SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread making stoneware?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread making stoneware? Login/Join 
posted
I broke my Sassafrass La Cloche base a month or two back.

https://sassafrasstore.com/superstone-la-cloche/

I have been using it for 8 years. I used it for bread, chicken, roasts.

I have tried cast iron, enameled pans, and just can not quite replicate the La Cloche.

Sure i could buy another one, I don't really want to buy one as there are made in china.

So If i can't find a stoneware not made in china, I am hoping I can find a cast iron/enameled pan with lid.

I have looked all over amazon, it seems most of the enameled pans are made in china, La Creuset, lodge, amazon basics.

So, I am turning here. Do any of sig forums greats know where to find a made in the EU, or USA stoneware cloche that isnt 300, or an enameled cast iron set that also isn't over 300

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.usapan.com/

Baking pans are GTG, no experience with the stoneware, but it's made in USA.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that looks good. I am hoping i can find one with a lid for making sourdough.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
This one purports to be made in France for $130.

https://www.williams-sonoma.co...%20%26%20Loaf%20Pans

No experience with that specific unit, but the Emile Henry stuff I've used before has been good.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
https://www.usapan.com/

Baking pans are GTG, no experience with the stoneware, but it's made in USA.

I bought something from them, ended up returning it do to my tiny oven, but it seemed like some real quality stuff and was highly reviewed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
This one purports to be made in France for $130.

https://www.williams-sonoma.co...%20%26%20Loaf%20Pans

No experience with that specific unit, but the Emile Henry stuff I've used before has been good.

Awesome, I have alot, I mean alot of EH stuff. 5 bowls, 4 storage containers. So this will fit in just perfect.

I ordered one, I also picked up 2 of the USA 1 lb loaf pans. We will see how they do.

I appreciate the help guys, I have gone through a dozen different ways to replicate my old cloche unit since it broke. Back in the day they were made in Indiana, then Taiwan, (where mine was made) then Vietnam, now china.

Indiana and Taiwan, I have 0 problems with. I am concerned with baking and cooking in stuff made from the other two.

I will update you all on how it goes once they get here.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update, thanks for the recomendation on the USA loaf pans.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Lodge does make enameled cast iron dutch ovens up to 7.5 quarts. It's what I use & I'm happy with it after a couple of mishaps (my fault).
Link

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Same here. I use a Dutch oven to make some simple no-knead bread.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Lodge does make enameled cast iron dutch ovens up to 7.5 quarts. It's what I use & I'm happy with it after a couple of mishaps (my fault).
Link

The lodge enameled when I looked was made in China, the normal cast iron is made in the US.

posted Hide Post
I've used the Lodge combo set and so far so good. Not expensive at all. You cook the bread on the griddle side.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post