SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If You Were Looking To Upgrade To The iPhone 15 - You May Want To Wait: High Heat Issues
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Were Looking To Upgrade To The iPhone 15 - You May Want To Wait: High Heat Issues Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
This is why I never buy a version 1.0 of anything; car, phone etc

iPhone 15 Pro Sales Threatened By Phones Overheating Up To 122 Degrees

quote:

...A Wall Street Journal reporter topped that, obtaining a reading of 112 degrees by simultaneously charging her phone and using it in processor-heavy ways. The gold medal, however, goes to a Chinese tech platform that scored a whopping 122 degrees by downloading the "Genshin Impact" game. Simply playing the game in hi-res mode put it back in that danger zone.

Industry observers are offering competing theories about the cause of the problem. Initially, fingers were pointed at TSMC's groundbreaking 3-nm processor. However, on Wednesday, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote that he thinks materials and design are the principal suspects:

"The primary cause is more likely the compromises made in the thermal system design to achieve a lighter weight, such as the reduced heat dissipation area and the use of a titanium frame, which negatively impacts thermal efficiency."

As Apple strives for lighter and lighter phones, there's a price to be paid where heat dissipation is concerned. With the iPhone 15 Max's design centered on a new titanium frame rather than stainless steel, designers may have gone too far. “It’s the Icarus theory,” iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens tells the Wall Street Journal. “Apple flew too close to the sun, and the wings started melting off.”...

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Going to make great pocket and hand warmers for youse guys up north!

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This is why I never buy a version 1.0 of anything; car, phone etc

That's why we are going to wait until next year to upgrade our phones to a 13 or 14.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There's absolutely no excuse for this whatsoever. Apple's engineers, in attempting breakthrough case design materials, should have had the good sense to have tested the designs beyond the worst-case expected performance demands. That's just a normal and expected part of any design and development process.

Of course: Maybe they did and some PHBs overrode their counsel. BTDT. (It always ended badly.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
What even funnier about Crap-ple is the “new design” it breaks much easier because the metal rear plate is now not apart of the rear plate.

Another great design by Apple. What a joke. Oh forgot now you get a 5x lens camera for that phone, a huge leap forward from that 3x.

Oh and you can have this new Apple Watch that’s the same as the previous watch , that was the same as the one before that. That was the same design as the one before that.

Apple died with Steve Jobs.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
iPhones have always run incredibly hot during long gaming sessions. Go check out the Max Tech channel on Youtube where they use thermal cameras during high stress gaming tests.

This has been an Apple problem for several generations. It's not anything new. Just click bait.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This is why I never buy a version 1.0 of anything; car, phone etc.
What version do you wait for; 16, 17?

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot to be said about poor quality control these days, but most of the iPhone 15P heat-related hyperbolic news/clickbait dogpile seems to be related to the Instagram app causing issues.

Glad to see we have a thread-based opportunity for a disgruntled dogpile here, at least outside of the other Apple threads.

It’s like a honeypot. Smile

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I love baked Apples!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
So, if you're not gaming no big deal?
Wife just replaced her 7 with a 15. I've been thinking of trading my 12 Pro Max on a new 15 Pro Max. Only going to be a couple hundred bucks. I'm interested in the satellite SOS capability.
Not too worried about impact resistance as I always have my phones in an Otterbox Defender and I use the good screen protector.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
youse guys

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38716 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This is a non issue guys.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3979 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bill Shakespeare said it first: Much Ado About Nothing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
So, if you're not gaming no big deal?
Wife just replaced her 7 with a 15. I've been thinking of trading my 12 Pro Max on a new 15 Pro Max. Only going to be a couple hundred bucks. I'm interested in the satellite SOS capability.
Not too worried about impact resistance as I always have my phones in an Otterbox Defender and I use the good screen protector.

Basically any long term processor intensive tasks will generate high heat levels, but graphics intensive games are the most common.

Something else in that review I linked also goes into the USB-C port and the different USB hubs and accessories you can now hook up to your iPhone and run from your phone that the old Lightning port wouldn't power properly or needed an extra dongle to sort of make work. I've got a USB-C headphone DAC that will transmit aptX Adaptive signals to bluetooth headphones for better sound quality Apple's integrated bluetooth chip can't reach.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Reading reports that people having the phone get uncomfortably hot during Instagram and Facebook use too. Not just gaming. They clearly went bleeding edge possibly too far bleeding edge with this.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just the annual media reports making something out of nothing

“Let’s see if it can survive a fall from 12,000ft and still work…. It broke!!! I told you it was a piece of crap”

Let’s bend it in half and see if it springs back”

I laugh at these types of articles. Yes I have a 15 pro max. No heat issues here. My 14 ran hotter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I just replaced my iPhone 6 with a 13 a little while back, so I guess I'm good for a while.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16535 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

maybe, maybe not. 122 degrees F is above what is considered "safe" for extended-time skin contact.

But, what we have not seen is data from a real thermal engineer who works in a real thermal test lab.

WSJ talking to some idiot who measured 122 deg certainly gets clicks, but where are the test results from a real (certified) test lab ?

There are plenty of these certified labs, around. They run about $300 per hour. Let's see some real results and not just results from someone who bought a thermometer off of Ebay.

Shit, if someone brought me test results like this, the first thing I'd ask is for the NIST traceable calibration cert for that thermometer.

but that said, maybe it's a problem, maybe not. we just don't have any real data that we can trust yet.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yet we do have thermal images of several genereations of iPhone being this hot with repeatable data.

In regards to Facebook and Instagram, a software bug in the apps and how they work on iOS 17 is likely the culprit and will get patched either by Apple or by the app developer like it always has been.

It's not new and just like your CUT says, ignored facts still exist.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Evidently, according to video “reviews” it also won’t stand up to:

Being blowtorched
Carved on with a utility knife
Being folded in half
Hurling it at a brick wall

Not sure how I have made it 20+ years with cell phones and avoided all of those hazardous situations that evidently should be part of the QC testing protocols.

Roll Eyes

My 15 Pro Max should arrive in a couple weeks, sounds like I may be able to save on our winter heating bills.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10952 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post