SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 7. Latest IOS update broke cellular data access.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 7. Latest IOS update broke cellular data access. Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Anyone else have this issue with 15.7.1?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I also have an older iPhone 8.
15.7.1 has been fine but I'm always hesitant to update not knowing when an update will be "too much" for an older phone.
It tells me 16.1.1 is available, but for now I'm sticking with 15.7.1

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is Apples way of making you buy a new phone. First take it to an Apple store and see if they can do something with it.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Have you tried resetting your network settings?

Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. First thing I did was to reset networks No joy.

ZMICHAEL: Lower Alabama - Ain't none of them fancy Apple stores here!

Thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can call Apple or go to Best Buy or buy a new phone. If time is more important than money buy a new phone.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Can you still make phone calls? Is it just data that’s the issue?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Just data. Phone calls are fine.

Thanks,

RMD

posted Hide Post
Just traded my 7 for a 14Pro little over a week ago, so can't say if it would have done this to mine. But I had noticed calls getting poor reception and overall random issues. Went ahead and traded and they "gave me" $350 for my 7. This is with Verizon. So I would see what you can get with your carrier and upgrade. The PRO's are along the same size as the 7 if that matters. i did not want a TV stuffed in my pocket, so size was the main concern for me.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old 6S can’t install 16 or beyond, but works fine with 15.7.1.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Just data. Phone calls are fine.

Thanks,

RMD

Starting from basics, is the data enabled?

https://support.apple.com/guid...ings-iph3dd5f213/ios

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Sig 226 has you on the right track.

The easy quick fixes sometimes for general system brain farts is restarting the phone or quickly turning on and then off airplane mode. That cycles the phone and network radios off and back on.

On to what you are facing, as already said, check to make sure data is actually on turned under the phone section of settings. Updates can sometimes flip a switch off. This happens sometimes I know with iMessage. If it is already on, go ahead and turn it off and then back on just to see if that shakes a cobweb loose.

If that doesn’t work then resetting ‘Network Settings’ is the play. I see you’ve done that. At that point I’d be looking at replacing the SIM card. That’s a good idea to do every couple years (I know everything is going E-sim now but his is and older phone) and it updates for new towers added in your area. While waiting to go get one/order one, I’d put in a call to Apple support. They really have great support. Good luck with it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
An update nuked my iphone 4S wifi connectivity. The web said it was a common issue for some limited chipsets and Apple would replace the phone, no warranty the replacement would work.
Somebody figured out a short term solution by either overheating and he chip or freezing it.
Too much trouble and too risky.

I live in a little to no Apple support. Read SOL.

Since then i have never trusted Apple anymore. Nuking a device with an update is no way to keep their customers happy. They are supposed to provide a reliable service and quality products.

i now have another iphone and hate it with passion, it does what it pleases and not what i want.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My wife’s 8 and my 8SE are both running 16.1.1 just fine, as far as I can tell.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It’s storage isn’t about full is it?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Updated my iPhone SE (2nd Gen) to iOS 16.x.x. It obliterated the Bluetooth connectivity to my car. The phone is unusable with the hands-free system. Had lunch with one of my best buds yesterday and had him connect his Galaxy to my car…worked without a hitch.

The EXTREMELY frustrating thing is, I posted the issue on an Apple forum and the Apple “tech” that responded suggested it might be the car. Sorry…this crap was all working JUST FINE until I updated THEIR product to THEIR new iOS version. Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Often times 'updates' just aren't worth the risk, or the hassle! You almost NEVER hear 'my perfectly good phone just stopped working out of the blue/all on it's own', but when you do hear about someone having phone (or PC/Laptop) issues, it's almost ALWAYS, 'it was working perfectly fine until I did the update'... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Updated my iPhone SE (2nd Gen) to iOS 16.x.x. It obliterated the Bluetooth connectivity to my car. The phone is unusable with the hands-free system. Had lunch with one of my best buds yesterday and had him connect his Galaxy to my car…worked without a hitch.
I assume you tried removing the phone from your car system and re-pairing?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yeppers…

Multiple times.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The EXTREMELY frustrating thing is, I posted the issue on an Apple forum and the Apple “tech” that responded suggested it might be the car. Sorry…this crap was all working JUST FINE until I updated THEIR product to THEIR new iOS version

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lame ass answer. Should have asked whether it could be your shoes causing the issue. Former Geek squad tech??