SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Carpeting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Carpeting Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted
Wife wants some new carpeting. She would probably just buy without doing research. So I told her I would ask my invisible friends. Please tell me what to look for, what a good carpet is made of, and how tell what’s a good deal. And how to tell a good pad. Anyone familiar with prices?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
higher the weight the better the rug

same thing with padding - denser is better.

and you want all the treatments that make stains unable to sink in/attach to the fibers.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe add some more data > how much SF, location in house, use, have pets, looking for shaggy, plush, thin pile.... etc ?? budget?

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Show her the swarf under the old carpet and pad and she'll probably not want carpet again. At least my bride didn't.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty certain that the advice you'll hear around here for HVAC systems is the same here too:

It's better to have a lower grade of carpet installed by someone who really knows what they are doing and knows how to get it tight rather than top of the line carpet installed by a hack.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe add some more data > how much SF, location in house, use, have pets, looking for shaggy, plush, thin pile.... etc ?? budget?

Also, what type of subfloor? Is it on a concrete pad? May want to get a better pad for concrete subfloor areas.

And just don't get berber. If you ever have to do any work on the carpet or on issues with subfloor, berber can be a nightmare. Doesn't re-stretch, seams are more visible especially upon 2nd time, etc

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
DR/LR, 13 steps, small landing upstairs. Probably 800 sq feet. Have pets. Dog been having accidents lately.
Have wood floors underneath. But that would be a monumental undertaking for us gimpy people. She just doesn’t want them either so there we go. We totally haven’t decided yet what to do. But she can decide so I don’t hear about it forever.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
DR/LR, 13 steps, small landing upstairs. Probably 800 sq feet. Have pets. Dog been having accidents lately.
Have wood floors underneath. But that would be a monumental undertaking for us gimpy people. She just doesn’t want them either so there we go. We totally haven’t decided yet what to do. But she can decide so I don’t hear about it forever.

Well, I was ok with it until you said dogs having accidents. The other side of the coin is go cheap with the carpeting, it's not a lot of area and replace it every 3 years. You will never totally get the smell out of carpet from dog accidents even from the best carpeting.

Personally I'd go ceramic tile.....they have ceramic tile that looks like wood. EASY to clean and lasts.....then use throw rugs in certain rooms if you want.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years so I may be outdated with my info.

Don't cheap out on the padding, you will regret it.
With the dogs you want tight, short and dense pile fibers.
DuPont stain master was the top stain resistant carpet when I was involved.
Be prepared for extra expense when you tear up the old carpet. Never know what the floor looks like underneath.
Do NOT let anyone tell you a whole room stretch isn't necessary. I never saw a room done otherwisethat didn't have wrinkles in under a year.
Properly done seams shouldn't show.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where you are putting it matters IMO.

Master Bedroom ? Get the good stuff that is soft underfoot when barefoot. I got some a few years back that is very soft and pleasing to walk on. Not cheap but worth it.

Elsewhere in the house? You can be less selective IMO. Maybe more concerned about durability / longevity.

Also - get the upgraded padding.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you can, "test walk" the carpet and padding equal to what will be installed, sometimes (especially when we get older) the extra thickness of pad and carpet is like those "moon walk houses", and you find balance and tripping an issue.

Stairs especially, and transitions from carpet to non-carpet flooring, as we tend to not pick our feet up as high when we walk as once we did.

I have no carpet. Tile or wood, and throw(away) rugs.

I recommend that, if you can go that route.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We had our place in San Diego completely tiled, no carpet. This worked out so well we had our home in Coronado all tile. Now, our home here is all tile with a wood laminate in a few rooms where the prior owners had carpet.

We have small throw rugs in a few places, easily cleaned, easily replaced.

If there is any disadvantage to this, I haven't seen it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

If there is any disadvantage to this, I haven't seen it.

I think that is likely a great solution for warmer climates.

In colder climates - carpet can be nice option.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Replacing carpet with more carpet because a dog you still have has been peeing on it, is throwing good money after bad. But I feel certain you recognize that. Pity your bride doesn't.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
no matter what they say, putting carpet on the ceiling is never, ever a good idea

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've had incredible reduction in allergy problems since eliminating carpet from my house.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have much in common, shedding dog, puppies at times, spills. For most of the house we got a short nap 'commercial' type carpet. This is the kind you may see in hotel hallways & such.

I agree, maybe in the cleaner bedroom, something a bit different.

Our two kids rooms are also the commercial type carpet.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Replacing the carpet in the house now. We are having Mohawk Smart Strand (pet safe) carpet installed. Life time warranty against pet stains. Installer suggested painting sub-floor with Killzit to seal and protect from pet odors coming through new carpet (plywood sub-floor but would work with concrete slab).

8 pound carpet pad with moisture barrier.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Replacing the carpet in the house now. We are having Mohawk Smart Strand (pet safe) carpet installed. Life time warranty against pet stains. Installer suggested painting sub-floor with Killzit to seal and protect from pet odors coming through new carpet (plywood sub-floor but would work with concrete slab).

I don't care how "pet safe" carpeting is. If someone has a dog pissing on the carpet, it is going to get underneath the carpet and trapped on top of the pad. The pad is waterproof for the most part. That's where the problem lies.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:

I don't care how "pet safe" carpeting is. If someone has a dog pissing on the carpet, it is going to get underneath the carpet and trapped on top of the pad. The pad is waterproof for the most part. That's where the problem lies.

Bought carpet lately? The new weaves have a treatment that prevents fluids; spills, pet accidents, etc from soaking through. They stay on the surface for easy cleanup. Wife's incontinent 14 year old dog is no longer with us but we have other pets so we are installing pet safe.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post