still wick through and onto the pad.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Replacing the carpet in the house now. We are having Mohawk Smart Strand (pet safe) carpet installed. Life time warranty against pet stains. Installer suggested painting sub-floor with Killzit to seal and protect from pet odors coming through new carpet (plywood sub-floor but would work with concrete slab).

I don't care how "pet safe" carpeting is. If someone has a dog pissing on the carpet, it is going to get underneath the carpet and trapped on top of the pad. The pad is waterproof for the most part. That's where the problem lies.

Bought carpet lately? The new weaves have a treatment that prevents fluids; spills, pet accidents, etc from soaking through. They stay on the surface for easy cleanup. Wife's incontinent 14 year old dog is no longer with us but we have other pets so we are installing pet safe.

Yes, I have and I hate the stuff. If cleaned up immediately it is not a problem with the new carpet, BUT if you don't notice and the dog piss sits on the carpet it will still wick through and onto the pad.

Jimmy, I do not know what carpet you bought, if it was treated or not so I cannot compare. I am not trying to get into a pissing contest (pun intended, just replying to the OP's post.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It can help if it matches the drapes, but it's not required.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Like others have said get the best pad with the moisture barrier.
Nylon wears better but the fibers absorb liquid so it's harder to clean.
Polyester and polypropylene don't wear as well but won't absorb liquid into the fibers so they clean much better.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

you can't beat it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Replacing the carpet in the house now. We are having Mohawk Smart Strand (pet safe) carpet installed....

Excuse me for dredging up this old thread. I'm about to replace the original carpet in our house (19yo) and I'm in need of real life carpet info. Would you mind telling us about your experience with this product? I've got 3 bedrooms to replace. It's going over a slab and we have two boys and a roadside rescue Lab to consider.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.
-TVz

Posts: 435 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We had terrible experience last time. I will never put carpet in another place ever. Laminate and area rugs for me the next go round.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our intentions are to sell when school lets out next summer. So the flooring choices are not for our long term use. We are going with laminate in the living room and dining room.
I would be interested in your carpet choice that you had a bad experience with so I could try not to repeat it.

Thanks,
-TVz

Posts: 435 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I will see if I can dig it up. No guarantee's.

I was told here there are only two or three carpet factories iirc and all carpets are made in one or another of them.

A premium pad is a small price to pay. It makes a huge difference in my mind.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought new carpet for our kids rooms from Home Depot and bought the Pet Smart carpet. It's not a problem with the pets as we only have a small dog but never goes into their rooms. We bought so if they spilled anything in it, it could be cleaned with having stains. One of the ladies at our local H.D. who assisted us in our choice said she has it in her home and did several tests with it as well and showed us a few examples/patches of carpet in bags filled with wine/grape juice and other liquids and the carpet repels all of them. It is a bit more pricey than normal carpet but not by much considering you are getting a heavier weighted carpet with better protection. The pad you don't want to skimp on. We bought the rubber pad they had there- about $.99 sq/ft as it is only $.30 more than the cheaper padding and it tends to last longer and gives you more protection with spills/pet issues. We bought the H.D. brand carpet as it gives the best warranty. The free install helped as well.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post