SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree sap on the car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree sap on the car Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I pulled the Mustang out of the shop the other day to get my miter saw out into the driveway as I'm rebuilding my porch. It's been hot and sunny here so I parked in the shade under some pine trees. I didn't give it much thought and left it out there overnight. The next morning I was driving it over to the hardware store and noticed globs of sap and a fine mist of sap all over it. Hood, trunk, canvas convertible top.

My first thought was, "Damn, this is going to cost me." When I got home I did a little googling and found some sites that recommended rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. I figured I'd give it a go and lo and behold, it took it right off easy-peasy. I just soaked a microfiber cloth with the alcohol, set it on there for a minute and wiped the sap right off.

Who knew? I'd never heard of alcohol breaking down sap like that, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tree sap on the car

From this phrase, one might build a Haiku.

Posts: 107623 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alcohol is a unique solvent in that it has both polar and non-polar properties. That allows it to dissolve both water and oil based adhesives.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have White Pine trees around the driveway. Parking under them in hot temps, midsummer leads to pine pitch dripping down.

I’ve never done specific cleaning, eventually it sublimates off. I may do the windows a little.

I’d just try not to park under the pine trees, only clean areas necessary, like windshields.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tree sap on the car

Tree sap on the car
What the heck, Mother Nature?
You've ruined my day.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good results by using some ice cubes on the spot and after it's good and frozen flick it off with a thumbnail.

Posts: 196 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Cold soapy water has worked for me. A well treated convertible top seems to be immune to sap.

Keeping the paint properly waxed really helps too. But after a sap event it is wise to clay bar and wax the vehicle.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
Cold soapy water has worked for me. A well treated convertible top seems to be immune to sap.

Keeping the paint properly waxed really helps too. But after a sap event it is wise to clay bar and wax the vehicle.

This. If you wash right away you won't need to clay bar IF the sap comes off with the wash (high quality car wash soap) AND the car was preiously clayed recently. Either way, a coat of tech wax (modern polymer based wax from Meguiars etc.) will help prevent new tree sap from damaging the clear coat. After enough time, the sap will etch the clear coat, and worse, eat it. I have one vehicle with clear coat damaged by long-term tree sap deposition, you can see the damage with a magnifier.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
I have had good results by using some ice cubes on the spot and after it's good and frozen flick it off with a thumbnail.

Before I read about the alcohol, that was going to be my first try. I have access to a liquid nitrogen sprayer. Give it a little squirt and flick. Wasn't sure what it'd do to the paint/clear coat though.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:

Before I read about the alcohol, that was going to be my first try. I have access to a liquid nitrogen sprayer. Give it a little squirt and flick. Wasn't sure what it'd do to the paint/clear coat though.
You cannot use just any alcohol. It must be "denatured". Others can damage clear coat and paint. Denatured alcohol on a soft cloth such as cotton T or cheese cloth. I have dealt with the pine sap a lot. Denatured alcohol will remove wax but not damage your clear coat or paint. It will soften and remove even weeks old, glass hard sap.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with this problem a few times as there are pine trees where I have to park sometimes.

The tiny specs will usually come off with a good wash soon after they end up on the car. Bigger spots I have had the best luck with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel. Some bigger spots that wouldn't come off easy, that are on flat surfaces, I used gel hand sanitizer with alcohol. With the gel, I could put just a little right on the sap and it would stay right in place.

I wax my car with good wax once or twice a year. I also use a spray wax and spot treat the spots I used alcohol on.

I have tried other methods and found alcohol works the best. I was hesitant to use it at first but it's the only thing I found that really works well.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
It must be "denatured".

I used regular old isopropyl. Worked like a charm.

Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Clay bar + detailing spray works for me.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Since we have a newer Highlander I should ask what is a clay bar and detailing spray? Sounds like some stuff I might need to have around.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Tree sap on a car,
Golden tears from leafy boughs,
Nature's sticky art.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
Clay bar + detailing spray works for me.

This is my remedy as well.

quote:
Tree sap on a car,
Golden tears from leafy boughs,
Nature's sticky art.

Nicely done!

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Since we have a newer Highlander I should ask what is a clay bar and detailing spray? Sounds like some stuff I might need to have around.

Clay bar is just like it sounds… sort of a waxy version of Playdough. I buy mine from Zaino.

You spray detailing spray on a clean car… rub the clay bar back and forth on the slick surface… and the clay “picks up” all the crap that is stuck on your paint’s surface. Works well at removing oil, tar and dead bugs that attach themselves to your car.

Fold the clay over on itself to get a new clay surface… repeat as necessary. Your car will never be cleaner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mttaylor1066,

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tree sap on the car

Tree sap on the car
What the heck, Mother Nature?
You've ruined my day.

Tree sap on the car,
Hardened molasses on paint;
No car wash will help.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Link Meguiars Clay Kit

There are several companies that make Clay kits, Mequiars makes one, Chemical guys have several kits.

Link Chemical Guys Clay Bar Kits

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Tree sap on the car
Gold drops will ruin my paint
Isopropyl wins

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post